Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 My 1st Defensive Use Tonight, hopefully my last (Skyway) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:00 pm 

Ruffelo,

Does your girlfriend carry? I think this is one of those incidents that could change a person's mind about personal defense.

Good job.

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good job! Was the guy trying to rob you? You'll never know for sure but it does sound like he was up to no good.

You have to trust your instincts, those "tingly" feelings that tell you something is wrong but are hard to describe in a forum post.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Very similar to mine, in the uptown Rainbow parking lot:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6764

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

If find it strange the guy would yell "Hey Wait!"

Now say you did take your gun out and point it at him just for saying "Hey Wait"

He might of been able to turn the tables on you and get you in hot water.
With no other witnesses you might of been up the creek.

Luckily you did the correct thing. Thou I would of waited for the police

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:37 pm 

thanks for the post Joelr...many solid point in there...many solid points period...it's great to discuss this stuff on here versus after the fact...hopefully we all can handle the situations correctly and safely, as the Original Poster did...great discussion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:52 pm 
The Man

Yup. A few quick hits on this:

Situational awareness is, unsurprisingly, the key. The earlier you're aware that there might be a problem, the more options you have.

A little useful action taken early is a lot better than more dramatic stuff done later. That's one of the reasons I'm so fond of pocket holsters -- with the right body language, the reach for the gun communicates "Let's not have problems today" just about as well as the sweep and acquire, and doesn't have the potential downside.

Focus, focus, focus. If the best thing to do is be a good observer, do that. If you can't both take detailed mental notes and issue strong verbal and nonverbal commands at the same time (I can't, reliably), decide quickly which is more important. If you need your hands free and there's groceries in one or both of them, groceries can be replaced.

Call the police. Win the "race to the courthouse," if you can.

Make safe mistakes. Being rude to somebody who isn't actually endangering you by shouting at them to keep their distance is unfortunate, but that's all it is. Offending a perfectly decent but scary-looking person by taking the next elevator is unfortunate, but that's all it is. Taking a few extra turns in case you think that the idiot who cut you off and was tailgaiting you might still be following just wastes a little bit of time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:52 pm 
Wise Elder

johnnyg08 wrote:
I'm on the permit holder's team here, but sometimes a person can walk the line of paranoid verus prepared...thoughts?

Go read this. In fact, read both parts.
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... y+language

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm 

kimberman wrote:
johnnyg08 wrote:
I'm on the permit holder's team here, but sometimes a person can walk the line of paranoid verus prepared...thoughts?

I get "The topic or post you requested does not exist".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 pm 
The Man

Sixstring wrote:
kimberman wrote:
johnnyg08 wrote:

I get "The topic or post you requested does not exist".
It does, but it's in "Instructor Discussions," a subforum limited to folks who are certified instructors.

Site owner hat on: I request -- that's with an r, not the d for demand -- that the poster move or (better) copy the post to a less private area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm 

kimberman wrote:
johnnyg08 wrote:

I get the same message as the above post Kimberman...was that your intent? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm 

that would be good...I'm curious to read it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Make safe mistakes. Being rude to somebody who isn't actually endangering you by shouting at them to keep their distance is unfortunate, but that's all it is. Offending a perfectly decent but scary-looking person by taking the next elevator is unfortunate, but that's all it is. Taking a few extra turns in case you think that the idiot who cut you off and was tailgaiting you might still be following just wastes a little bit of time.

I just may steal that phrase and lesson from you. It may even end up as a power point slide in an AP class. (If so I will sight you as the source of course.) :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:24 pm 
The Man

Not a problem; I'm flattered, in fact.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think you did everything right, however it may have been a good idea to wait for the police just to give them a description. They may be familiar with him as a nut case or simply a panhandler that they are monitoring and this could have helped to get him off the streets.As others have said you may have still been there today waiting for them to arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
joelr wrote:

I just may steal that phrase and lesson from you. It may even end up as a power point slide in an AP class. (If so I will sight you as the source of course.) :D

Err, ditto.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.