Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tazer 
 Post subject: Re: Tazer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
If I were a good-guy, I would rather use spray than a taser.
Lenny7 wrote:
tepin wrote:
If I had to pick between taser and pepper spray, I would opt for the spray.

Are you picking as the good guy or the bad guy? If I were a bad guy, (and I'm not), I'd rather be tazed than sprayed.

And Fox Labs, at that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tazer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

If a taser were a firearm (which it is not), it would be a "dangerous weapon" as defined in 609.02 - If the taser were a dangerous weapon, its use would be considered "deadly force" which requires all elements of the AOJ-P be present for the tasers use to be lawful. Considering how law enforcement uses tasers currently (for fun maybe), this would indicate that the taser is not considered to be a dangerous weapon and not a firearm. :)

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

A Taser fires two barbs (projectiles) using compressed air. This would put it under the definition of a "firearm".

Quote:
Minn. Stat. 97A.015 Subd. 19.Firearm.

"Firearm" means a gun that discharges shot or a projectile by means of an explosive, a gas, or compressed air.

Caselaw:

State v. Seifert: the supreme court, as one of three bases for upholding an aggravated robbery conviction, held that a CO2 BB pistol qualified as a “firearm.” 256 N.W.2d 87, 88 (Minn. 1977). State v. Seifert held that the legislature intended a broad definition of "firearm," one not restricted to weapons using gunpowder.

State v. Newman: this court used the definition from Seifert to conclude that a high-velocity air gun, which fired BBs, qualified as a “firearm” under the drive-by shooting statute. 538 N.W.2d 476, 477-78 (Minn. App. 1995)

My advice to a person who wishes to carry a Taser would be to acquire a Permit-to-Carry.

I would also advise them to carry a handgun in addition to the Taser. :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.