Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I-94 and Hiawatha Shooting 
 Post subject: I-94 and Hiawatha Shooting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:22 am 
Longtime Regular

They just showed it on KSTP but no web mention yet. One car pulled up to another and put 15 rounds into it. No one killed but all in the hospital. They are not saying who or what yet. My bet it is some spill over from MPLS North.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:29 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Link to story:
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S12697.html?cat=1

15 bullet holes in the car.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Must have been engaging in "Risky" behaviour!

Dang! need to start packing my AR in the front seat to effectively return fire... Say, for those who carry and extra mag or two (or more for that matter) do you carry one filled with FMJ's? for "hard" target penetration?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:04 pm 
Delicate Flower

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Must have been engaging in "Risky" behaviour!

Dang! need to start packing my AR in the front seat to effectively return fire... Say, for those who carry and extra mag or two (or more for that matter) do you carry one filled with FMJ's? for "hard" target penetration?

Mostly-

FMJ...Hard Target penetration.........hmmm not a bad idea.. Recently picked up some 30 rd mags for my carbine from Mark (good price too).....I could double the BG output.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I understand <unverified information>SWAT teams do this for windshield penetration </unverified information>. wonder how they manage the time to do a mag swap with a car bearing down on them at suitable pistol ranges... I keep pondering if I want to start to practice this, but then there is the issue of remebering which mag is which, another item to cause a headach trying to keep straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I recall, a common practice to seperate dummy rounds or blanks from the real rounds was to place a piece of colored tape around the mag. 3M makes various colred tapes for whatever purpose one needs. I would remove the tape ocassionally just to clean under it and make sure no corrosion has formed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Star Trib coverage:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5776963.html
Quote:
Police investigate triple shooting on I-94
Star Tribune
December 13, 2005

An early morning shooting on Interstate Hwy. 94 left three people wounded and their car riddled with bullets. Minneapolis police are searching for suspects.

The driver of the bullet-riddled car managed to exit I-94 near Hiawatha Avenue and drive to the Rainbow Foods on 26th Av. S. KSTP-TV reported that the car was hit 15 times.

The initial call for help shortly before 1 a.m., mentioned that a person was shot. What police found were two women and a man who needed medical attention, police said. Their injuries were not life-threatening.

Minneapolis police said they are searching for a motive as well as suspects, they said. Minnesota State Patrol authorities are assisting with the investigation.

The shooting did not appear to be random, according to police spokesman Officer Ron Reier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:34 am 
Forum Moderator

A report on the radio yesterday said that the victims weren't being cooperative with the police in identifying the suspects.

I wish I had an old car to shoot at, I'm curious at what kind of penetration I'd get with my handload 10mm FMJs vs. Winchester Silvertips. Mostly a non-issue, I'm sure, although it makes me wonder what the likelihood of shooting through a car in civilian defense situations actually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

You could always snag a door or quarter panel from a salvage yard. Then you could test and see just how dent resistant those Saturn door panels really are.
:twisted:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

mo_the_mouse wrote:
You could always snag a door or quarter panel from a salvage yard. Then you could test and see just how dent resistant those Saturn door panels really are.
:twisted:

I could, but Roger @ Burnsville Pistol gets testy when I drag stuff in and then there's the whole dodgy business of dragging it down range without getting shot.

It'd be the ideal thing to do if I had a place to do that kind of thing.

Post subject: Shooting in Cars and Through Windshields
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:20 pm 

Tony Caspers (finaloption.org) has done an excellent two day advanced carry class in the spring at Del Tone the last few years. I've attended the last two years and last year's session is featured in this month's issue of Concealed Carry mag. Our forum's own Cobb is pictured in the article and it shows Tony shooting thru the windshield of a junker. He then let all of us try it, it was not pretty.

Tony and his partner Tim, both Mpls SWAT officers, made several points with respect to cars. Get out, don't get trapped inside one as you generally can't hit beans and you will be deafened by the noise. Second, unless you are behind the wheels ( preferably the ones where the engine is) you have concealment, not cover.

For the night classes they issue you helmets and Glock 17T, the stimunition guns. They do search you to ensure the only gun you have is the one they gave you. Tony and his friends go thru 3 real life scenarios with them as the BG. They then debrief you on your actions and discuss what what you did right and/or why you died. Highly recommended class, lots of one on one coaching. All shooting is done on reactive steel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shooting in Cars and Through Windshields
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Tony and his partner Tim, both Mpls SWAT officers, made several points with respect to cars. Get out, don't get trapped inside one as you generally can't hit beans and you will be deafened by the noise.

As a private citizen, I'm stayin' in that 2-ton projectile and driving that Dodge, well, out of Dodge.

Or did he mean a car that isn't running?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:58 pm 

I agree with you and Tony was talking about a car that can't move, ie disabled or boxed in. I always wonder how people get pulled from their vehicles! Mine would be moving down the road, horn sounding, but they best get out of my way! Also between deaf or dead, well I can make that decision.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:
Tony and his partner Tim, both Mpls SWAT officers, made several points with respect to cars. Get out, don't get trapped inside one as you generally can't hit beans and you will be deafened by the noise.

As a private citizen, I'm stayin' in that 2-ton projectile and driving that Dodge, well, out of Dodge.

Or did he mean a car that isn't running?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

IDPA Shooter wrote:
......only Caspers (finaloption.org) has done an excellent two day advanced carry class in the spring at Del Tone the last few years. I've attended the last two years and last year's session is featured in this month's issue of Concealed Carry mag. Our forum's own Cobb is pictured in the article and it shows Tony shooting thru the windshield of a junker. He then let all of us try it, it was not pretty.

<snip>

Tony and his partner Tim, both Mpls SWAT officers, made several points with respect to cars. Get out, don't get trapped inside one as you generally can't hit beans and you will be deafened by the noise. Second, unless you are behind the wheels ( preferably the ones where the engine is) you have concealment, not cover.

<snip>

Man, I can believe that. I was watching a DVD a few months ago, on how to defend yourself, while in an auto. They instructed placing the barrel of the gun directly against the glass before firing. :shock:

All I could think about was the time I was waken up early in the morning by a bunch of geese out on the beach behind my house. I was so pissed off, that I went out onto the small deck directly off my bedroom and shouted at them. They totally ignored me. I went back into my bedroom, with the idea of scaring them off. I stood on the deck, leaning against the outside wall of the bedroom. I then fired a round from my Colt .45 over their heads of the geese, into the lake below. They could care less. I then fired another round into the sand just in front of them. They appeared to cared even less. Now I am really pissed. I holler at them “OK you F%$*@s”. I then aimed directly at the largest one and squeezed of a round. It dropped like a rock and all the others took of in a flurry, leaving the one dead goose on the beach all by itself. Satisfied, I turn around to go back into the bedroom and as I did, I happened to look off to my right. There were two construction guys working on a house, that was under construction next door. They were looking at me with their eyes as big as saucers. I think they were very nervous about some moron in his underwear killing geese in his back yard early in the morning. :wink:

Sorry, got carried away with the story. :oops:

The reason I brought it up, is that I had never fired the .45 out in the open before. I don’t know if it was because I was standing directly in front of a wall (sound affects, etc.), or what, but my ears were ringing so loud, I could hardly stand it. It lasted for hours. Interesting I did not notice the affect until after I went back into the house. I assume that it must have been because of the adrenalin dump. Needlessly to say, I wasn’t able to go back to sleep. In addition, the wife insisted that I go right out there and “get rid of that thing, right now!” :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Of course the best way to get rid of the evidence is to have roast goose for dinner! I hope you didn't waste it!

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.