Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The new instructor certification rules... 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 pm 
The Man

EAA10 wrote:
MagicAnimal wrote:
And as far as insurance goes, who besides the NRA will cover something like this? Several insurance agents said that they knew of no company who'll touch it.

:x

I am an insurance agent, and whoever you talked to apparently does not have access to very many markets in insurance. You run your training classes and make money doing it, so it is a business. If someone were to be injured, or God forbid killed, do you think you are going to be sued?

Long story short, yes it is insurable, and it is not cheap......but it is not outrageous expensive either.
Just my $.02

"Cheap" is a matter of opinion, and yours is only a lot more expert than mine. But the new NRA insurance plan — I'm looking over the details; a new instructor pointed the new plan out to me — costs $350/year, and if it really does cover non-NRA training, and does it well enough (I'll ask my insurance agent, if I don't spot the mickey), it's a bargain.

Insurance is about managing risk. Given how many instructors actually are sued, and what the typical recovery is, it's just this side of certain that the actuaries can figure out a realistic price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The new instructor certification rules...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am 

I would consider $350 to be pretty cheap, in my opinion.

If I were to write a policy, and I have in the past. Pricing comes down to different factors:

How long have you been teaching?
What certifications do you hold?
Where do you do most of the shooting portion of the class? A range, or private residence?
What liability limits? $1,000,000 is what I would recommend.

A general liability policy covers you for liability that you have as a business, including off location.
It also has a duty to defend included, so that if it is a covered claim, then they have to defend you.
Some polices have defense "inside the limits" and some are "outside the limits" meaning either you have the entire policy to pay the claim, or the defense costs come out of the total limit available.

My suggestion, read the policy before you purchase. Yes there is always an option for self insurance, a portion of the risk that you are willing to take on yourself. However, the true cost of insurance, is premiums, PLUS unpaid claims.

I would be curious to see the NRA policy...........That is a lot cheaper then the options I currently have, but I also know what is builit into the polcies I sell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 am 

On a separate note, not sure if this is where I should post this, but what do you have to do to become a certified instructor for the carry class?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:42 pm 
The Man

EAA10 wrote:
On a separate note, not sure if this is where I should post this, but what do you have to do to become a certified instructor for the carry class?

Pretty straightforward: either join an "Approved Business Organization" or become one. See http://www.bca.state.mn.us/Invest/Docum ... ssPPA.html for the list, and http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... Ag&cad=rja

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.