Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Have you ever Klecked? 
 Post subject: Have you ever Klecked?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

By which I mean Gary Kleck, of course. I interviewed him for a story I did back in the 1990s for the Strib -- I still can't believe they published it -- titled "A Gun in the House." (I also interviewed Joel R, by the way.)

It wasn't about carry, which makes it only tangentially relevant to this forum, but a tangent I'm guessing most forumits are interested inl. But what I'm driving at is, have you ever been in a situation in which you did something related to a gun that would make you a part of Kleck's famous 2.4 million defensive gun uses per year?

Has anybody on this forum, at the very least, referred to a gun in a situation in which that had the effect of stopping a crime? The gun, by the way, has to have been real, even though it need not have been produced or displayed, let alone fired.

Just curious. I did, once, a whole lotta years ago. And Joel sure did, because I made his incident the centerpiece of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have not had to yet and hope I don't!

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Have you ever Klecked?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:58 pm 
on probation

Dave Matheny wrote:
By which I mean Gary Kleck, of course. I interviewed him for a story I did back in the 1990s for the Strib -- I still can't believe they published it -- titled "A Gun in the House." (I also interviewed Joel R, by the way.)

It wasn't about carry, which makes it only tangentially relevant to this forum, but a tangent I'm guessing most forumits are interested inl. But what I'm driving at is, have you ever been in a situation in which you did something related to a gun that would make you a part of Kleck's famous 2.4 million defensive gun uses per year?

Has anybody on this forum, at the very least, referred to a gun in a situation in which that had the effect of stopping a crime? The gun, by the way, has to have been real, even though it need not have been produced or displayed, let alone fired.

Just curious. I did, once, a whole lotta years ago. And Joel sure did, because I made his incident the centerpiece of the story.
Yes Dave I did 4 times in the last 3 1/2 weeks. and over the years about 30 times.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm 

Yes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

And Dave, if you dont know goalie's story, you should.

By the way, here's Dave's article from 1995. I hope no one minds me posting it here for scholarly purposes.

Libraries are wonderful.

Quote:
A GUN in the HOUSE // Guns are kept in half the homes in the country. Are they more likely to kill the innocent or protect their owners? While the debate goes on, individuals make their own choices. To do that, they need information.

Dave Matheny, Staff Writer. Star Tribune. Minneapolis, Minn.: Jul 3, 1995. pg. 01.E

Copyright Star Tribune Newspaper of the Twin Cities Jul 3, 1995

Joel Rosenberg awoke suddenly one night with his wife, Felicia, screaming at him that someone was in the room. That someone had just reached under the covers and grabbed her.

"I got out of bed shouting I was gonna get my gun and kill the son of a bitch," Rosenberg said. The intruder fled down the stairs.

Rosenberg went for a 9-millimeter pistol he kept in a bedside drawer, but it had a childproof lock that he didn't want to fumble around with. He discarded that and went for a .22 pistol in a locked bag. He ripped the bag open to get the gun, then slammed a loaded magazine in.

Under stress, he worked the gun's slide twice, dropping a cartridge on the floor, he realized, as he ran to check on his 1-year-old daughter, Judy. She was safely asleep. With safety of wife and child assured, he approached the top of the stairs.

Armed and bare

He remembers crouching there, feeling foolish in his underwear, but hearing the bad guys - it later turned out to have been several - leaving. The police arrived a few minutes later. The adrenaline stayed with the Rosenbergs all night.

That was four years ago. Rosenberg, a science-fiction and fantasy writer, lives with his family in south Minneapolis. These days they have a burglar-alarm system, a huge dog and big pistols upstairs and downstairs in childproof steel boxes with push-button locks that Joel or Felicia can open in less than two seconds.

Rosenberg's encounter can be added to a list that apparently is very long. Such defensive uses of guns by potential victims to stop crimes - usually without a shot fired - happen about 2.4 million times a year, according to University of Florida criminologist Gary Kleck, who has been studying the subject for about 15 years.

