Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:22 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently. 
 Post subject: Re: My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 pm 

ree wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
...We're utterly PISSED at the cops for strongly discouraging making a record of the crime.

Yep. Because the only reasons for doing that are to:
(a) avoid having to more work, and/or
(b) avoid negatively affecting next year's enrollment numbers or driving away potential employees

If they're going to deny their students and staff access to valuable tools for defending themselves, they better be working pretty damn hard to help protect those students and staff. And as long as it's perfectly legal to be out and about enjoying one's self at midnight on a Saturday night on campus or just off of campus, it's not unreasonable to expect the police to help ensure that everybody is playing by the rules.

Plus if they're not going to do their job to protect that part of town, those of us no longer in school won't be returning to that part of town, much to the dismay of local business owners.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 pm 

Savagesweat wrote:
I do know that he talked to the police following the incident and asked if he could file a report. The officer told him that it would do no good and was not worth spending the time. Since it was a college campus, there were lots of young people around, so the cops said they couldn’t track the suspects. The bad guys would blend in (don’t want any racial profiling here) and were too difficult to catch, supposedly, so it sounded like the cops were not even going to try. So my friend gave up and did not file a report. Of course, when I see my friend tomorrow, I will insist that he file some kind of police report, if for no other reason, just as a matter of principle. I don’t care how lazy the police are. The report ought to be filed. The police also told my friend that similar assaults had already occurred at least six other times previous to his attack that evening. Still, nobody had been taken into custody. The bad guys continue to roam freely through Minneapolis.

Silly you... Making a MPD officer take the time to file a report for a real crime will get in the way of his time extorting money from naughty motorists.

When I was 21 years old (roughly 1991) I had a similar incident happen to me and an identical response from the responding officer. It turned me from a left leaning musican into a far right leaning pistol competition 2A fanatic. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
OK. I don't say much here, I mostly troll. I learn quite a bit from this site just by sitting back and "listening" to others, but this thread is starting to tick me off.

I wonder if you mean "lurk" (read without posting) instead of "troll" (deliberately post provocatively to elicit a reaction). If it's the frst, that's cool. If it's the second, you'll find your stay here to be short.

I think she meant "troll" in the fishing sense, not the forum sense, so that would equal "lurk"

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Last edited by chunkstyle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:57 am 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
I do know that he talked to the police following the incident and asked if he could file a report. The officer told him that it would do no good and was not worth spending the time.

Do you think if the victim fought back and fired a gun, then maybe they would take a report?

outrageous :x

Quote:
If they're going to deny their students and staff access to valuable tools for defending themselves, they better be working pretty damn hard to help protect those students and staff.

I look at denying guns the same as putting someone in handcuffs.
If you have someone in handcuffs, I am guessing you are responsible for the safety of that person (making sure they don't fall down etc). If you ban guns, you should hire a tonne of armed guards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 pm 

Nickel pkg wrote:
Quote:
I do know that he talked to the police following the incident and asked if he could file a report. The officer told him that it would do no good and was not worth spending the time.

Do you think if the victim fought back and fired a gun, then maybe they would take a report?

outrageous :x

No, they would take his gun. (It's MPD, they'd probably use it in a later crime as plantable evidence)

Nickel pkg wrote:
Quote:
If they're going to deny their students and staff access to valuable tools for defending themselves, they better be working pretty damn hard to help protect those students and staff.

I look at denying guns the same as putting someone in handcuffs.
If you have someone in handcuffs, I am guessing you are responsible for the safety of that person (making sure they don't fall down etc). If you ban guns, you should hire a tonne of armed guards.

THIS is what we should be pushing for. By putting up those signs, YOU are 120% responsible for the safety of all those behind the sign, and failure to provide for such (such as expecting the police to handle it, by doing nothing) makes you criminally liable for what happens to them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 pm 

Yeah the problem with that theory is the courts have ruled on this issue. If the police can't be held accountable who can?

