Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 IF YOU'RE STOPPED BY THE POLICE 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:16 am 
Journeyman Member

I've discussed this with an ex North Dakota LEO I work with, and his opinion is he'd rather have the permit holder let him know up front if she/he is carrying. But - he will also readily admit that this is him personally, and isn't nessessarily true for all LEOs. I let him know that, as usual, he was of zero help. ;)

I am so jealous of all you guys who have had the opportunity to be stopped by one of our local officers to have this discussion...........

......... Wait. Never mind. I guess I was thinking about something else.

Carry on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, no……both very blasé about it.

In addition, they were VERY appreciative that I informed them up front. I did ask then “how would you like me to proceed?” They only asked where the gun was. No sign of apprehension, concern, stress or fear was observed. Mostly, just an interested curiosity.

One Sheriff even mentioned that he was going to take the CCW class just for the information it provided. Another asked what kind of gun I had.

Again, neather asked to see the gun, or the permit.

Both of them (and another LO I have talked to in the past) expressed interest in how a permit carrier would interact when stopped by police, while carrying.

They stated, they have had conversations with other LO's in the station on this matter. They were very happy to hear that many of the classes taught that the best thing was for the permit holder to keep both hands on the wheel and inform the LO that they were carrying. They thought that was a great way to handle it.

I was the first permit holder either one had stopped (that they were aware of). It seem that they were intrigued enough, to just give me a warning.

Post subject: If you're stopped by the police.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I thought part of the 2003 bill was that the database of Carry Permit Holders was to be tied into the Motor Vehicle License database so when an LEO checked the license plate he would automatically get that the vehicle was registered to a permit holder. I believe this was to be implemented within 6 months of the 2003 law. I don't think it was implemented within that time.

Does anyone know if the databases were ever combined?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

No, that is not part of the 2005 version. It may have been attached to the bill, but striped before the vote.

LEO's are supposed to have access to the database of permit holders, but it is not directly tied to your driver's license.

Depending on the systems they use to look up info, I suppose the departments could have a system that checks that database.

I don't think that changed since 2003.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is the wording from the 2003 bill concering the DPS database:

26.24 Subd. 15. [COMMISSIONER OF PUBLIC SAFETY; CONTRACTS;
26.25 DATABASE.] (a) The commissioner of public safety must maintain
26.26 an automated database of persons authorized to carry pistols
26.27 under this section that is available 24 hours a day, seven days
26.28 a week, only to law enforcement agencies, including prosecutors
26.29 carrying out their duties under subdivision 8a, to verify the
26.30 validity of a permit.

It was to be implemented within 180 days:

36.27 Sec. 36. [EFFECTIVE DATE.]
36.28 Sections 1 to 35 are effective 30 days after final
36.29 enactment and apply to crimes committed on or after that date,
36.30 except that the commissioner of public safety must promulgate
36.31 the list required under section 21 within 60 days of final
36.32 enactment. The database required by section 20 must be
36.33 operational within 180 days of the effective date.

The 2005 bill re-instated the 2003 law with a few noted changes.

I thought I heard at one time the databases were to be connected.

Post subject: Re: Obeying the Law
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:34 am 
Forum Moderator

lance22 wrote:
On some of the other forums I've also read of people who revealed that they were carrying only to have a novice / nervous LEO disarm them, often botching the job ... everything from finger in the trigger guard to leaving it loaded on the hood, not ejecting the mag first, poor muzzle control, et all. I'm not sure I've ever read that about MN, but ... at IPSC matches, I know that some of the LEO's who show up for the FIRST TIME have a real problem with keeping the finger out of the trigger guard ... don't know if that's an indication of what's out there as far as general LEO gun-handling skills but if it is, I've seen plenty to form a well educated opinion.

I've been told by someone who sees a lot of LEO range training that many of them are quite poor with muzzle discipline. I don't know if its an initial training thing, an ongoing training thing or just a casual attutude brought on by familiarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:29 am 
On time out

now four interactions with police since i got the permit.

everytime I have permit and license in hand as they walk up. I DO NOT say anything except "how do you want to handle it?" All four officers have said no problem. you are not the ones we are worried about, etc one simply said
"yeah so what ?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:58 pm 
Journeyman Member

I seem to get the "why do you need a gun" routine. My wife got the same racket from a lady cop. "Who do you work for?" Next time I get asked why I carry (in that condescending, cops-are-better tone), ey're gonna get "For the same reasons you do" or maybe even a "I dunno, why do you carry?"

