Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Carry at the State Fair? 
 Post subject: Re: Carry at the State Fair?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Onesimus wrote:
I went yesterday, and saw a sign on my way in. We drove in looking to park on the north side. They filed us across the north side and then took money for parking and admission as the road curved back to the south, along the west side of "Machinery Hill". It was there, as it curved south, that we saw the sign hanging on the fence. It would be very easy to miss. We parked down by the Grandstand and entered right by the Skycar depot. I didn't see any more signs down there, just the one, which was probably missed when the others around the fair were being removed.

I got my permit in April. I was fairly certain the sign itself was illegal, but decided to lock my gun in its box in my car just in case. I didn't want any trouble. I determined to look it up once I got home. Next year I will be carrying.

Welcome, by the way!

I think you're one of the few who actually saw a sign this year...maybe they missed one when they were removing the others. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am 

JimC wrote:
It's funny reading these fair postings. Everyone's happy they pulled one over on "The man" lol

Yep, that's why I carry. I have no inclination to protect myself and my family. I just want to brag on gun forums about the fact that I legally carried my pistol in a potentially dangerous place without anyone noticing.

By the way, does "The Man" reside at the state fair grounds all year round or just a week and a half in the fall?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 am 

mrokern wrote:
Welcome, by the way!

I think you're one of the few who actually saw a sign this year...maybe they missed one when they were removing the others. :lol:

-Mark

Thanks! And yeah, I got that impression once I got home. I was 99% sure that sign was not legal, but didn't wasn't looking for a fight if I happened to be "made" by anyone in a position to do anything about it. It's not the first time I've locked my gun up to avoid trouble and learned after the fact there wouldn't have been any either way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm 

I came in from one of the North parking lots this afternoon -- looked all over and saw no sign.

No one ever noticed my LCP anyways :)
b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am 

We went again on Tuesday and parked by the Heritage Square. As you are driving in, the ticket booth had a sign posted on it. Easy to miss as the people selling tickets were standing right in front of it and I wasn't driving at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 pm 

Apparently they don't care too much. I wrote and specifically asked their stance on this. Their reply? A BLANK email. I guess that means "go ahead" !

The Fair's stance posted on older accounts "it's just common sense" and "the Fair is a safe place" seem wildly out of touch. I sure the recent rape victims might disagree on the safety part. And to me, common sense would not be to disarm trained law abiding individuals, while allowing (if they are not running metal detectors, then they are allowing it) law breakers (such as gang bangers etc) to carry seems contrary to common sense.

I would also like to ask where I get the state fair police officer to walk us to and from our vehicle parked several blocks from the fair grounds, in the dark. That's why I'm carrying, not because I anticipate problems at the corn dog booth. I carry everywhere, every day, that's the only way you'll have it when you need it. You can't predict when you will. Ask the people at the McDonalds that was shot up. I don't they were expecting trouble.

As for the Mall of America comparison, that's a business, the Minnesota State Fair is just that, MINNESOTA STATE. It's a State run organization. I worked in uniform and as part of a task force there many years ago, so I know who controls it.

And lastly, don't you wonder about some members of this board who seem to be against carrying? It makes one curious of their motives for joining.
Just my two cents.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I went today. Saw no signs, had no problems. Saw Pat Anderson at the GOP booth.

Maybe the RKBA crowd ought to have a booth somewhere at the Fair?

Anyway, there were some interesting things there... I saw 2 different petitions, one for Instant Runoff Voting, and one against. Any one have view on this?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

This sign is posted at the Como & Snelling entrance as it has been for the last four years:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe our group here should get a booth at the fair, Promote carrying, getting a permit etc. Good business for Instructors & lawyers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
Maybe our group here should get a booth at the fair, Promote carrying, getting a permit etc. Good business for Instructors & lawyers

I'd be quite happy participating in such a booth; I think it's a very safe bet to say i'm not the only one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
JimC wrote:

I'd be quite happy participating in such a booth; I think it's a very safe bet to say i'm not the only one.

You're not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am not an instructor, and I can be a lil goofy . .. but I am personable & I'd LOVE to share the gospel of polite society in a booth at the fair next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 pm 

Took myself to the fair yesterday. Pocket carried a 642.

I like to play a game of "check the patches." It's like when you're on a road trip and look for out of state license plates. I like to see where all the different cops come from. Talked to a few and admitted to being embarrassed that I hadn't heard of their town and inquired where it was.

Talked to one DPS officer. She was from Alcohol & Gambling. I said that I didn't know they had a uniformed division. She said they didn't, but she has it for working gigs like the fair.

A good time was had by all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 pm 

I'll have me pocket Taurus 617 tonight when I go.

Red

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Second trip to the Fair went as well as the first. We used the park and ride from the UofM and this time I didn't see signs. Tucked T-shirt and no issues, though while we were near the Republican booth a guy (and I think it was the same one that showed up at the Carry Picnic) came out of the crowd to holler "liars" at the Republican booth and get mocked for a second or two before he melted back into the crowd. Certainly not an issue but it did underscore for me how quickly a hit and run hoodlum can disappear in a crowd. I spotted alot more plain clothes officers this go round, and a lot more photographer's vests and fanny packs with the pull cord thingys as well. I only saw one other person with the tale tell loops of a tuckable IWB, but that made me feel quite a bit better about how I was carrying as I only spotted his because I was actively looking and his belt didn't match the loops very well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.