Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Clarification of MN Carry Law 
 Post subject: Clarification of MN Carry Law
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:04 pm 

I personally know a Peace Officer who is a friend of mine.
He says:
A) You cannot be under the influence of any controlled substance including alcohol, prescription medication, caffiene (large amount?), or Tylenol or you will be charged.

B) Zero tolerance for alcohol

C) If found carrying under the influence of a controlled substance is a felony and you can lose your right to own a firearm.

I dug into the internet and found that the MN BAC limit for carry permit holders was .10 before they changed the law and now is .04 as you cannot carry with a BAC higher than .04, if above you are guilty of a misdemeanor otherwise if you are caught twice it is elevated to a gross misdemeanor.

Can you really be arrested while carrying if under the influence of Tylenol? Caffiene? If so what amount of caffiene in your body would get you charged?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clarification of MN Carry Law
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow, your friend is sorely mistaken. A controlled substance is one thing, but he can not possibly believe caffine and aspirin are assestable offenses. He needs remedial training and quickly. :bang:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm 

another well informed officer :x :bang:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I wonder who he works for. According to the sheriffs in another thread, they get recurrent training on laws. If your friend isnt aware of the carry laws, I am betting the whole department isnt clear on them either (due to lack of training). It might be worth it to have a reputable firearms instructor or knowledgeable leo contact their department.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:00 pm 

Your friend is *sorely* mistaken on MN Carry Laws.

I suggest he at least re-read the statutes - they are quite clear.
b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:53 am 

I suspect there is an Instructor at the Hibbing Community College spreading misinformation regarding carrying and the subject of legally registered FA firearms, like my friend claimed there were law enforcement officers killed in NY with legally registered FA firearms. I cannot find ANYTHING on the internet backing this up. So obviously there is a Instructor at Hibbing that is anti-2nd and anti-carry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Interesting...

Mikew13, if you'd like to privately share what department your friend is in (I don't need his name), please feel free to PM me. Someone will politely reach out and offer them a refresher training...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am 

This person needs to be corrected on these issues and soon. I can just see this person arresting someone for having a glass of wine with dinner. As for the Tylenol and caffeine, wow I don't even know where you'd get that one. Or, how you'd go about detecting that one. "Excuse me sir, did you have a headache recently that went away? Did you take anything for this headache?" :bang:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

You have to wonder if he is so far off on this one what other laws is he mistaken about? I’d hate to have this guy involved in something serious that requires a knowledge of the law on a life and death issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome aboard MIKEW13 !!!!!!!
Hope you have a long stay with us. :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 pm 

I researched:

Basic page with links
http://www.liberty-lawyer.com/gunsandfi ... mitmn.html

Definitions of Controlled Drugs in Laymans Terms

Schedule I — drugs with a high abuse risk. These drugs have NO safe, accepted medical use in the United States. Some examples are heroin, marijuana, LSD, PCP, and crack cocaine.
Schedule II — drugs with a high abuse risk, but also have safe and accepted medical uses in the United States. These drugs can cause severe psychological or physical dependence. Schedule II drugs include certain narcotic, stimulant, and depressant drugs. Some examples are morphine, cocaine, oxycodone (Percodan®), methylphenidate (Ritalin®), and dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine®).
Schedule III, IV, or V — drugs with an abuse risk less than Schedule II. These drugs also have safe and accepted medical uses in the United States. Schedule III, IV, or V drugs include those containing smaller amounts of certain narcotic and non-narcotic drugs, anti-anxiety drugs, tranquilizers, sedatives, stimulants, and non-narcotic analgesics. Some examples are acetaminophen with codeine (Tylenol® No.3), paregoric, hydrocodone with acetaminophen (Vicodin®), diazepam (Valium®), alprazolam (Xanax®), propoxyphene (Darvon®), and pentazocine (Talwin®).

Basically just stay away from Tylenol with Codeine and don't carry when on Vicodin or pain medication

http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/consumer/broch2.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

I researched:

Basically just stay away from Tylenol with Codeine and don't carry when on Vicodin or pain medication

---

Do more research.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:31 am 

Uh, I think you guys missed a certain concept.

It is NOT strictly a .04 limit = .03 you are legally OK
IF YOU ARE IMPAIRED you are in violation.

If you take Nyquil and are sleepy behind the wheel, (and carrying) you are in violation of your carry permit.

Fox Defensive Training & Pistol Craft Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:44 am 
Forum Moderator

brent fox wrote:
Uh, I think you guys missed a certain concept.

I missed nothing. My advice to the original poster stands. He needs to do more research. You, on the other hand, do not.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.