Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 OC picnic leads to mixed result. 
 Post subject: Re: OC picnic leads to mixed result.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm 
The Man

CowboyJunkie wrote:
What were they scared of?

First with the bikes, now with civil rights......more apples and oranges.
I think you should consider going out for a little fruit salad; you're going to need more nutrition if you're going to try to keep up, here.

That said, if you're just here to troll, there's always Rule Zero.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm 
Trolling Doofus

Keep up?

Looks like I'm already ahead.

Of course, if that's not permitted......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm 
The Man

CowboyJunkie wrote:
Keep up?

Looks like I'm already ahead.

Of course, if that's not permitted......

I think you'll be happier at the day care site. Bye.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 am 

Wow, you shouldn't exercise a right because someone might not like it. :bang:

As far as the city council passing an ordinance prohibiting carry in the park; do these people not understand that the only people that will lawfully follow the ordinance are already law abiding citizens and the ones they need to worry about won't pay any attention to their 'ordinance'. :bang: :bang: :bang:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:36 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Nope they don't and Cowboy Junkie doesn't understand the only legal way to carry in Wisconsin is openly and that we have a 137 year old law prohibiting concealed carry.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 am 

There were a lot of uncomfortable people in my and my wife's family when I started to carry (often openly) eight months ago. Since it has since become ubiquitous, not only do they not mind but they now understand how much safer they are when they are with me and encourage me to carry.

Is it possible that the same could happen with the public at large?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 am 

Below is a reply from a friend in a Green Bay Gun club.

Steve,

There's going to be a showdown in front of the entire city council tomorrow night. I plan on asking them how they are going to explain to the voters where they figure on coming up with the money to defend themselves against the lawsuits that are going to be filed against the city and any and all involved with the issuance of any such illegal ordinance, being that the state has a preemption statute that specifically prohibits them from enacting such a ban. Then I plan on adding insult to injury by asking them to provide proof that members of the city attorney's office have taken the state bar exam. (Anyone who attends UW or UM Law Schools don't have to take the WI bar exam to practice law in WI; it's a perk for attending those schools - that equals some of the most incompetent attorneys on the planet "practicing" law in WI!) [Get graded on attendance, not performance!]

The local (Gannett) newspaper intentionally misquoted the leader of the local pro-open carry movement, making it sound as if he didn't want his supporters to attend the council meeting to express their opposition to the ban on open carry in the city parks, but then again, what does one expect from the media?!

Film at 11!

Rick
----- Original

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: OC picnic leads to mixed result
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:48 am 

Steve,

We beat them! Actually they even beat themselves. When the dust cleared, the council chairman, who had been on vacation when the proposal had been made by the park committee, asked who, specifically, had recommended the legislation to ban open carry in city parks, since there was no "ownership" attached to the legislation as required by the council, the mayor repeatedly tried to dodge the issue. The council chairman persisted in determining the authorship and origin of the bill, and through repeated parries by the mayor finally got him to confess that indeed, it was the mayor that had authored the specious idea. He tried laying it off on "the committee" but it just didn't fly.

One by one, citizens, several not even gun owners, spoke their collective minds (me included) on the subject and the recurring theme was that regardless of your opinion of guns, no one has the right to circumvent the individual's constitutional rights to keep and bear arms. My brief presentation included the fact that I am a retired, disabled state certified law enforcement officer with 16 years on the job, that I hold a Florida non-resident concealed carry permit honored in 29 states, have worked as a deputy U.S. marshal for a Federal District Judge and in that capacity served the entire Green Bay School Board with summons' in the city's first ever civil rights case back in 1969 and enjoyed every minute of it; worked for a local law firm of which three partners went on to become judges, one of whom is now a sitting State Supreme Court Justice, and know and have probably have forgotten more state and federal law than everyone else in the room combined. ("You could have heard a pin drop!")

Then I asked them, "Who do you think you are to presume to inflict your personal biases upon those to whom you owe your current political positions? And who do you expect to pay for your individual and collective legal expenses when you are sued for exceeding your authority?!" ("You could have heard a pin drop! Again!") (These last two made it onto the local TV news.)

When all was said and done, there was only one confused female who spoke in favor of the ban. One of our group rebutted her by quoting from the constitution. Then the "black agitator" councilwoman tried equating the regulation of dogs (being on leash) in parks with regulation of open carry in parks as being analogous. One of the other council members rebutted her by saying there are no constitutional amendments guaranteeing the rights of dogs. When she asked the Chief of Police for the department's view on the ban, he answered that they were in favor of it as another step toward a safer (for them) community. That set off the other councilman who caught the Chief in his own statement of trying to make policy, not part of his job description.

One of the more colorful councilmen is the County Board Chairman as well, and he's a real piece of work. Fortunately, tonight he was on our side! He even went so far as to say he was unaware of the fact that the County had a similar ordinance. Now he's toying with the idea of rescinding that. I'm going to work him for all it's worth on that one!

After all was said and done, the vote was the three original "idiot" puppet sponsors in favor, and the rest of the council opposed. It's dead!

Rick

There is nothing I can Add to this Except "A JOB Well Done"!

Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Arrogant politicians. What a concept.

But, I do love a happy ending. :D

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 am 
Longtime Regular

How come Rick doesn't have an HR 218 permit?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

perhaps his agency will not provide the documentation or puts up roadblocks. IIRC, Chicago does something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:04 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
How come Rick doesn't have an HR 218 permit?

He may, but that would not necessarily have helped him make his point, IMO. I was wondering the same thing (HR218 Permit) as I reading it. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: OC newspaper Article / City Council Green Bay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:33 am 

You have been sent an online news article from Rick as a courtesy of greenbaypressgazette.com.

Article Title:
Green Bay City Council preserves open carry of guns

To view the contents on www.greenbaypressgazette.com, go to:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... /909020636

Rick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:50 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Well, so much for the "mixed result" theory. Sounds like a great outcome to me.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looks like the newspaper forgot to mention that the city had no authority to impose such a ban.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.