I'll continue my habit of kindly informing any officer of my "condition" at the beginning of any interaction, and will stay amicable as long as they do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

BigRedBowtie wrote:
I seem to get the "why do you need a gun" routine. My wife got the same racket from a lady cop. "Who do you work for?" Next time I get asked why I carry (in that condescending, cops-are-better tone), ey're gonna get "For the same reasons you do" or maybe even a "I dunno, why do you carry?"

I'll continue my habit of kindly informing any officer of my "condition" at the beginning of any interaction, and will stay amicable as long as they do...

Do they actually ask you that question?

Possible answers:

A) "Because you're not always here to protect me."
B) "It's a matter of national security. I can't say any more."
C) "It's kind of embarassing, but I have a small [unit], and this helps my self-esteem."
D) "It matches my shoes."
E) "It's not a gun, it's a computer -- I got tired of being called a geek."

and

F) "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

How about: I showed you my permit to carry a gun, now can I see your permit to ask stupid questions?

There sure seems to be alot of members who have numerous encounters with LEO's. :shock: What's up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

gunflint wrote:
How about: I showed you my permit to carry a gun, now can I see your permit to ask stupid questions?

There sure seems to be alot of members who have numerous encounters with LEO's. :shock: What's up with that?

That was my other question. I'm only 38 and I've only been stopped by the police twice in my entire life, both times when I was 18.

I've spent time in a MPD squad car, but that was a ride along with my neighbor, not anything where carrying was an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:

Well, I, uh, uh, put a lot miles on my car. :oops:

Most all of it is, “city driving”. It makes for lots of occasions to be “seen”. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:04 pm 
On time out

of the four interactions with the police.

one mn state patrol for speeding, handed him both and he said "so what?" handed back permit and walked back to car, five minutes later walked up and said i had a parking ticket on the car, but that i should take care of that right away and have a nice day. (first time i was stopped in ten years. ( parking ticket was daughter parking on the street after 1 am at freinds house. )

two. Roseville city cop after a TA, he was walking up and i handed him both and he just asked what i had, said "a paraord p 12" he said "LDA?" and i nodded and he said "nice" handed back permit, I was clearly at fault in accident but received no ticket. First accident i ever caused

three, Edina, TA, not involved but stopped to render assistance to a injured kid. Mom was severely injured, I was pretty sure she would not make it from seeing her, but she did. I was more concerned with kid bleeding out from arm laceration, and with him seeing his mom die. EMTs walked up and I said i have this stopped she is critical, and they worked on her, cops came up to me to get my info and i gave him both cards. he just handed the permit back without a word. Later the first cop called me at home to thank me for stopping. and told me that the woman would live and be ok. I honestly thought she had been too badly hurt. (bad head injury, cavity on side of head. severely broken legs, compound of the thigh. other shin was nearly 90 degree bend.)

Four, driving home after a twins game. got pulled over after making a u turn at a non marked intersection. I think he was just trolling for DWI's, handed over both cards, he looked at permit, I asked how would you like to procede, Sir, he told me to procede more slowly and let me go on the spot did not even run license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't think I would have informed the LEO that I was carrying at the TA. It wasn't a possible confrontational situation and you weren't a possible threat to law enforcement. However, my experience with law enforcement is somewhat scewed by the fact that I live in a small community and I know most of the deputies and other LEO's that I come in contact with.

The fact that you stopped and helped is commendable. Most people just want to watch or "not get involved." As a EMT and a member of Search and Rescue I carry to every call. In most cases we are at the scene long before law enforcement arrives.

I think that if you are the focus of law enforcements attention (ie) traffic stop, then you should inform them that you are carrying. If you're just talking to them I wouldn't say anything about it unless asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:33 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

1911fan wrote:
I was clearly at fault in accident but received no ticket. First accident i ever caused

In our no-fault state, you would have to be reckless or extremely negligent or admit to something reckless or extremely negligent to the LEO, before you'd get a ticket.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.