Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Continuing Education 
 Post subject: Re: Continuing Education
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Nice job Moby!

It is always good to teach someone else.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:04 pm 

Saunassa wrote:
it is amazing how many folks think it is a conceal and carry law versus just a permit to carry. it bugs me to no end when those who have received a permit refer to it as a conceal and carry. I often wonder if that is what it was referred to in the class they took.
I went to my class in pierz back in 2003 and took my refresher last fall from two guys (you probably know them) and they made sure we all new it was a permit to carry.

I have NEVER had an individual call or email and request a carry permit class. Or even a permit to carry course. Not once since 2003.

It's ALWAYS been a concealed carry class. Always.

And the consumer, aka, the guy paying the freight, will continue to call it such no matter how often I, or other instructors mention that the statute doesn't require concealment. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 pm 

A friend of a friend told me:

"I gotta take my Conceal Carry permit training, what do I do exactly?"

I say:

"Permit to Carry. Do A) B) C)"

His response: "Nah, man, I want the Conceal Carry permit, not that one"

I tried explaining it is the same thing, but he really likes to call it what it is not...

By the end of the conversation he "had a confused" (LOLCAT Style Face)

He'll learn.

Conceal Carry just sounds more Ninja-Stealth versus Permit to Carry. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:12 pm 
The Man

Tell him he should get the regular permit to carry, and have his Mommy Write "Good for Concealed Carry Only" on a Post-It, and attach it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:16 pm 

I suppose. Or, he could just ask the HCSO to issue him an ACTUAL "Conceal Carry Permit" - The guy would literally ask them to do it, I bet. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

boomingmetropolis wrote:
Saunassa wrote:
it is amazing how many folks think it is a conceal and carry law versus just a permit to carry. it bugs me to no end when those who have received a permit refer to it as a conceal and carry. I often wonder if that is what it was referred to in the class they took.
I went to my class in pierz back in 2003 and took my refresher last fall from two guys (you probably know them) and they made sure we all new it was a permit to carry.

I have NEVER had an individual call or email and request a carry permit class. Or even a permit to carry course. Not once since 2003.

It's ALWAYS been a concealed carry class. Always.

And the consumer, aka, the guy paying the freight, will continue to call it such no matter how often I, or other instructors mention that the statute doesn't require concealment. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

Saunassa is pointing out how many people call it that after the class, not before. Big difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Concealed" Carry Permit sounds more bad or special, so people like it. Sort of like being a "secret" agent, instead of just having a job. :wink:

And the carry classes do teach how to conceal, which is a new concept to most gunnies, who learn the DNR stuff and nothing else. (At least I think carry classes teach concealment, lately i'm not sure of anything, maybe it is bowling ball theory or some such. :roll: Depends on the organization that certified the instructor, I suppose.) :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Concealing the bowling ball is part of the advanced course. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:28 am 

I know our courses (Often taught at Bills) we all place emphasis on the correct terms and I even show people my PERMIT TO CARRY. No question then about the "conceal" part. people will still use incorrect terms because of habit and/or others around them using the term. How many people still call the magazine a CLIP? talked to one of my permit students the other day and he used that term :roll: !

I try to give people, like the security guy, a benefit of the doubt and then ask if they know about open carry.

Yes, we have corrected students of other trainers. Sometimes it might also be that the student "dozed off" for certain parts of their old class. Also, people just plain forget stuff they learned after a while. We all need to keep re-reading/practicing ourselves.

Fox Defensive Training & Pistol Craft Inc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I have gone so far as showing students my MN Permit to Carry a Pistol and my Florida Concealed Weapon License and how FL uses the word “Concealed” on it while MN does not. I can’t say that the distinction always sinks in or is remembered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm 

Moby Clarke wrote:
It was..............................................................................................................(big drum roll) Bill's.

Even if it was an independent instructor, hopefully they got the book that Bill's uses (I got one and took mine at Cabella's in Rogers), which nicely spells out the law.
Saunassa wrote:

I knew before I got my permit that it is a PTC, but still sometimes call it a CCP - I go back and forth. My reasoning is two-fold: I consider the audience, and I have more than one permit - the other (Utah) does say "concealed" on it.

Here's a question for the thread: I was told that the MN permit allows carry of long guns too. Is that true? It has been a harder question to get resolved than the other things I was told in my class. The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance. As he put it, if disaster strikes, people would have the right to patrol their neighborhoods to deter crime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:50 pm 

Onesimus wrote:
Here's a question for the thread: I was told that the MN permit allows carry of long guns too. Is that true? It has been a harder question to get resolved than the other things I was told in my class. The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance. As he put it, if disaster strikes, people would have the right to patrol their neighborhoods to deter crime.

I'm sure other folks with better knowledge can answer about long gun carry with your MN permit. I think the answer is "it is allowable", typically followed by "would you like to be the test case?".

As for your last sentence, that is entirely different. Just because you have a permit to carry a weapon for your own protection does not translate into "patrol your neighborhood to deter crime". Ability to carry a weapon, long gun or not, does not make a permit holder into a law enforcement officer. That being said, if the SHTF and we actually need to patrol our neighborhoods for protection I'm guessing that means we've moved into a gray area where carry permits and law enforcement officers are meaningless theoretical things at that point. And at that point I'll be patrolling with both a long gun and a handgun. Or two.

BB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 pm 

Agreed. He just made that point in comparison to New Orleans after Katrina. Of course he missed the obvious, that had people been patrolling their neighborhoods after Katrina, they would have been targeted by NO cops trying to take everyone's guns away.

As far as I understand the law, you can patrol your own property all you want, no permit necessary. Just curious as to whether the long gun carry provision was true or not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
The Man

BigBlue wrote:
Onesimus wrote:

I'm sure other folks with better knowledge can answer about long gun carry with your MN permit. I think the answer is "it is allowable", typically followed by "would you like to be the test case?".
I'll give a different answer: according to 624.7181, it's not legally possible for a permit holder to carry a long gun in public, and therefore it can't be a crime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:48 pm 

joelr wrote:
I'll give a different answer: according to 624.7181, it's not legally possible for a permit holder to carry a long gun in public, and therefore it can't be a crime.

Huh?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.