There are those who disagree with Kleck's findings, including the Washington, D.C.-based Handgun Control Inc. (HCI). HCI says that Kleck's work plays into the hands of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Although the gun issue frequently is divided along liberal-conservative lines, with liberals generally on the antigun side, Kleck identifies himself as a liberal Democrat, a member of the American Civil Liberties Union and other traditionally liberal organizations. He is not a member of the NRA. Kleck said in a recent phone interview that he disagrees with the NRA on everything except gun control.

Undisputed facts

Several facts are agreed upon by everyone: About half the households in the country have at least one gun. Only a small percentage of Americans will ever find themselves in a situation in which being armed would help. But more than 220 million guns already are out there, most in lawful hands.

More guns are being manufactured and imported all the time, so the gun issue should not be viewed as one that's on its way out because various gun bans eventually will remove them from everyone's hands. On the contrary, a growing number of states are relaxing laws restricting carrying guns (for noncriminals) with evidence of, if anything, decreased misuse.

Many people, especially those unfamiliar with guns, find themselves faced with a particularly agonizing choice - whether to arm themselves against an eventuality that probably won't happen (at least in low-crime areas), with the attendant risks of the gun being misused; or to take those risks because there is no other means of defense quite so effective. As Rosenberg makes the case, "That choonk-choonk that a pump-action shotgun makes when chambering a round is the international sound for `Go away.' "

For some the choice is easy: They loathe guns and wouldn't have one around.

For others, often those from families in which guns were a commonplace part of life, the prospect of keeping a gun handy is a reasonable choice.

Rosenberg said that after four years his sleep has almost returned to normal. He summed up his own feelings: "It's just that, having one, I feel slightly safer than otherwise."

Post subject: The story went on from there
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's been a while since I looked at the story. As I recall, it went on from there, but maybe only in the form of a long sidebar that detailed Kleck's findings, among others.

One item I came across while rummaging through many crime stats and included in the story was the fact that, according to a federal survey, if one is assaulted, the form of resistance least likely to result in harm to the victim was resistance with a gun.

All other forms, from total passivity, pleading, and attempted negotiation, to martial arts and using a knife, were more likely to result in harm to the victim.

Well, duh. From our viewpoint.

But there are an awful lot of people out there who'll say that if you try to resist by using a gun, it will just be taken away from you. I'm pretty sure this notion comes from the movies.

Post subject: Re: The story went on from there
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 pm 

Dave Matheny wrote:

But there are an awful lot of people out there who'll say that if you try to resist by using a gun, it will just be taken away from you. I'm pretty sure this notion comes from the movies.

The only demographic group that those numbers would point to would be police officers, who, by the nature of their job, are often killed with their own weapon. As for civilians, well, I would be interested in the story of a civilian who had his/her firearm taken away and used against them. I have yet to read about it happening.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:35 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

You still think I should have talked to the TV reporters, don't you?

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 pm 
Wise Elder

Yes. 4 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

No, and I, too, hope to never have to. But I am prepared to if I must.

On a side note: Dave, I am stunned to learn a "gunny" is allowed to work for the Strib! I thought only ultra liberals were allowed to grace the paper. I think that is why Dan Barrerio was forced out. :D

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Last edited by Moby Clarke on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:45 pm 

Quote:

3 times in my lifetime years ago. I care not to discuss them on a public forum, but yes crimes were stopped. One of the three the police were not notified. Check me off as one who didn't report that one to authorities fearing I may have done something wrong.
In hindsight I in fact did not.
My most recent incident involved drawing up on a mother bear with her cubs after we "stumbled across each other", but I'm pretty sure she had no criminal intenet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:31 pm 

I've been carrying since 1988. In that time I have had 3 incidents, all of which I discuss in my carry class.

Oddly enough, all of them happened in Minneapolis between 1997 and 2003.

I have had other incidents when I was a police officer, but I don't feel like those "count" since I was not acting as a civillian at the time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Quote:

You still think I should have talked to the TV reporters, don't you?

Well, sure. Not only is it a good -- and very typical -- self-defense story, but you are the poster child for "responsible, law-abiding citizen." You've got everything but the cape and tights. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:05 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Andrew Rothman wrote:
You've got everything but the cape and tights. Image

Was I supposed to get a cape and tights with my permit??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:42 am 

I never have, but back in May it was real close once.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.