Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Prepares for Second E 
 Post subject: MnSCU Policy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:47 pm 

MnSCU does of course prohibit Students and Faculty from carrying and the individual campuses must adopt policies consistant witht the MnSCU board policy. As an earlier writer has pointed out, MnSCU drafted their restrictions to be the broadest possible under MN law. The bad news is that I think it will be difficult to get MnScu to change their policy. The good news is that if it was ever changed, it would effect all campuses in the system.
Because of the different size and locations of the campuses, I think a reasonable policy would allow the individual campuses to set their their own policies within certian parameters.
This is old news to many of you, but until I dug into this I didn't realize that vistors (non-students, non-faculity) who have a permit CAN legally carry on campus. This is because state law doesn't allow them to restrict this. But they have drafted the policy in such a way that this is well hidden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:23 am 
Poet Laureate

JesseG wrote:
One of Erwin’s bills would authorize professors at state-supported colleges and universities to carry a firearm on the campus of the college or university at which the professor is employed (SB 271) and a related bill prohibits any state-supported college or university from banning professors from carrying firearms on campus (SB 27). The professors would have to get the proper gun permits, though.

Someone tell me what makes a professor special?

JesseG wrote:
His final bill would allow students at state-supported colleges and universities to carry guns if they had the proper licenses, had no convictions, were in good standing with the university, completed a gun course approved by the college, and were participating in an ROTC military program (SB18).

:!:

Does anyone but me see the danger and misplaced logic in providing pro-victimization bureaucrats and administrators the power to determine what will be approved or vetoed in regards to yet another required "gun course"? And ROTC? You have to meet all their silly requirements (on top of having your PtoC) and participate in ROTC?

"Why certainly sir, you may carry arms, but to do so, we require the following: pay your entire tuition in advance, attend 700 hours worth of firearms training offered only by our one "approved" instructor (who holds one course of only 5 students per year), and to be in good standing with the university is now defined as: never having been suspened from school through grades K-12, never received a grade less than B+, never having voted Republican..."

:evil:

However, having written all of this, I'm sure poor Mr. Erwin's heart is in the right place; there's no doubt that we certainly can (and do) do worse for legislators...

His proposal just needs to be refined a little IMHO.

Post subject: Re: MnSCU Policy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:02 am 
Journeyman Member

Sartellcarry wrote:
This is old news to many of you, but until I dug into this I didn't realize that vistors (non-students, non-faculity) who have a permit CAN legally carry on campus. This is because state law doesn't allow them to restrict this. But they have drafted the policy in such a way that this is well hidden.

Students can also carry on campus legally. However, carrying would be against school policy. School policy is not law.

Post subject: Re: MnSCU Policy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 am 

teamgreen02 wrote:
Sartellcarry wrote:

Students can also carry on campus legally. However, carrying would be against school policy. School policy is not law.

School Policy is not law but if you were discovered carrying against their policy I'm willing to bet that you would not be allowed to be a student in their system anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

SCCC broke 20,000 members today!

So far I have 3 people needing a holster loan in April.

There is an interesting blog out on this from a very interesting person. I'll just post the link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Woops, I totally posted the wrong blog. Obama's religion has nothing to do with carry on campus. Don't I feel like an idiot. Alright, here is the proper link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Do we need to all scour our holster drawers for holsters to lend or donate to the empty holster day?

I imagine that there will be a number of sympathetic people who simply don't own one to wear.

I finally got a close count. I'm short about 10 holsters to my knowledge. Anyone willing to help out? Borrowed holsters will certainly be returned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have 3 you can borrow. They're small, OWB, and black but they should do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Do we need to all scour our holster drawers for holsters to lend or donate to the empty holster day?

I imagine that there will be a number of sympathetic people who simply don't own one to wear.

I finally got a close count. I'm short about 10 holsters to my knowledge. Anyone willing to help out? Borrowed holsters will certainly be returned.

When and where is this empty holster day again? If it's in the metro, chances are good I could come in person, and bring some military-style flap holsters.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:50 pm 
Delicate Flower

yup..............several to loan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have some for loan.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Me too. Anyone able to pick them up at tomorrow morning's breakfast at Jack's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm in the cities for this weekend. I'll just pop my cell number out there.

763-647-9285.

If anyone that's willing can give me a call I'll try to arrange to pickup any holsters.

The protest is one week long happening all over the nation. I would imagine some are protesting in the cities as well. Concealedcampus.org has more information.

Thank you all for the support!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.