Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently. 
 Post subject: My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 am 

I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong area. Moderators, please move this if it’s in the wrong spot.
A student at the University of Minnesota, a friend of mine, was the victim of yet another random beating on campus last night. The incident occurred in Dinkytown and from what I’ve heard, the perpetrators attacked quite a few people in addition to my friend throughout the course of the evening.

Whenever the weather is not too cold, Dinkytown is pretty busy at night and the streets are crowded. Thankfully, the area is pretty well-lit too. So when I passed a large group of black guys loitering outside on the sidewalk on my way to the ATM, I just figured they were more young people out having fun like everybody else. I was wrong.

As I heard from my friend following his attempt to file a police report, there were dozens of black people wandering the streets last night beating up random individuals. Now I’m not a racist or anything. I have friends of all races. I don’t care about the color of your skin. It does not determine who you are. However, it would be foolish not to take note of the disproportionately high rate of violent crime committed in Minneapolis by blacks. With very few exceptions over a period of several years, the crime reports I’ve seen regarding beatings and armed robberies on campus have all involved black perpetrators. This is not a racial thing, but it does indicate some kind of serious social and cultural problems, I think.

Anyway, my buddy was walking through Dinkytown with good lighting and lots of people all around. It was past midnight, but that’s a pretty active time for the area on a Saturday night. Students are everywhere then. He was carrying a case of pop back to his dorm when he noticed a large group of black guys chasing someone wearing a white hoodie down the street. He figured it was just a bunch of drunks goofing off, but then out of nowhere some guy punched him in the head, causing my friend to lose his balance. He was startled at first because he had no idea who these people were. There had been no provocation of any kind. Another person came up from the side and tried to knee him in the ribs, but missed and cracked open his case of pop, which went flying in all directions. Then people picked up the full cans of pop and began to pitch them at my friend from close distances. It turned out that a good portion of the people who had been chasing the guy in the white hoodie turned on my friend, supposedly near twenty or more of them. There were enough to clog the road and prevent traffic flow (cars were honking at them to get out of the way). They proceeded to beat him pretty badly in the head and elsewhere, smashing his glasses, breaking one of his molars, and damaging his jaw badly enough that he said it doesn’t seem to close properly anymore.

From what I’m told, there were plenty of people around and one bystander even yelled at him to run away, but of course, that was impossible after being beaten so badly. And my friend said he didn’t want to fight back because he was afraid of them calling over even more of the bad guys from across the street to assist in the beating. Eventually, for some reason, they stopped beating him and moved on to their next target. I hope to learn more tomorrow about the other details, including why they might have stopped punching and kicking. The perpetrators did not even try to steal his wallet and they did not demand any valuables, from what I know. They were just randomly kicking the snot out of people in the area.

I do know that he talked to the police following the incident and asked if he could file a report. The officer told him that it would do no good and was not worth spending the time. Since it was a college campus, there were lots of young people around, so the cops said they couldn’t track the suspects. The bad guys would blend in (don’t want any racial profiling here) and were too difficult to catch, supposedly, so it sounded like the cops were not even going to try. So my friend gave up and did not file a report. Of course, when I see my friend tomorrow, I will insist that he file some kind of police report, if for no other reason, just as a matter of principle. I don’t care how lazy the police are. The report ought to be filed. The police also told my friend that similar assaults had already occurred at least six other times previous to his attack that evening. Still, nobody had been taken into custody. The bad guys continue to roam freely through Minneapolis.

I am convinced that if a victim resists with anything less than the threat of deadly force, he is probably creating a more dangerous situation for himself, especially when he is greatly outnumbered (I’m assuming a scenario where conflict cannot be avoided in the first place.). However, if he does not resist, he can get killed very easily. Just one well-placed punch or kick can kill a person. I thank God my buddy didn’t die as a result of this attack, but he could have.

So what is a guy to do about this? Students are told constantly by the administration to cooperate with assailants by giving them money and valuables because doing so is supposed to make them go away and prevent violence. Well, in this case, and in many other instances, the bad guys are just out to hurt others. They don’t care about money.

If a permit-carrying student is caught with a firearm on campus, he will be expelled, most likely. The school does its best to create the easiest targets possible for criminals and after the bad guys strike, the cops are worse than useless. These roaming gangs seem to be untouchable. Even the police have surrendered!

I’m just glad I’m not a student anymore. God forbid I ever even have to brandish a weapon, but I'd rather do that than get killed.

Post subject: Re: My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Safety in numbers with lots of OC spray.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Savagesweat wrote:
So what is a guy to do about this? Students are told constantly by the administration to cooperate with assailants by giving them money and valuables because doing so is supposed to make them go away and prevent violence. Well, in this case, and in many other instances, the bad guys are just out to hurt others. They don’t care about money.

