Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Article on Vick case explains self defense law well 
 Post subject: Article on Vick case explains self defense law well
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice to see when a reporter has done her homework. This one has.

See especially the sidebar story at the end.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13531513.htm

Quote:
Trial to air big questions in Vick's killing
Evans expected to claim self-defense or implicate companion as shooter
BY SHANNON PRATHER
Pioneer Press

There is no doubt last spring's slaying of St. Paul police Sgt. Gerald Vick tore a hole in the police ranks and pained an entire city.

But exactly what happened in a dark alley early May 6 on the city's East Side is less clear.

The case against Harry Evans, the man charged with shooting Vick, is fraught with complications. Evans' trial, scheduled to begin Tuesday with jury selection, will be the first of someone accused of killing a police officer in St. Paul in more than a decade.

Jurors could find themselves wrestling with difficult questions: What ignited the confrontation? What role did alcohol play? Does Vick's blood-alcohol level of 0.20 percent at the time of his death matter? Was the undercover officer on duty when he followed two men into an alley?

Those uncertainties have given Evans' attorneys reason to claim he acted in self-defense or that someone else pulled the trigger. The defense may point to Evans' companion, Antonio Kelly, who was considered a suspect during the chaotic hours after the shooting.

Prosecutors, who granted Kelly, 28, limited immunity for his grand jury testimony, may turn him into a star witness against Evans, 33, who is charged with first-degree intentional murder of a peace officer and second-degree intentional murder.

"It's a tough case for all the parties involved. We are interested in seeing Mr. Evans get a fair trial," said Kelley Malone-O'Neill, a Ramsey County assistant public defender representing Evans.

Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner, who in an unusual move will try the case personally, declined to speak about the strength of the state's evidence.

"As a prosecutor, I have an ethical obligation to only proceed in a case if I feel I can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt," she said. "Since we charged the case, there have been no surprises."

Prosecutors are expected to rely heavily on Kelly and a second witness, who say they saw Evans shoot Vick, as well as video surveillance that showed Evans outside the bar where the incident began. Vick's partner, Sgt. Joe Strong, who accompanied Vick that night, also is expected to testify. Police have recovered the handgun used in the shooting and have run a battery of tests on it.

To get a conviction on the first-degree murder charge, which carries an automatic life sentence, prosecutors must prove Vick was intentionally killed while engaged in the performance of official duties. The prosecution need not prove the defendant knew Vick was a peace officer.

To convict on the second-degree murder charge, which typically carries a 25-year sentence, prosecutors must prove only that the defendant intended to kill Vick.

Vick and Strong had been working undercover investigating prostitution at four local taverns when they walked out of Erick's Bar on East Seventh Street about 2 a.m. May 6. Authorities say the officers confronted Kelly and Evans. Kelly told police it was because he was urinating in public. All four men had been drinking, and at least three carried guns.

The police sergeants left in separate unmarked cars. But as Strong stopped in front of Erick's Bar, Kelly stepped in front of the officer's car and started a second confrontation, according to the criminal complaint in the case. Strong reported calling Vick for backup after seeing Evans rejoin Kelly.

In an alley near the bar, prosecutors allege, Evans shot Vick, 41, three times, killing him. Strong, who was behind Vick, pulled his handgun and fired at the two fleeing men but missed. It's unclear whether either Vick or Strong identified himself as a police officer. Police said investigators found Vick's gun still in its holster.

Evans and Kelly were arrested later that morning. Both men initially denied being involved with the shooting. But a day after his arrest, Kelly fingered Evans as the shooter. Kelly led police to the discarded .38-caliber revolver police determined was used in the shooting.

A man also came forward and told police he witnessed the shooting while driving by the bar. His description of the shooter's clothing matched what Evans was wearing that night.

But legal experts said the prosecution's case is far from seamless. Vick's intoxication coupled with questions about who started the confrontation outside the bar, how it escalated into violence and the credibility of Kelly's testimony could cast doubt in the minds of jurors and fuel an argument of self-defense.

