Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Amy's still after gun owners 
 Post subject: Amy's still after gun owners
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:12 pm 
Wise Elder

U. S. Senate candidate Amy Klobchar's public views on guns.

>>>>> GUNS

Gun crimes have risen dramatically in our state. [They mirror the increase in drug crimes and are committed by the same small group of intensely violent felons. -Ed.] In the last five years homicides from guns increased 65 percent in Minnesota [Almost entirely in Minneapolis. -Ed.], and guns were used in two-thirds of the 264 Minneapolis homicides between January 1, 1994, and May 24, 1997. About 1,500 of the 1,769 guns seized by Minneapolis police in 1997 were connected to a crime [A hands-on survey done in the 90's demonstrated that most of these were "recovered stolen property" not crime guns. Ed.], and 54% of the 128 homicides in Minnesota in 1997 were committed with handguns [This percentage is consistent with long-term national statistics. -Ed.].

To crack down on gun violence, we need to enforce the gun laws that are on the books and take aggressive steps to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and kids. The use of guns by [criminal -Ed.] juveniles has escalated to epic proportions. Statistics prove it. Minneapolis police seized 636 guns from juveniles in 1996 alone. The U.S. Department of Education found that over 6,000 students were expelled from public schools in 1996-97 for possessing guns. From 1994 to 1995, homicide was the leading cause of death among Minneapolis young people (ages 15-24) [Almost all youth deaths are intentional; they don't die of heart disease. These are adult gang members not "kids." -Ed.] and guns were used in 78 percent of those crimes. It's time to stop the senseless killings and tragedies that result from gun violence in our community.

• Target Felons in Possession and Hold Lawbreakers Accountable for Gun Crimes

In recent years, the Minnesota Legislature has taken some steps to respond to the increase in gun violence. Acting on citizens' concerns, the Legislature passed laws to lock up criminals who carry and use guns. These laws--mandatory sentences, increased penalties for drive-by shootings, and longer sentences for convicted felons in possession of guns--can be effective tools in the hands of county prosecutors. But good legislation is only part of the solution. Prosecution resources must be committed, policies must be established, and management practices must be put in place to enforce these statutes. Working with other criminal justice professionals, I will make gun prosecutions a top priority of my administration.

It's simply unacceptable that 14 children [80% of them are adults over 18. -Ed.] are killed with guns in America every day, and that 35,957 Americans were killed by firearms in 1995 alone [17,500 suicides, 17,500 murders (all intentional acts) and less that 500 accidents and justifiable killings. -Ed.],--a number higher than the 33,651 Americans killed in the Korean War. I will target people who [illegally?] carry guns, trace guns seized from kids and felons, and seek the longest prison sentences available under the law for those who illegally use guns. I will establish a comprehensive office-wide war on guns, using all laws currently available and proposing new ones as needed. There will be accountability for the careless use or storage of firearms.

• Stopping Gun Violence

There are 223 million firearms in America-- 76 million of which are handguns--and a child [Almost all are over 18. -Ed.] is killed with one every two hours. As County Attorney, I will seek to carry out the following programs and policies to stop gun violence:

Prohibit plea bargaining in cases involving guns without my or the criminal division head's specific approval, to be granted only in extraordinary circumstances.

Oppose legislation making it easier to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. At present, gun permits in Minnesota are issued at the discretion of local law enforcement agencies, with approximately 115 gun permits issued each month in the City of Minneapolis alone. I have strongly and consistently opposed the more expansive and dangerous "must issue" legislation that would put more concealed handguns on our streets. We need fewer handguns in our community, not more. My position is supported by law enforcement officers across the county.

• Assign investigators to ensure that we know an offender's complete criminal history information. This will allow the charging of more felon-in-possession cases, allow county prosecutors to more accurately advise judges on pre-trial release issues and seek and obtain longer prison sentences for convicted criminals.

Support the construction of the new jail to make room to hold gun offenders in custody pending trial and prior to sentencing. Pre-trial release decisions should be made on the basis of public safety, not limited jail space. With police making more arrests, particularly in Minneapolis with the advent of the CODEFOR initiative, more jail space is needed. It does little good for police to make more arrests if we have no place to hold lawbreakers.

• Provide better training to police officers so that they are on the cutting edge with respect to search and seizure issues.

• Seek legislation to add the crime of terroristic threats to the category of crime for which there is a mandatory prison sentence when committed with a firearm.

Require gun purchasers to buy inexpensive, $3 - $5 trigger locks for their guns to reduce gun-related accidents. [NRA just agreed to this. -Ed.]

Seek legislation requiring gun stores to keep firearms in locked safes or vaults during non-business hours (over 200 guns were stolen from stores or licensed firearm dealers in 1996). [Coming to your HOUSE soon. -Ed.]

• Seek presumptive adult certification for any kid over 16 carrying or using a handgun in the commission of a serious crime.

• Support the gun education initiative currently underway in Hennepin County Juvenile Court.

• Target "straw purchasers" and those who sell guns to kids, and prosecute those who fail to store guns in safe, secure places.

