Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Why you never want a public defender. 
 Post subject: Re: Why you never want a public defender.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

diamondsj wrote:
maybe I read too much into the OP post...I took the post to mean that PDs were of a poorer quality than private attorneys -- a misnomer I have heard too often over the course of several years.

I have to say, in the Jury trials I worked on, both PD's were very competent. The first Prosecutor was very competent appearing, and the second was completely out classed.
Unfortunately for the second, very capable, PD, her client's case gave her very little to work with. She worked it hard and competently though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is not just here that our PD's have issues.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/08/17/not-enough-money-or-time-defend-detroits-poor/

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:27 pm 

diamondsj wrote:
I do agree that PDs are spread thin. However, the OP stated that people are better off hiring a private attorney because time = win. I disagree with that statement because ...

Though mine was not the OP, the above seems in resonse t my post:

"7. On an individual level, a person should be better off hiring a good private criminal defnese lawyer - not because Public Defenders are bad lawyers; but because you can pay a private lawyer for their time. Time worked is the key to winning."

I do believe that more time worked on a case by a lawyer, is generally correlated with a better outcome for that lawyer's client - other factors being equal of course.

In my post I defended Public Defenders. They do amazing work, even more so given the resources available to them.

Is it best to have the best lawyer you can find, and pay them enough so they can stop taking other cases and devote their time to your case, and lots of it? Yes. Are there other kinds of help that cost money, like investigators, scientists, experts, that can provide an advantage as well? Yes.

I have that feeling that some of these disagreements are the product of tripping over words over the internet! Over a beer, I sense there would be understanding!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 pm 
Wise Elder

Some public defenders really do engage in AMAZING efforts :oops: ; like this guy.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111811319

It is unethical to represent a client whose case presents issues beyond your capabilities or to present a baseless defense (without labs and investigation, many defense cases have no substance at all). Some time, somewhere, the public defenders are going to find the backbone to refuse to be forced to commit malpractice, case after case. Work the three cases you can and refuse to appear in any of the others. Break the system if need be but stop participating in this giant malpractice scheme.

BTW, the Minnesota Supreme Court has recognized the "fix" that PD's are in. Years ago, the Court made it impossible to sue a PD for malpractice. Neat. Cheap too.

Last edited by SethB on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
fix URL

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.