Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 State Park Carry? 
 Post subject: State Park Carry?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:57 am 

I will be camping at a minnesota state park this weekend and I want to make sure that I can carry there??? I believe the answer is yes and I did a quick check in your book, Joel, and didn't find anything. But I figured I'd shoot one out here about it since I'm about 99% sure the group I will be camping with is a bunch of antis.

thanks much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:10 am 
Forum Moderator

What's the status of recreational shooting in National Forests? It'd be nice if it was as open as shooting on BLM land, but I suspect it isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

I live in the Superior National Forest and you can shoot anywhere you want, except across roads, close to stuctures, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can carry in a National Forest!
You can't in a National Park!
The MN DNR says you can't in a State Park! Check the DNR website.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry everyday in a National Forest. I live and work in the Superior National Forest. I know that you're not supposed to carry in a State Park, but I don't know about National Parks Or State Forests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:20 pm 

I'd like to know how the DNR gets off supersceding state law. Isn't that akin to the police making up laws contrary to what our legislature does?

It looks like there is a collection of "actual laws", chapter 6100, that does specifically talk about this.

I find this incredibbly annoying since it's like gigantic taxpayer funded gun free zones. It's even worse than the schools maybe. At least in a school you know your surrounded by emotionally unstable criminals. Out in a park, you have no idea what you may come across. You may think you're alone, you may come across a bear, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:32 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I posted this on another thread and no one commented on it:

http://www.packing.org/state/documents/minnesota_phpwlL51f_mn_dnr.doc

My instructor said you can carry in the state parks as long as it isn't bow hunting season...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pakrat wrote:
I posted this on another thread and no one commented on it:

http://www.packing.org/state/documents/minnesota_phpwlL51f_mn_dnr.doc

My instructor said you can carry in the state parks as long as it isn't bow hunting season...

It's kind of weirdly self-contradictory; they claim that CCW supercedes MR 6100.0800, subpart 1 which prohibits uncased/loaded firearms in state parks. But in the part about shining, they claim that shining wild animals while possessiing a firearm IS a violation of the shining laws, even with a permit to carry.

If the CCW law trumps other bans on firearms (the "State Park" law MR6100.0800, subpart1), why wouldn't it equally trump MS 97B.081 (shining law) or the Archery law?

Is it because the state park law is a ban on being in a place while in carrying, while the shining law is a ban on behavior while carrying? It's about the only distinction I can see.

I wonder if this represents a (small) hole in the CCW law; perhaps there should be language to the effect that laws prohibiting the posession of firearms except where noted under exceptions shall not apply to valid permit holders posessing pistols for self defense purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:38 pm 

So it looks like they are aware, but they still have not changed their posted rules. One of those things that needs a guinea pig and I really don't want to be the guinea pig. Especially when the DNR is already given wide latitude to violate your rights without due process (confiscating your boat and vehicle you towed it with etc... if you have 11 vs 10 crappies for example).

Post subject: conceal or be test case
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:16 pm 

I think the DNR knows they can't post,and most people agree it is not a legal posting,I carry in state parks,and I am aware of my cover garment acutely as I don't have time to be the test case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm one of those that thinks you can carry in a State Park legally per the carry law. The DNR thinks their regulations say you can't. If a Park Ranger were to arrest you for carrying (with a carry permit) I think you would win in court and we could put this thing to bed. I hope one of you guys hurry up and volunteer and get this over with, as for me, I'll make sure I don't open carry in a State Park until this is settled. :roll:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:07 pm 

To sum up what I've been doing ever since I got my permit,

Concealed means concealed.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

Joel has elsewhere brought up the subject of possible improvements in the MPPA law. A good one would be a requirement that if you're arrested/charged for carrying on government property, and found to have been carrying within your rights, the responsible government entity which pays your attorneys fees, etc.

A similar rule has done a remarkable job of making even the most anti-carry sheriffs behave properly. I think it would also whip the state fair, DNR, etc. into line.

Post subject: CARRY vs CARRIED
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:05 pm 

It is better to be tried by twelve,
Than carried by six!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:30 am 
Longtime Regular

You could have instant DNR appearance, call them and say someone shot a hen pheasent. Their gestapo will be there instantly.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.