Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Capital Notification 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm 

They used to send a letter in response (I have one).

I'd be interested to know how many people sent their notifications in before they discontinued the practice.

I suspect at some point someone got tired of having to respond to a ever-increasing requests and changed the policy.

For me, there's nothing like an acknowledgment on State stationery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

So how often do we need to send a notification letter? When we renew our permits? Never, the one letter is enough forever?

I do have one of the letters stating they received my notification letter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 am 

I've got a reduced size copy of the letter in my wallet between my permit and DL. (along with a card from Marc B!)

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:15 pm 

I haven't checked in to this thread for a while, but after reading, just for giggles, I called tonight to 'confirm' my status with the capitol police. 651-296-6741.

After giving the dispatcher my full last, first, and middle initial, she said that "since I don't get calls like this often at all, I have to check with a supervisor."

After about 2 minutes, she came back, and said that "yes, based on the information they had, I was permitted to carry on the capitol grounds."

I told her thanks, and stated that I had called due to the changes with administration I wanted to ensure everything was still in order. She again confirmed yes, and said have a nice evening.

I never did get a confirmation letter, but I had sent after the state had stopped sending letters. This was my second call (tonight, once a year ago), but I got the impression that the dispatcher completely didn't care, and just confirmed it over the phone. Good for us.

MADFI Instructor #16, Minnesota Personal Protection Instructors (MNPPI) Instructor #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Per this map it seems they consider the Minnesota History Center part of the Capitol Complex... whoops.

link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Is there a way to expedinatly get my name on the list?

I'd like to attend the hearing that is being held on Monday regarding casing a long gun, and I would like to be armed (the area is kinda rough.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:08 am 
The Man

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

I'd like to attend the hearing that is being held on Monday regarding casing a long gun, and I would like to be armed (the area is kinda rough.)
Were it me, I'd mail the letter to the Commissioner today, and also head down to the Capitol today (unarmed, alas, but with a friend on the list) and drop off a copy of the letter off at Capitol Security, and have a short chat with them.

No guarantees, but we are talking about a remarkably professional and service-oriented bunch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Oh, that's easy. Stop at the commissioner's office in downtown St. Paul and hand-deliver the letter. Get a receipt. Then proceed directly to the capitol, armed.

Their internal process is not your problem: you simply need to notify the commissioner as stated in the law.

Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Central Office, Town Square Building
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101
(651) 201-7000

Edit:

"The list" is not a part of the law. That's their internal process, which is not your concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Do you know where the Capitol Security desk/office is located?

ETA: Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

Drop it in priority mail today with the return receipt request. If I remember correctly, it took about 4 days to get my return receipt and that's all I need in my mind to carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 am 

kimberman wrote:
Try this form letter for the Metro area.

[much snippage]

Hennepin County Sheriff
Ramsey County Sheriff
Anoka County Sheriff
Dakota County Sheriff
Carver County Sheriff
Scott County Sheriff
Washington County Sheriff

Just a question to clarify this: there is nothing in the MN Statutes that limits the need for notification to these seven counties, is there? In other words, if you intend to carry in any MN county courthouse you would need to notify the sheriff of that county in advance, correct?

Also- I searched for Chapter 15.50 of the MN Statutes as referred to earlier, the definition of the Capitol Area referred to in MN Statute 609.66 Subd. 1g(2):

"any state building within the Capitol Area described in chapter 15B, other than the National Guard Armory."

is in Chapter 15B.02:

"15B.02 BOUNDARY OF CAPITOL AREA"

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=15B.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

elkster88 wrote:
Just a question to clarify this: there is nothing in the MN Statutes that limits the need for notification to these seven counties, is there? In other words, if you intend to carry in any MN county courthouse you would need to notify the sheriff of that county in advance, correct?

Correct. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

elkster88 wrote:
...I searched for Chapter 15.50 of the MN Statutes as referred to earlier, the definition of the Capitol Area referred to in MN Statute 609.66 Subd. 1g(2):

"any state building within the Capitol Area described in chapter 15B, other than the National Guard Armory."

is in Chapter 15B.02:

Wow, I read Chapter 15B.02 and thought, "This cries out for visualization!" so I drew the described border on the map of Saint Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
elkster88 wrote:
...I searched for Chapter 15.50 of the MN Statutes as referred to earlier, the definition of the Capitol Area referred to in MN Statute 609.66 Subd. 1g(2):

is in Chapter 15B.02:

Wow, I read Chapter 15B.02 and thought, "This cries out for visualization!" so I drew the described border on the map of Saint Paul.

Thanks for that. I briefly thought about doing the same thing but was too lazy.

I would mention that the text accompanying the Google Map might lead some folks to think carrying a pistol is restricted within the entire Capitol Area, rather than just the state buildings (excepting the NG Armory) within that area. It appears there are a number of non-state buildings including private residences inside the defined area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

elkster88 wrote:
I would mention that the text accompanying the Google Map might lead some folks to think carrying a pistol is restricted within the entire Capitol Area, rather than just the state buildings (excepting the NG Armory) within that area. It appears there are a number of non-state buildings including private residences inside the defined area.

Good point! I'll clarify that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.