Assign a team of prosecutors dedicated to prosecuting gun crimes. Only through a comprehensive system-wide attack will we be able to make our streets free from gun violence. I will fight hard to reduce the number of crimes committed with firearms and will invest whatever resources are necessary to turn the tide. The County Attorney's Office will be a leader in this effort.

• Better Background Checks

State law requires that a criminal background check be performed to find out whether prospective handgun purchasers have committed any felonies, and I will vigorously oppose any attempt by the National Rifle Association to change that law. The Justice Department estimates that the background checks and waiting periods called for by the Brady law have prevented over 186,000 illegal over-the-counter gun sales. The faster we can move toward instant, computerized criminal record checks for gun purchasers the better.

• Accuracy and Accountability in Sentencing

A defendant's criminal history is a critical element in sentencing decisions. Unfortunately, background checks do not always fully disclose conviction records. Moreover, obtaining criminal histories from some jurisdictions is difficult if not impossible. I will work hard to make it easier to track an offender's record. Only if we have full information about a defendant's past will we be able to ensure that a defendant is properly punished. Deterrence is one of the most important purposes of our criminal justice system. As County Attorney, I will publicize my hard-line stance on firearms so that everyone is on notice that the illegal use of guns will result in lengthy prison sentences.

• Working with Law Enforcement Agencies

Using the leadership of the County Attorney's Office, I will partner with other criminal justice agencies to improve their capacity to enforce gun laws and remove guns from the streets. Minneapolis' partnership with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to trace recovered weapons and the FBI's new DRUGFIRE system--which catalogues images of cartridge cases and fired bullets on computer to help identify perpetrators of serial gun crimes--are just two examples of the kind of innovative approaches we need in Hennepin County. The limited resources of the criminal justice system must be applied where they make the most public safety difference. <<<<<

http://www.haven.com/klobuchar98/platform.htm#guns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dang!

I almost thought about voting for here.... NOT... I guess the money to run for office comes with some strings attached.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

This has to be a really old agenda...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:23 pm 
Delicate Flower

The link says "Klobuchar 98/ platform" in the middle. Did not see anything referenced later than that on a quick once-over.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:24 pm 
Wise Elder

grayskys wrote:
This has to be a really old agenda...

That's why I posted in the URL. It has the date in it. Nothing's changed, however, WRT her attitude toward guns and gun owners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:31 pm 
Delicate Flower

"No" vote from me!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

An anti-gun metrocrat? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Post subject: She changed her tune?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:22 pm 
Journeyman Member

Well, her current site doesn't mention anything of the sort

http://www.amyklobuchar.com

Maybe she figured out in the past 7 years that being anti-gun is not a good way to get elected. Then again, I'm still not likely to vote for her.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:57 am 
The Man

The question is whether or not she's actually changed her mind, or is changing the subject.

Until I hear from her -- unambiguously and believably -- that she has changed her mind, I'm going to believe it's the second.

More importantly, at least to me: do we have any candidate -- preferably a DFL candidate (I don't think the Republicans should have a monopoly on this) -- who is reliably pro-civil rights (including the 2nd Amendment)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was a good one Joel. You were kidding, right? Right? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:05 pm 

joelr wrote:
More importantly, at least to me: do we have any candidate -- preferably a DFL candidate (I don't think the Republicans should have a monopoly on this) -- who is reliably pro-civil rights (including the 2nd Amendment)?

:shock: :shock: :P Bahahah! Now there is an oxymoron a DFL'r who is pro 2A and pro civil rights. And using the term "reliably" when referring to politicians???:P :shock: :shock: Nominate Ronnie Raygun!!! Oh, sorry he was republican and also no longer with us.

So seriously now, has anyone had a chance to ask Ms. Klubitcher her current views on the topic so we can see a recent direct quote?

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

joelr wrote:

Do we have any candidate from either the Republicans or the Democrats who are in favor of all the Ammendments?

The Democrats want my guns but the Republicans want a state-sponsored religion.

A curse on both their houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:28 am 

Libertarians.

www.lp.org

www.lpmn.org

When it comes to gun control, there are only 2 options:

1. The government tells you what you can and cannot own

2. You own what you want to own.

Since Republicans "sezied control" of the presidency, house, and senate in 2000, what gun controls have been repealed?

None. None at all.

Meanwhile, the war on the American gun owner continues completely unchecked.

The Democrats - well, I don't have to tell you about them. But don't be so sure the Republicans are on your side. The people in power want more power. They keep that by keeping the status quo. That's not in the best interest of gun owners.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:44 am 
on probation

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
Libertarians.

www.lp.org

www.lpmn.org

When it comes to gun control, there are only 2 options:

1. The government tells you what you can and cannot own

2. You own what you want to own.

Since Republicans "sezied control" of the presidency, house, and senate in 2000, what gun controls have been repealed?

None. None at all.

Meanwhile, the war on the American gun owner continues completely unchecked.

The Democrats - well, I don't have to tell you about them. But don't be so sure the Republicans are on your side. The people in power want more power. They keep that by keeping the status quo. That's not in the best interest of gun owners.
You are so Right on that one.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.