Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 EMS Protocals 
 Post subject: EMS Protocals
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:53 am 
Longtime Regular

I have often wondered about the standards for relieving a permit holder of their weapon. Here's what I'm talking about.

Let say a permit holder is carrying and is involved in an accident. If that person is unconcious (sp) then relieving them of there weapon might not seem like an issue however, alot of the EMS personell that I know don't have the faintest idea how to "safe" a semi-auto. And I'm sure most hospitols will not admit a patient with a handgun in their possesion. Keep in mind, in rural areas law enforcement isn't always on scene before a patient is transported.

The other issue is head injuries. Do you think someone with a head injury should be carrying a loaded firearm? (walking wounded)

I carry everywhere, everyday. But I,m also involved with EMS. I have yet to hear these issues addressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I remember when Bruce Kraft post (in a Yahoo group) about his visit to HCMC’s emergency room while he was carrying. I am really surprised that the security guard trying to unload Bruce’s weapon didn’t give him a heart attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:42 pm 
1911 tainted

I had an EMT go through a class of mine for that specific reason. She was originally from Chicago and new nothing about guns, and I mean nothing. So she went through a NRA First Step class of mine to learn how to handle a firearm and how to make it not go bang. :shock:

When I took her to the range with both a semi auto and a revolver, we had 100 rounds of ammo, but she only fired I think 5 rounds. She spent almost all of the range time picking up the guns, handling them, and towards the end, unloading them. That is all she wanted to learn, muzzle control, finger off trigger, and how to handle a gun if she had to disarm someone that was physically unable to do it themselves. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good on her!

This gives me a good idea -- offer Basic Pistol to EMS departments at a bargain price.

Good PR for the cause, and I bet it gets me some carry students, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:03 pm 
Journeyman Member

Add Fire Depts, First Responders and ER Techs to your list as they're often first at the scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:43 pm 

I asked a tech at Fairview Southdale what their policy with armed patients was, and was told they call security to have them place the gun in a lockbox. She also told me very authoritatively that guns are not allowed in hospitals. When I told her it wasn't true, and that I perhaps knew a little more about the law because I actually have a carry permit, she got a tad frosty :?

I also asked a couple of the instructors about carrying, because they have to go into some dangerous areas. They said their ambulance companies had a policy against it. Well, the VERY first thing you are supposed to do on every call is establish that the scene is safe, i.e. that the cops are already there. You don't even get out of your ambulance if the scene isn't secured. OTOH, I recall a news item from not too long ago about a paramedic who was shot at a supposedly safe scene by a BG who was still there, hiding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

chinakay wrote:
I asked a tech at Fairview Southdale what their policy with armed patients was, and was told they call security to have them place the gun in a lockbox. She also told me very authoritatively that guns are not allowed in hospitals. When I told her it wasn't true, and that I perhaps knew a little more about the law because I actually have a carry permit, she got a tad frosty :?

This is the sign at Fairview Southdale. Quite refreshing.

http://tinyurl.com/9g94w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Matt,

That is why I carry into hospitals, to insure that no one commits an act of violence against myself or my family. So as I read that sign, they want people to carry. :twisted:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's how I read it, too. :)

But seriously, how great is it that they cast safety as a personal as well as a community responsibility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:03 am 

We have a lock box in the ER in which the firearm of any unconscious patient would be stored.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My wife is an ER nurse
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:33 pm 

My wife is an ER nurse and we have discussed this subject at length.She is at a SWsuburban hospital and security is not great.[meaning they have unarmed, untrained low paid, security staff]They have a policy to call security , disarm the patient, and put in the lockbox.My instructions to her, however,are to do it herself leaving it holstered if possible[ie remove,cut ,whatever the entire gun/holster]and control the muzzle while putting gun in the lockbox.If this is not possible she is to get the hell behind cover while some untrained yahoo endangers everyone in the room.

Post subject: Carry in Cook County
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:29 pm 

I used to live in Grand Marais, and sadly had to move for employment down the the Twin Cities. I was a member of the Cook County Ambulance and on the S&R. I had a permit to carry before the new law passed. (I think my permit number was 16 under old law).

After the new law passed I had a few meetings with the hospital adminastrator over carry issues. She had wanted to post the building for no carry. I kindly suggested that she speak with the hospitals board and lawyers before she did anything. I asked what would happen if someone with a permit to carry was wanting help for a heart attack, and on seeing the sign was to walk back to his car to secure his weapon and pass out/die. Who would be at fault.

I also mentioned that if the hospital was to ban carry from visitors, that they should then supply gun lockers.

I strongly suggested that the hospital provide training for its Dr's and nurses on how to handle and make safe different handguns. I told her that besides myself, I knew of many people in the area that would provide the training at no cost. - To my knowledge that has not yet happened.

Personaly I did not carry when I was on call for ambulance service. When I was not on call I would always carry. I visited my wife at work in the Hospital/Care Center many times armed. A few of those times I openly carried. Funny thing was only two people in the whole building seemed to notice. My wife and my good friend who works there also - and carries when not at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

labt67,

When did you leave Cook County?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:58 pm 

We moved out of Cook County the Spring/Summer of 2005. Now live about 45 north of the Twin Cities just off of highway 35.

(Currently enjoying the weather in sunny warm Texas, provided by the U.S. Air Force). Sadly I do not carry here in TX, living on a military installation and all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.