Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Continuing Education 
 Post subject: Continuing Education
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I stopped by the North Regional library today with my openly carried firearm on my hip. The unarmed security guy, a barely 21 year old guy, asks if I am LEO. Told I am not, he informs me I must not carry in the library. We have the usual chat with me explaining the law and, in fact, other libraries have the disclaimer on their signs about how the sign does not apply to permit holders.

He then asks if I will at least cover it up. Sure.

While I'm standing there waiting for something else, he asks about my gun and then says he just took the class for his "conceal and carry" permit. I ask him, since he has been wrong on all counts so far, from whom did he take his class. Now, before you all get ahead of me, no, it was not Coconut Charlie, although that was the answer I was expecting.

It was..............................................................................................................(big drum roll) Bill's.

We talked more and I explained government entities and their ability to post, that it is a permit to carry, concealed is not in the law, and several other facts. He seemed eager to learn. In fact, the library lady helping me also seemed impressed with my knowledge and understanding of the law. I did encourage him to go back to Bill's and either ask to take another instructor's class for free or get a refund. I also encouraged him to mention to his boss the need to get a refresher so correct info can be given to all the security guys.

We shall see.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Continuing Education
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
I stopped by the North Regional library today with my openly carried firearm on my hip. The unarmed security guy, a barely 21 year old guy, asks if I am LEO. Told I am not, he informs me I must not carry in the library. We have the usual chat with me explaining the law and, in fact, other libraries have the disclaimer on their signs about how the sign does not apply to permit holders.

He then asks if I will at least cover it up. Sure.

While I'm standing there waiting for something else, he asks about my gun and then says he just took the class for his "conceal and carry" permit. I ask him, since he has been wrong on all counts so far, from whom did he take his class. Now, before you all get ahead of me, no, it was not Coconut Charlie, although that was the answer I was expecting.

It was..............................................................................................................(big drum roll) Bill's.

We talked more and I explained government entities and their ability to post, that it is a permit to carry, concealed is not in the law, and several other facts. He seemed eager to learn. In fact, the library lady helping me also seemed impressed with my knowledge and understanding of the law. I did encourage him to go back to Bill's and either ask to take another instructor's class for free or get a refund. I also encouraged him to mention to his boss the need to get a refresher so correct info can be given to all the security guys.

We shall see.

Damn, I need to hang out at the library more often...a great chance for me to hand out my business cards! :D

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:01 pm 

Interesting.

I took my class at Bill's North from Nate Warren -- these topics were covered in some detail.

I'd love to know who he took his class from.
b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

bstrawse wrote:
Interesting.

I took my class at Bill's North from Nate Warren -- these topics were covered in some detail.

I'd love to know who he took his class from.
b

I think you've hit the issue on the head: inconsistent instruction there.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:36 am 

There are also instructors who rent a space at bills.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 am 
The Man

Moby Clarke wrote:

Unsurprising. The quality of instruction is very, very spotty there. I think there are a couple of decent instructors at Bill's, but there's some inherent problems in their setup, and attitude.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:25 pm 

portsari wrote:
There are also instructors who rent a space at bills.

I was wondering about that. I thought at Bill's it would just be 'their' people. I took my class at Bill's North location before it was Bill's, it was Armored Fire back then. I wondered if since the change over if independent instructors still taught out of there or if it was only Bill's employees.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 pm 

I shoot a Bill's alot, both north and south. I have seen alot of independent instructors working at both place's. The independents are easy to spot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

How does the state regulate instruction programs? If they do.

If enough complaints were filed against Bill's, could the state make them get their act together with their carry classes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:10 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
How does the state regulate instruction programs? If they do.
In practice, their regulation varies between slim and none. This is something that, apparently, folks like Gary Shade and Joe Penaz are happy about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:23 am 
Journeyman Member

it is amazing how many folks think it is a conceal and carry law versus just a permit to carry. it bugs me to no end when those who have received a permit refer to it as a conceal and carry. I often wonder if that is what it was referred to in the class they took.
I went to my first class in pierz back in 2003 by a former LEO and took my refresher last fall from two guys near Brainerd (you probably know them) and they all made sure we knew it was a permit to carry.

Last edited by Saunassa on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 am 
The Man

Yup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:43 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm thinking that it doesn't matter to most people how the permit is labeled. They just care that they can carry.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've definitely had to spend a little time re-instructing (not in a class, just when they ask a question or think I'm doing something illegal) friends who were taught at Bill's... much like I had to be re-instructed actually, having taken my first class from Bill's. Most of my re-instruction was through personal research, initially, and lots of "oh, that's not what the law says" moments. I was impressed with their instruction at the time. In hindsight, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 am 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
I'm thinking that it doesn't matter to most people how the permit is labeled. They just care that they can carry.

I think so. The problem is that the incorrect nomenclature encourages some folks -- particularly some badged folks (present company obviously not included) -- to think that we have "conceal and carry" permits in Minnesota, and that somebody not concealing is committing some sort of crime.

I'm not a big fan of the decision that Darth Lillehaug got out of the appeals court back in 2005, but this section is spot on (note: the decision is now moo):
Quote:
To ensure that all readers of this opinion, legal and lay persons, have a common language, we have a commentary. The PPA has been widely known, debated, and discussed, under a nickname—the “conceal and carry” bill. Somehow, the nickname “conceal and carry” got on the bill and stuck like a porcupine’s quills in the nose of an overaggressive hunting dog. To set the record straight, both sides agree there is not now, nor has there ever been, any “conceal” in the laws surrounding the regulation and application for a permit to carry a handgun on one’s person. “Conceal” has never been a part of the PPA. The PPA allows you, if you have the permit, to carry the handgun openly or to have it beneath some article of clothing where it does not show. If you do not get the permit, it does not matter whether you wish to carry the handgun outside or inside your clothing. You cannot do it without being criminally liable. 2003 Minn. Laws ch. 28, art. 2, § 4. The same thing is true of the former handgun permit law, which the PPA supplanted. Under the prior law, in effect since the start of Minnesota’s handgun permitting laws (1975 Minn. Laws ch. 378 § 4, codified at Minn. Stat. § 624.714 (1976)), if you had a permit to carry a handgun, it did not matter whether you displayed it openly or concealed it. If you did not have a permit under the prior law to carry a handgun, it would also not matter whether you displayed it openly or concealed it. You could not. Thus, a more accurate short-term handle for the PPA at issue would be the “handgun carry” bill, nothing more.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.