Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Renewal classes suspended? 
 Post subject: Renewal classes suspended?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 am 
Journeyman Member

I just saw a message on a local gun store site that carry renewal classes are suspended until April of 2010. Apparently due to some legal hitch. Can anybody elaborate?

Post subject: Re: Renewal classes suspended?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Because there was a brief time period when the carry law was suspended 5 years ago, 5 years later there is a brief time when there will be no renewals.

Although since one can take their class up to a year before renewing, one wonders why a given organization would cease offering renewals.

One also wonders what sort of short-cuts this organization is taking if they are differentiating between renewals and new applicants in their class scheduling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 am 
The Man

It's kind of bizarre, at that. I'm not sure what the folks at Bill's are thinking, really.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:12 am 
The Man

Cam wrote:
I just saw a message on a local gun store site that carry renewal classes are suspended until April of 2010. Apparently due to some legal hitch. Can anybody elaborate?

Just to be clear -- because the folks at Bill's sure weren't -- it's the decision of Bill's to suspend their own classes. Nobody else has to suspend doing renewals just because Bill's has made that choice, and I expect that few, if any, other instructors will follow Bill's lead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cool, less competition for me! :mrgreen:

Anyone over at Bill's, feel free to refer your paying customers my direction.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

That is funny as Bill's still has a link on the front page to renew your permit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks for your replies everybody. They certainly helped to clear things up. It seems like, after making that statement, Bill's could have (should have) clarified things a bit more for the less politically informed among us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm still trying to figure out where the constitution fits into the whole thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:11 pm 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out where the constitution fits into the whole thing.
That's easy -- the folks at Bill's are constitutionally incapable of expressing something clearly or completely. On a good day, they can sometimes stumble into accurately, but there's not a lot of good days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:33 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Is this a case of overthinking? I guess it makes sense...

I think it takes more energy to explain the situation because of posting the notice/sign, than to just refuse a "renewal" when a few people ask about it. Even saying "a few" is probably more than who would inquire about a renewal class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Presumably they are still offering classes for new applicants though right?? I'm not an instructor, I don't play one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so maybe I'm missing something here. But how is taking a renewal overwhelmingly different than a new applicant??

I mean they'll probably have less questions...actually maybe more since they've been there, done that and have seen the potential pitfalls they didn't think about the first time. But really, if you're doing new applicants, why not renewals?? What is the possible justification for this??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bill's renewal classes are significantly shorter than regular new classes. I took their renewal and was out in four hours. I believe the regular class is 6 to 8 hours.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 pm 
The Man

kecker wrote:
Presumably they are still offering classes for new applicants though right?? I'm not an instructor, I don't play one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so maybe I'm missing something here. But how is taking a renewal overwhelmingly different than a new applicant??

I mean they'll probably have less questions...actually maybe more since they've been there, done that and have seen the potential pitfalls they didn't think about the first time. But really, if you're doing new applicants, why not renewals?? What is the possible justification for this??
Lack of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The theory behind the generally-open, abbreviated renewal class is, roughly, that the applicant:

a: got everything that the instructor thinks that they should have in their original class, and

b: retained or picked up in the interim all of the important stuff that is going to be skipped in the renewal, and

c: will be able to retain or quickly pick up the other stuff.

I'm pretty skeptical about b: and c:, and I'm confident that, from my POV, a: is untrue in the Coconut Charlie classes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok still seems silly as all hell.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.