Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 "Campuses are one of the safest places in the world".... 
 Post subject: Re: "Campuses are one of the safest places in the world"....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 pm 

AGoodDay wrote:
They don't define all weapons. They broadly ban the "possession of any weapon." They further clarify the firearms issue in order to demonstrate compliance with the Permit to Carry law and MNSCU 5.21. The term "any weapon" is likely to be broadly interpreted, and school judicial councils are likely to follow that broad interpretation. You might want to chat with your Student Government about that policy. On its face the policy forbids even pepper spray. Some school higher ups have been known to take the position based on policy and selective application of a rule that women can carry pepper spray because they have a need for it, but men can't.

One day in class, one of my professors was trying to plug his laptop into the overhead projector VGA connector. Some dufus that tried before must've bent one of the pins and it needed to be straightened to be used. Of course, the professor had nothing that would bend the pin back so he asked the class if one of us had something that would work. Noone said anything...so I sheepishly handed him my benchmade folder (olive drab with a black blade), the look on his face...I thought he crapped his pants. "...Can you have that on campus?" I replied with the usual, "I dunno, it's just a tool" and he relaxed a bit.

I emailed campus security about knives on campus, but they never responded. I had carried it every day on campus and noone had said anything about it until then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:33 pm 

rudy wrote:
AGoodDay wrote:
They don't define all weapons. They broadly ban the "possession of any weapon." They further clarify the firearms issue in order to demonstrate compliance with the Permit to Carry law and MNSCU 5.21. The term "any weapon" is likely to be broadly interpreted, and school judicial councils are likely to follow that broad interpretation. You might want to chat with your Student Government about that policy. On its face the policy forbids even pepper spray. Some school higher ups have been known to take the position based on policy and selective application of a rule that women can carry pepper spray because they have a need for it, but men can't.

One day in class, one of my professors was trying to plug his laptop into the overhead projector VGA connector. Some dufus that tried before must've bent one of the pins and it needed to be straightened to be used. Of course, the professor had nothing that would bend the pin back so he asked the class if one of us had something that would work. Noone said anything...so I sheepishly handed him my benchmade folder (olive drab with a black blade), the look on his face...I thought he crapped his pants. "...Can you have that on campus?" I replied with the usual, "I dunno, it's just a tool" and he relaxed a bit.

I emailed campus security about knives on campus, but they never responded. I had carried it every day on campus and noone had said anything about it until then.

The hammer on my 1911 is pretty sharp (pulls out gun...)

How many years of school do you have left Rudy? What is your major?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 pm 

Heh, even in IT a knife is VERY handy. Opening nasty packages for various things, fishing out screws that fell into the case, prying loose a laptop panel to replace a dead hard drive...

It IS a tool. We need an even, state-level law to support this, and standardize what "is legal."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm 

peter94 wrote:

I graduate this spring. I'm majoring in chemistry and minoring in math. I was really hoping to get out of school and into the real world, but grad school is looking better and better every day.

How many years do you have left? And what major?

I wish something would pass removing public college's ability to write administrative policy to restrict lawful employee and student carry on campus, but it's a little late now since I'm just about done. I write my representatives but get no responses. It tends to piss me off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:42 pm 

rudy wrote:
peter94 wrote:

I graduate this spring. I'm majoring in chemistry and minoring in math. I was really hoping to get out of school and into the real world, but grad school is looking better and better every day.

How many years do you have left? And what major?

I wish something would pass removing public college's ability to write administrative policy to restrict lawful employee and student carry on campus, but it's a little late now since I'm just about done. I write my representatives but get no responses. It tends to piss me off.

I'm going for automotive engineering technology. I have 3 semesters left ( I hope). The AMET department just revised all of the pre-requisits for alot of the classes, and changed some classes, and I got caught in the middle of it. If they dont bend any rules for me I will have 5 semesters left. One professor that I like (also permit to carry holder) said i should be grandfathered in, however others I talk to dont make it sound too promising.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

I talked to the U of M police and was told that they follow the Minneapolis city laws on knifes, which means it has to be no longer than 4".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

singhcr wrote:
I talked to the U of M police and was told that they follow the Minneapolis city laws on knifes, which means it has to be no longer than 4".

Heh. Then permit holders are in great shape. ;-)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.