Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Robbers hit two backyard gatherings in Minneapolis !?! 
 Post subject: Robbers hit two backyard gatherings in Minneapolis !?!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:53 pm 

...from the "why do I carry file"...

www.startribune.com/local/57609362.html

Post subject: Re: Robbers hit two backyard gatherings in Minneapolis !?!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 pm 

Agreed.

Also, the Strib needs to allow commenting on local news, not just national stuff. Or are they worried that reality would seep in that way?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:24 pm 

Nice descriptions. The Strib had a comments section on this article. It was gone after the first few comments were made.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:38 pm 

I mentioned these crimes to The Rodentwoman and she asked me why I don't carry all the time, in the house and yard. Gotta love that!

In fact I DID carry today, went to Clarabella's, Gouger Mt, Best Buy, and CVS. And around the house and in the yard........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

For the record:

Quote:
Robbers hit two backyard gatherings in Minneapolis

It started as a fun evening on a pleasant Labor Day weekend in south Minneapolis. Eight people in their 20s had gotten together on a warm, starry night to grill out, listen to music, have a few drinks and play a beanbag game.

But a few hours later, about 1:45 a.m. Saturday, as they sat in a driveway in the 5300 block of Chicago Avenue S., the group was suddenly accosted by a pair of young men wearing hooded sweatshirts and bandanas over their faces.

Amy Diehl, one of the victims, said the men came up the alley and around a hedge. One had a gun. "He said, 'Give us everything you have, keep your head down or I'll shoot you,' and then a lot of other choice words," Diehl said Sunday.

At 2:45 a.m. Sunday, the same thing happened in a back yard in the 5200 block of 10th Avenue S., just a few blocks from the first incident.

But this time there was a confrontation, and a man attending the gathering was shot in the abdomen before the suspects fled on foot, Minneapolis police Sgt. William Palmer said.

The unidentified shooting victim was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition Sunday, said Palmer.

Police warned residents of south Minneapolis' Page and Hale neighborhoods about the robberies and asked them to be on the lookout for the suspects, who are believed to be 14 to 20 years old.

"We want people to try to enjoy their holiday, but we also want them to be aware of their surroundings and we want to make sure that people stay safe," Palmer said.

Peace of the night shattered

Just before the first robbery, the driveway had been well-lit, with a stereo playing quietly in the garage, said those at the scene.

Diehl said her first reaction to the robbers' demand for money was disbelief. "I was thinking, like, 'Are you serious? We're just kids hanging out. What would we have to give you?' "

The robbers took five wallets, two cell phones and a pack of cigarettes.

"It seems like a lot of work for nothing," said Diehl, since the robbers got less than $100 in cash and a few "now-useless credit cards."

Casey Kespohl, who lives across the alley and down one house from the scene of the first robbery, was not aware of the incident until informed by a reporter. He said he felt bad for the victims, especially one couple that just moved into the neighborhood. "For them to be taken advantage of, that's hard to hear," he said. "It's a shame."

Kespohl said he had relatives visiting over the weekend, and had also spent time the previous evening with them in his back yard.

"It's alarming," he said. "It's really a challenge when you like where you live and you like your neighbors, to hear that those sorts of things are happening. You feel a bit violated."

A plea to the perpetrators

Diehl said she wanted to give the perpetrators a personal message:

"It's a serious, serious thing, and obviously it can escalate to someone in the hospital or someone dead," she said. "If you're 17, do you really want to be in prison for the rest of your life for some stupid, stupid thing, for 40 bucks maybe?"

Authorities asked anyone with information to call police during business hours at 612-673-2921 or after hours at 612-919-9362. They also asked the public to report any suspicious behavior immediately by calling 911.

Tom Meersman • 612-673-7388

I have a personal message to the perpetrators, too. "Don't try my house. We shoot back."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:30 am 

People are shocked when they hear about this type of crime....."I can't believe this happened in Minneapolis" but they don't realize we import the "Cream of the Crop" of the Permanent Criminal Underclass from all over the country.

The perps were 14-17 .....Once you realize that they're Ghetto Bunnies from Chicago/Detroit/Gary, Indiana/New Orleans....the shock of this type of Juvenile Violence evaporates...

Those kids were Fukked-at-Birth...Justice would be for Liberal Politicians to get some of the blame for this.

It's a small bit of Justice to see the Star-Tribune slowly circling-the-bowl on it's way to the treatment plant.

it was a Hoot to hear some of the reporters, after another round of lay-offs, blaming George Bush for their problems. Hahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:21 pm 

My neighborhood. Me no likey. I'd like to hear the details involved in the actual shooting (the 2nd robbery).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

adjudicator wrote:
My neighborhood. Me no likey. I'd like to hear the details involved in the actual shooting (the 2nd robbery).

I've got family about a mile from these incidents. One of them is very anti (through naivety, not through any educated view...yes, I'm working on it), and I'm hoping she's pretty rattled right now.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I phoned the reporter, left a message. Asked why no description, and why there were no comments allowed on the Strib website on matters of local interest.

I don't expect a return call till tomorrow at earliest, if at all.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Reporter just called me back. Said the description was exactly what the MPD released. He said they did talk to some folks who had friends and relatives there, and indeed they appeared to be black kids, but because it was second-hand hearsay, couldn't report it as fact.

As to the comments section, they often close it down if the first batch of comments gets clearly hateful, as it did in this case. In the future, they may go to requiring commenters to leave their names.

He said he's gotten a lot of feedback on this one.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:58 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
Reporter just called me back. Said the description was exactly what the MPD released. He said they did talk to some folks who had friends and relatives there, and indeed they appeared to be black kids, but because it was second-hand hearsay, couldn't report it as fact.

As to the comments section, they often close it down if the first batch of comments gets clearly hateful, as it did in this case. In the future, they may go to requiring commenters to leave their names.

He said he's gotten a lot of feedback on this one.

Yes, first rule of journalism (Red Star-style) is that you don't want to allow the expression of outrage at people committing crimes and generally being dreggs of society. But do allow and publicize the misguided outrage at other responsible citizens doing legal things, like riding snowmobiles, carrying weapons for protection, hunting, etc. Because remember, it's OK if people break the law because it really isn't their fault, they were given a bad chance at life. But when people are doing things that aren't yet illegal we really need to work at making those things illegal.
< sarcasm off >

BB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Rodentman wrote:
I mentioned these crimes to The Rodentwoman and she asked me why I don't carry all the time, in the house and yard. Gotta love that!

In fact I DID carry today, went to Clarabella's, Gouger Mt, Best Buy, and CVS. And around the house and in the yard........

This is why I carry in the house and anywhere I go. No place is completely safe anymore, (as if it ever was).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 am 

Note to self: When being quoted by a newspaper, don't say half-wit, moronic things like, "I was thinking, like, Are you serious?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:43 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/57833887.html
Quote:
St. Paul police are investigating whether two armed robberies are connected to two back-yard robberies over the weekend in Minneapolis.

All the cases share "striking similarities," said Sgt. Paul Schnell, a St. Paul police spokesman, including young male suspects wearing hooded sweat shirts and bandanas who fire a shot into the air.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/57833887.html
Quote:
St. Paul police are investigating whether two armed robberies are connected to two back-yard robberies over the weekend in Minneapolis.

All the cases share "striking similarities," said Sgt. Paul Schnell, a St. Paul police spokesman, including young male suspects wearing hooded sweat shirts and bandanas who fire a shot into the air.

Good, let's keep them moving east until they hit Wisconsin. Seems like the badgers have a pretty good shots-fired vs dead-bad-guy ratio going over there lately...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.