Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I-94 and Hiawatha Shooting 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I always wear muffs when shooting skeet, but when pheasant hunting I never do. I'm consistently amazed at the fact that the 3" magnum shells I use hunting don't seem very loud, yet even sitting 25 yards away from other shooters at the skeet range their light target load shots DO seem loud.

Not quite the same as a short-barreled handgun, but there's a heck of a lot more powder in a 3" magnum shotshell than in a pistol round.

JDR, where were you living that you had a house being built "next door" but you could still casually pump out 45 LC rounds off the back porch, HST-style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Of course the best way to get rid of the evidence is to have roast goose for dinner! I hope you didn't waste it!

Greg

Do you know a good recipe? Wild goose is not quite like domesticated. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:00 pm 

We shot up some windshields and car doors at Camp Ripley with the St Paul CIRT team a long time ago to demonstrate angle of incidence/angle of deflection type issues. We didn't shoot handguns at them, but the car doors didn't do a damn thing to stop a rifle round. The windshield didn't do much to deflect a .308 unless the shot hit at an extreme angle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:57 pm 
Delicate Flower

goalie wrote:
We shot up some windshields and car doors at Camp Ripley with the St Paul CIRT team a long time ago to demonstrate angle of incidence/angle of deflection type issues. We didn't shoot handguns at them, but the car doors didn't do a damn thing to stop a rifle round. The windshield didn't do much to deflect a .308 unless the shot hit at an extreme angle.

Have towed cars involved in shootings involving handguns.

The first one had .380 holes in the windshield (parked), straight in shots.....sent several to the hospital. BG took return fire from a .40 and wandered off and expired.

Second was a moving gun battle .......recovered casings were .40 and .45. Of course no firearms were present when LEO's arrived. Straight-in shots penetrated trunk lid and rear qtr. panel but anything with an angle deflected and gouged (ie trunk lid)

All in all I would not count on auto sheet metal for protection.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:03 am 
Longtime Regular

[/quote]

All in all I would not count on auto sheet metal for protection.[/quote]

Maybe if it was a 1957 Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac or something, but certainly not a car made these days. They make them any thinner and they switch over from sheet metal to foil. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I always wear muffs when shooting skeet, but when pheasant hunting I never do. I'm consistently amazed at the fact that the 3" magnum shells I use hunting don't seem very loud, yet even sitting 25 yards away from other shooters at the skeet range their light target load shots DO seem loud.

Not quite the same as a short-barreled handgun, but there's a heck of a lot more powder in a 3" magnum shotshell than in a pistol round.

JDR, where were you living that you had a house being built "next door" but you could still casually pump out 45 LC rounds off the back porch, HST-style?

I’m thinking it is the fact that this particular handgun had a 3” barrel. :?

In answer to your question, I live in Victoria. I am on a lake where many people, including a good friend of mine shoot geese and ducks just a few hundred feet off my shoreline. There is a hunt and gun club nearby where the reports from the shotguns is very audible.

Admittedly it was a few years ago, when not quite so many house were completed at the time. I think I could get away with today, but I have mellowed some since. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.