Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Carry at the State Fair? 
 Post subject: Re: Carry at the State Fair?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 am 

mrokern wrote:
I didn't see any signs either..."made" a couple people, though. :-)

Don't identify them...but how was they carrying? (So we can choose to avoid that method, or improve that method's concealment)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:42 am 
Journeyman Member

I came in the west gate, signs were prominent over there. I was the grey bearded guy in the red tee shirt and green sweater with the little black fanny pack in front. Sunday morning.

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
mrokern wrote:
I didn't see any signs either..."made" a couple people, though. :-)

Don't identify them...but how was they carrying? (So we can choose to avoid that method, or improve that method's concealment)

Sure. One doesn't really count, because the normal public would have no idea. That guy was wearing a Galco fanny pack. I only spotted it was because I know exactly what those look like, especially the pullcord. There were enough other folks in fanny packs (I saw hundreds, at least) that you wouldn't stand out in any way with one of these except to someone who knew precisely what to look for.

There was another guy wearing what looked to be a compact 1911 IWB who flashed when he bent over a stroller and his t-shirt rode up. I was walking by and politely muttered "you're flashing FYI". He looked up, I just winked...he smirked and gave me a thumbs up while adjusting.

I also spotted at least four other folks in 5.11 pants or shorts. I don't know for sure, but that's a good sign that they are either LEOs or permit holders. I can't talk, I was wearing 5.11 pants too. :lol: Again, it's nothing that an average person would even know about.

May I also note that there were a few SAD looking LEOs there. The worst was from (if I remember correctly) Prairie View. Gut hanging over the duty belt, no vest (WTF, even if you are from the middle of nowhere, when you are at the fair you're doing LE work in the midst of the metro...wear a damn vest, stupid!), horribly worn-out 5.11 pants, and the cheapest, most raggedy-looking nylon duty gear (holes in pouches, flaps torn up, faded to a dull grey, and, I kid you not, what looked to be an Uncle Mike's generic holster with thumb break). Take some pride in yourself, man...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:32 am 

I went Sunday afternoon. No signs that I could see. I took the Hawaiian route and didn't have any problems. I was printing, but I'm a little less paranoid about it than I used to be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

If i went to the fair, with my luck my new Glock 18 would fall into a deep fryer :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
If i went to the fair, with my luck my new Glock 18 would fall into a deep fryer :D

With luck, you wouldn't have to tell the cops how you got your hands on a full-auto Glock in the first place... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carried on Saturday and I don't think anyone was actively checking for them. I carried IWB with a shirt hanging over them, doubt anyone could tell.

I was looking to ID people that might be carrying and to be honest I didn't see a single person.

As far as signs there technically was one at the entrance by the Haunted House, but it was WAY off to the side so I only noticed it on the way out and only then because I was looking really hard for one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:37 am 

kecker wrote:
I carried on Saturday and I don't think anyone was actively checking for them. I carried IWB with a shirt hanging over them, doubt anyone could tell.

I was looking to ID people that might be carrying and to be honest I didn't see a single person.

As far as signs there technically was one at the entrance by the Haunted House, but it was WAY off to the side so I only noticed it on the way out and only then because I was looking really hard for one.

I saw the same sign when we got there, we park in the motorcycle lot, I carried all day there and nobody but me and the wife knew about it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 am 

I carried all day Sunday while working the merchandise tent in the grandstand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:27 pm 
Journeyman Member

In and out, no issues. I never have any with a Kel-Tec PF9 in a pocket holster and khaki shorts with cargo pockets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:45 pm 
Journeyman Member

I will be going this Saturday with the whole fam damnily. Don Hume IWB at 4 o'clock with my XDSC 9. Anyone going that wants to meet up and eat some curds - lemme know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's funny reading these fair postings. Everyone's happy they pulled one over on "The man" lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't believe it is so much "pulling one over on the man" . . . for myself I was happy that we went, I was armed, and there were no incidents. I didn't want to get kicked out or involved in another issolated incident, but I also didn't want to go without the means to defend my family. This isn't "Nah, Nee, nah, nah" so much as a "Yeehaw" report:

Monday: there with my parents, prego wife and our child. I was wearing floral print cargo shorts and a bright blue button down. Wow that sounds bad :shock:
See, that doesn't look that bad :roll: Anyway, Srig's tuckable did a good job of hiding things when I decided to tuck. I went with my shirt untucked, but was feeling like that wonderful little breeze was too likely to give me too much exposure, so I ducked in a restroom stall and tucked the shirt tails in. Of course all the bending down and picking up the lil girl worked to untuck my shirt a bit too much, but everything stayed where it should and there were no issues.

By the way, Srig's tuckable IWB survived the retention test of the "The SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge" Roller Coaster at MoA on Sunday. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 am 

I went yesterday, and saw a sign on my way in. We drove in looking to park on the north side. They filed us across the north side and then took money for parking and admission as the road curved back to the south, along the west side of "Machinery Hill". It was there, as it curved south, that we saw the sign hanging on the fence. It would be very easy to miss. We parked down by the Grandstand and entered right by the Skycar depot. I didn't see any more signs down there, just the one, which was probably missed when the others around the fair were being removed.

I got my permit in April. I was fairly certain the sign itself was illegal, but decided to lock my gun in its box in my car just in case. I didn't want any trouble. I determined to look it up once I got home. Next year I will be carrying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am 
The Man

JimC wrote:
It's funny reading these fair postings. Everyone's happy they pulled one over on "The man" lol
Nah. Nobody's putting one over on me.

Not even the State Fair folks, who have -- wisely -- passed the word around not to mess with permit holders simply for carrying at the Fair. They don't want a fight with us at the moment; and, IMHO and all, we've got other fish more in needing of frying right now.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.