Quote:
Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is a U.S. Court of Appeals case in which three rape victims sued the District of Columbia because of negligence on the part of the police. Two of three female roommates were upstairs when they heard men break in and attack the third. After repeated calls to the police over half an hour, the roommate's screams stopped, and they assumed the police had arrived. They went downstairs and were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, and forced to commit sexual acts upon one another and to submit to the attackers' sexual demands for 14 hours. The police had lost track of the repeated calls for assistance. DC's highest court ruled that the police do not have a legal responsibility to provide personal protection to individuals, and absolved the police and the city of any liability.[

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:14 am 

Even the Star/Trib should be interested in this. It's not a gun related incident, but the fact that the UM PD discourages reports makes it an interesting cover up type story involving public safety perceptions.
Besides, they could....DO IT FOR OUR CHILDREN!!!

Fox Defensive Training & Pistol Craft Inc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 am 

brent fox wrote:
Besides, they could....DO IT FOR OUR CHILDREN!!!

I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:08 pm 

Quote:
OK. I don't say much here, I mostly troll. I learn quite a bit from this site just by sitting back and "listening" to others, but this thread is starting to tick me off. :bang:

What I want to know is, if this part of town is so bad, why is everyone out at this time of night? Yup, I was once a young, naive college student too. I understand how this age group wants to have fun, so did I. I still do. But I knew the bad parts of town and campus, but I stayed away! Why must we continue to put ourselves in these situations? Why couldn't this young man have bought his soda earlier in the day, during light hours? Why does this young person have to ride his bike like he does? No lights? Are you not putting yourself in more danger? Why do young men have to always go pee down by the river after leaving the bars?

Are there no more house parties you can go to? At least you can crash there and not have to worry about walking home and being beaten, kidnapped or drown! Drink in your dorms! Yes, I understand that the UoM campus is dry, but my daughter went there, and she had lots of fun in her room, as well as others kids' rooms. There were also lots of house parties that she became familiar with.

Instead of being ticked off that the Strib didn't report anything, why isn't every one ticked that kids are being more irresponsible than we were, and that's saying a lot!

It was wrong of the police to give out bad information on not filing a police report. And, I'm so very sorry that your friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It sounds as if he was really thinking on the best way to survive his attach. I wish him a very speedy recovery.

nd

Wow when did it become a crime to walk freely in this country even in the bad nieghborhoods people still have the right to be outdoors. It is never the victims fault. Could they have done more to prevent it maybe maybe not,but nevr their fault that someelse attacks you while doing absolutely nothing illegal.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm 

r22 wrote:
ndtish, with all due respect, are you blaming the victim ?
Must we fear going out in public ? Have we given the night to the bad guys ?

Oh my gosh, no, I am in no way blaming the victim!! Maybe this is why I sit back and just "lurk" because most times when I open my mouth, I stick my foot in it.

Twenty years ago, I made mistakes, and that got me beat up and raped. I had put myself into that situation, and I vowed not to be a victim again. I don't go out at dark, and if I do, it is with at least one other person. I always leave early, so as not to be with a big group of people. I change my work schedule in the fall, so I'm not leaving my house in the dark, etc...

Did I give in to the bad guys, hell no! Am I armed, yes, but that is my last defense. My first defense is not to put myself in the bad situation in the first place. This was my point in my post. I've got a great, free life, but I've changed how I live it.

I'm sorry if I made any indication of blaming the vicitim.

nd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

"I've got a great, free life, but I've changed how I live it."
OK, but it sounds like others are changing how you live it to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:47 am 

ndtish,
I'm sure very few of us understand how those events have changed your life.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

IT'S NOT 'blaming the victim" to tell somebody they may meet trouble in a bad neighborhood. It's common sense to avoid trouble. It's also common sense to carry protection. You do both. It's too bad I can't walk everwhere safely, it's too bad we even need protection.

But the world is still dangerous, and a lot more dangerous if ou don't use common sense.

And nobody should have to appologize for advising someone to use common sense. Especially someone with relevant experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

The relevant experience puts a different spin on the situation, no doubt.

Still, this wasn't a bad part of town, and is WAS where the victim lived.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am 

Maybe we should create a mob of good guys, who walk around beating the snot out of the mobs of bad guys. We already know the cops wont waste their time trying to catch us, and it will make the world a safer place for all!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.