If a permit-carrying student is caught with a firearm on campus, he will be expelled, most likely. The school does its best to create the easiest targets possible for criminals and after the bad guys strike, the cops are worse than useless. These roaming gangs seem to be untouchable. Even the police have surrendered!

I think it's going to take a student or two suing the school when they get the crap kicked out of them for forcing them to be sitting ducks.

Utah has allowed carry on campus for a long time. There have been no school shootings in the state EVER.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 am 

Did he deal with the University Police or with Minneapolis PD?

b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 am 

I think an obvious point noted is that he apparently walked right by the gang (allowing for the crime of opportunity) instead of stearing clear. They didn't know him or care, but he was within punching range. That's way to close.

OC, may or may not have been a good thing there. He was already hit, never saw it comming, unprepared. A large group would require a LARGE OC, Bear style, but may make it worse because he would have been getting the effects himself and the others friends could still pound him. Enough people can fight through it, especially if they're pissed off. Apparently he has no defensive training of any kind? Maybe he did the right thing (for him) in trying to cover up and hope they wouldn't keep beating him. What else would an untrained person do?

He may have avoided this if he had taken any armed or unarmed self defense training and been more on guard to avoid being near them.

Anyone with a carry permit also needs to learn some street wise unarmed skills. Can't always count on the gun and may need to fight to get to it.

Millions of "what ifs" and possible "could have..." scenarios.

Fox Defensive Training & Pistol Craft Inc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Brent is making some very good points.

There's a very serious lesson in the midst of all this on situational awareness.

In terms of defense, OC might help. Might. Then again, if you spray bad guy #1, you may just encourage bad guys #2-20 to beat you harder.

Unfortunately, a similar situation exists with a firearm, but it's one thing to say "no" with a can of seasoning. It's something else to say it at 130dB. But again, by the time you've got a mob on you, you're in a HUGE amount of trouble with or without a gun.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 am 

Last week there were assaults on the Macalester campus at Snelling and grand...no robbery just violence. Punching by 14-17 yr old males on bikes...no race description given anywhere...clearly the work of Asian kids taking a break between Math homework and Choir practice. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just kidding...I'm just overjoyed everytime I hear about the Star Tribune Bankruptcy...could they just be honest about the race of perps ????

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 am 
Journeyman Member

12smile wrote:
Last week there were assaults on the Macalester campus at Snelling and grand...no robbery just violence. Punching by 14-17 yr old males on bikes...no race description given anywhere...clearly the work of Asian kids taking a break between Math homework and Choir practice. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just kidding...I'm just overjoyed everytime I hear about the Star Tribune Bankruptcy...could they just be honest about the race of perps ????

They could be a little bit more PC in their "news" by saying a 'Human' was attacked/assaulted/robbed/murdered/raped by "another misguided member of our Glorious Society."

So be on the lookout when you are in the area, could be any one of those people you come into contact with if doing business in the general vicinity of the crime.

Star Tribune:

The perpetrator has skin and eyes, any information can be relayed to the clear glass Anonymous Citizens Reporting Booth at each street corner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Dinkytown isn't "on campus". It's adjacent to it. The U of M would have no basis for expelling a student carrying off campus.

If the student lives in the residence halls, well, that's too bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 am 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
Dinkytown isn't "on campus". It's adjacent to it. The U of M would have no basis for expelling a student carrying off campus.

If the student lives in the residence halls, well, that's too bad.

Even if they live off campus, however, they have to get to and from class- and carrying there would be grounds for expulsion under the current misguided BS that passes for official policy...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

But they won't have classes at midnight on the weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:37 am 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
But they won't have classes at midnight on the weekend.

True, and if that was the only time assaults and robberies occurred in Dinkytown, we'd be on to something. Unfortunately, they've occurred at all times of the day, and on weekdays.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am 

Violence here in Mankato seems to be getting worse as well. The description of the attacker/s seem to be the same too. They usually get people who are heading home from the bar, and just kick the crap out of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

In years past, you saw this kind of crap as part of gang initiations; kick the crap out of a random guy to prove your allegiance to the gang or some such BS. I think it's been quickly transitioning to more of a random "just-for-kicks", which speaks volumes as to how fast our society is headed down the social toilet.

I don't consider profiling on the street to necessarily be racist (and profiling doesn't always mean skin color). Let's face it, if I have to choose between passing a group of young men in business suits on one side of the street and passing a group of young men dressed all in red on the other side of the street, I'll take the suits. Either one may steal my money these days, but at least the ones in suits will do it via computer and not beat me senseless.

That said, ANYBODY acting suspiciously gets my attention, regardless of race. Two white guys start following me as I walk to my car, I'm going to treat them the same way I'd treat two black guys following me on the way to my car.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Another reason not to drink.

peter94 wrote:
Violence here in Mankato seems to be getting worse as well. The description of the attacker/s seem to be the same too. They usually get people who are heading home from the bar, and just kick the crap out of them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.