In Minnesota, a person may kill in self-defense if he or she reasonably believes there is an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm and there is no opportunity to flee.

"The jury is going to be making the call if the perception of the person is reasonable," said professor John Sonsteng, who teaches criminal law at William Mitchell College of Law. "If you know that you can flee in complete safety, then you have to do that."

According to Minnesota law, jurors will be instructed that the average person must agree that fatal force was a reasonable exercise of judgment in the case.

"A person in the right circumstance can empty an entire gun into someone and a jury can find him not guilty of murder because of self-defense," said John Leunig, a defense attorney who in 1997 won an acquittal in a Hennepin County murder case arguing self-defense.

Vick's pursuit of Evans and Kelly and his intoxication could bolster a self-defense strategy.

"Intoxication can cause a person to do things they might otherwise not do," said defense attorney Howard Bass, who successfully argued self-defense for a man accused of fatally stabbing a student in downtown Minneapolis in 1999.

Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom, who is not involved with the case, said a thorough prosecutor who dissects the sequence of events for jurors could defeat a self-defense claim.

"You are going to make the jury understand this was not a reasonable action under the circumstances," Backstrom said.

A self-defense argument carries pitfalls. Defense experts said the strategy can plant an expectation among jurors that the defendant will testify, which is a risk. If Evans takes the stand, the prosecution may be able to ask him about his 1991 conviction for attempted murder in Illinois.

The defense also is expected to question whether Vick's actions were part of his official duties.

Vick was drinking with his partner and two women minutes before the shooting. Police and prosecutors have said he was undercover and on duty, but Samuel O'Neal, a bartender at Erick's, told a defense investigator that Vick identified himself as an officer when some bar patrons caused a ruckus and helped the bartender eject the troublemakers.

Legal experts say the defense will try to cast doubt that Vick was acting in an official capacity at the bar and when he left it. According to police, Vick started his shift at 11 a.m., which means he would have worked about 15 hours.

"I think that's absolutely fair game," Bass said. "Why is he intoxicated if he's on duty?"

Some of the physical evidence raises problems for the prosecution. Police found gunshot residue on Kelly's hands but found none on Evans.

Witness accounts could also trouble prosecutors. Less than two hours before Vick's death, Renee Devens, a bartender at Cab's Pub and Eatery, said she saw Kelly, not Evans, with a gun matching the description of the murder weapon tucked in his sock. Devens said Kelly was "acting crazy and as if he was high on drugs."

Legal experts agree that Vick's standing in the community as a decorated, 16-year police officer could affect jurors.

Evans' defense team sought to move the trial out of St. Paul because of Vick's portrayal by the news media as a fallen hero. Ramsey County District Judge Kathleen Gearin denied the request, but Malone-O'Neill said she would revisit the matter if it appears an impartial jury cannot be selected.

"All the time, the way a victim can be characterized can be helpful or harmful depending on the situation," Leunig said.

Shannon Prather can be reached at sprather@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5452.

Arguing self-defense

To claim self-defense in Minnesota, the defendant must not have been the original aggressor. The defendant must have first declined to carry on the fight and have honestly tried to escape from danger. The defendant must then meet three conditions:

1. The killing must have been done in the belief it was necessary to avert death or great bodily harm.

2. The defendant's perception of the danger must be reasonable under the circumstances.

3. The defendant's decision to use force must align with that of a reasonable person, based on the perceived danger and the lack of other alternatives.

All three conditions must be met. The prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:05 pm 
The Man

It's close, but not quite. If the original aggressor withdraws from the fight, and communicates that to the other party or parties, that ends the original transaction, and if the other party or parties chase/pursue after withdrawal, they are now the aggressor.

It also suggests that there can be only one aggressor in a fight; actually, there can, in theory, be as many aggressors as there are parties.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:37 pm 
On time out

i have heard from two police officers whom i know well that this one "stinks" as in tainted meat as in something is rotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
i have heard from two police officers whom i know well that this one "stinks" as in tainted meat as in something is rotten.

