Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 My 1st Defensive Use Tonight, hopefully my last (Skyway) 
 Post subject: Re: My 1st Defensive Use Tonight, hopefully my last (Skyway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 am 

ruffelo wrote:

So that's that. If you have any comments, criticism, suggestions, or questions, I would be happy to receive and answer them.

--Jonathan

Outstanding job!!!! heres one of my encounters

I was at a 7-11 gas station in Virginia getting some gas, a man approached me and asked for "20 bucks" I simply and politely replied "I'm sorry sir I can't help you out" he then walked away as I continued to gas my 2005 Mustang GT (he probably thought I was rich). While I was finishing up with the gas pump he comes back, this time with a knife and demanded that I give him my wallet. Natural reaction lead me to step back in a offensive posture my right hand went back to the small of my back, I grabbed onto the grips of my XD45 compact, I kinda yelled get the f*@K back, amazingly he said "what you gotta gun" he then walked towards me as if I was joking around (he was like 3 meters from me) I pulled my gun from its holster (uncle mikes, inside the waistband) and pointed it at his feet with my finger straight and off the trigger, he then said "oh sh*t" dropped his knife and ran off. I reholstered my weapon and got in my car and went home. I didn't call the cops only because they were just gonna ask me "was there any shots fired" if not then the were gonna ask me if I wanted to make a report. Virginia is a golden state for Open carry, I generally open carry all the time but this incident I was concealing. Oddly enough this happened in broad daylight with people around.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My 1st Defensive Use Tonight, hopefully my last (Skyway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 am 
Longtime Regular

ivspades wrote:
ruffelo wrote:

So that's that. If you have any comments, criticism, suggestions, or questions, I would be happy to receive and answer them.

--Jonathan

Outstanding job!!!! heres one of my encounters

I was at a 7-11 gas station in Virginia getting some gas, a man approached me and asked for "20 bucks" I simply and politely replied "I'm sorry sir I can't help you out" he then walked away as I continued to gas my 2005 Mustang GT (he probably thought I was rich). While I was finishing up with the gas pump he comes back, this time with a knife and demanded that I give him my wallet. Natural reaction lead me to step back in a offensive posture my right hand went back to the small of my back, I grabbed onto the grips of my XD45 compact, I kinda yelled get the f*@K back, amazingly he said "what you gotta gun" he then walked towards me as if I was joking around (he was like 3 meters from me) I pulled my gun from its holster (uncle mikes, inside the waistband) and pointed it at his feet with my finger straight and off the trigger, he then said "oh sh*t" dropped his knife and ran off. I reholstered my weapon and got in my car and went home. I didn't call the cops only because they were just gonna ask me "was there any shots fired" if not then the were gonna ask me if I wanted to make a report. Virginia is a golden state for Open carry, I generally open carry all the time but this incident I was concealing. Oddly enough this happened in broad daylight with people around.

I think I would have called this one in. For one thing you had some physical evidence with the perp’s finger prints on it in the form of the dropped knife. If the police did their job correctly this may have been used to catch the guy. Also you were more than likely on a video from the stores cameras. Also if the perp happened to call in a report of being threatened by a guy with a gun your story would have been the first heard by police.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Segway to conversation about "how" you carry...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 am 

I have a buddy that I meet for beverages about every two weeks - we have been discussing this post at length as it is a great "What would you do if..." scenerio. The big take-away for me is reconsidering my carry situation when I go out; often I am happy to go "smart carry" out of convenience - how well would that have worked for me in the skyway? Not sure it would have had the same impact on the bad-guy if I reached half-way into the front of my pants - it would have had to be a weapons-display, and quickly, or any element of surprise to him is lost.

Today I am sitting at the local coffee shop with an oversized rugby shirt and my XD-SC hugging my hip. I will still use the "smart-carry" when necessary but consider this thread an interesting heads-up on readiness.

Any other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Good thought, Ronin.

That's one of the reasons Smart carry is a sometimes option when absolutely necessary but strong side hip is preferrable.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Post subject: Re: Segway to conversation about "how" you carry..
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

ronin069 wrote:
Any other thoughts?

A nice little S&W J-Frame can sit in your pocket all day long. Very comfortable to wear with lose fitting pants. And walking down the street with your hand in your pocket isn't considered by most to be a threating action. And the whole time you can have a firing grip on a .38/.357.

Simple, effective, and inexpensive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.