Can you expand on that a bit? The whole case? The defense?

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:18 am 
Delicate Flower

1911fan wrote:

Ditto............. and no further comment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:00 pm 
On time out

I will not go further than to say they both feel that the publics information does not add up. that this feels rotten. Do they have first hand knowledge? i have no idea, are they "insiders"? one is a SP cop the other a RCS and that is all they said. both gave me the indication that something was "off"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:26 am 
Forum Moderator

For a cop-killing, the media has been working the "but it's not cut and dry for the prosecution" angle pretty hard; more so than they would seem to do when a cop is involved in a line-of-duty shooting, when they seem to be more inclined to question the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:33 pm 

Quote:
the prosecution may be able to ask him (Evans) about his 1991 conviction for attempted murder in Illinois.

Help me through this one...
I'd assume Evans is not able to own a gun. Therefore he does not have a carry permit. So, if he was carrying a concealed gun and say the shooting was justified, what are the consequences?

Seems to me using a gun even if justified when you are prohibited from doing so, Evans would not be able to use self defense as a defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda, but...

Self defense is a separate right -- one that you cannot be deprived of, even with due process -- than the right to carry a gun.

Evans could conceivably claim self defense, be acquitted of murder, but be convicted of unlawfully carrying a gun.

halvey wrote:
Quote:
the prosecution may be able to ask him (Evans) about his 1991 conviction for attempted murder in Illinois.

I'd assume Evans is not able to own a gun. Therefore he does not have a carry permit. So, if he was carrying a concealed gun and say the shooting was justified, what are the consequences?

Seems to me using a gun even if justified when you are prohibited from doing so, Evans would not be able to use self defense as a defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:10 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda, but...

Self defense is a separate right -- one that you cannot be deprived of, even with due process -- than the right to carry a gun.

Evans could conceivably claim self defense, be acquitted of murder, but be convicted of unlawfully carrying a gun.

halvey wrote:
Quote:

Sure. Like in the Bernie Goetz case -- the jury ruled that his self-defense (with the handgun) claim stood, but convicted him of carrying unlawfully in the first place (his implicit JuryNullification/DoctrineOfNecessity defense having failed).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:13 pm 
Wise Elder

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Maybe not. See United States v. Panter, 688 F.2d 268 (5th Cir.1982).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:41 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Slightly off topic, but germane to this case, is the column Nick Coleman wrote the other day in which he quoted testimony that Vick was "in possession of his faculties" despite a .20 alcohol level.

Let you or me make the same error in judgement and see how many liberal columnists spring to your defense.

Losing a LEO is always a tragedy, and this guy seemed like a good one, but horrendous judgmental errors.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:55 am 
Longtime Regular

IMO, if one is illegal to drive at a .10 BAC, (actually, .08 now), then one shouldn't be fulfilling the duties of anything!! Drunk on duty is just that. Why was Vick even driving a vehicle at a .20 BAC?? Is this another "do as I say, not as I do" rule that eliminates LEOS from prosecution or gives them a "free pass" to commit crimes/ violations of the law while on duty ?? These are just some questions in my mind. I know undercover work is "different", but why should a LEO be given a free pass to do things that a civilian would get arrested for?? I think there's a lot more to this story than we are being told. Kelly seems to be riding the immunity train in order to escape justice.

Just a comment, I respect most LEOs, but many of them often ignore basic traffic laws, ones that would get a civilian pulled over, at the minimum. If their disregard for basic traffic laws is so very blatant, just how deep does it REALLY run?? Lead by example!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:53 am 
The Man

KimberMan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Interesting case -- it's online at http://www.healylaw.com/cases/panter.htm , for those who are interested.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 am 

KimberMan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

If I'm reading US vs. Panter right, he got a new trial and was able to escape the unlawfully carrying a gun count even though he couldn't carry a gun?

Case is here: http://www.healylaw.com/cases/panter.htm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.