Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Prepares for Second E 
 Post subject: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Prepares for Second E
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:53 pm 

2/7/2008 – SCCC ANNOUNCES SPRING EMPTY HOLSTER PROTEST (04/21/08-04/25/08)

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Prepares for Second Empty Holster Protest

During the week of April 21-25, 2008, thousands of college students throughout the United States, organized under the banner of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and school policies that stack the odds in favor of dangerous criminals and armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens licensed to carry concealed handguns virtually everywhere else.

SCCC hosted its first national collegiate Empty Holster Protest during the week of October 22-26, 2007, on the campuses of approximately 125 U.S. colleges and universities. This second Empty Holster Protest will expand upon the concept of the first protest by placing greater emphasis on educating the uninformed. Protesters will focus on sharing the facts of “concealed carry” with students and faculty who may not be aware that concealed carry laws exist or that those laws differ on college campuses from most other locations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Which local colleges have a chapter? What can we do to help organize them?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Which local colleges have a chapter? What can we do to help organize them?

It's not really a chapter type of thing so much as you get a campus leader and then they're on their own. Unfortunately that's not as organized as I'd like. I'm a campus leader for my school. We tack some stuff up and work a little on changing attitudes and working internally.

Unfortunately it's also a little disjointed. I know and speak with some of the other campus leaders on occasion, but coordination can be challenging.

One thing that might help, and this would be something to come to the admins, is perhaps a section of this forum where interested individuals could come to share ideas, findings, etc. Something a bit more discreet might be good, or it might not. I don't know. Other than that, I'll talk with some others up here about what could be done.

Overall, the change MUST happen in MNSCU before it can happen at the schools. MNSCU has a rule that basically taps every restriction the carry law will allow them to make and requiring all MNSCU universities to make their rules consistent with MNSCU's. That means colleges don't get a choice in the matter.

One of the guys I've talked with is working on one private school in the state that may be receptive to changing the rule. I think that is a big start. If a couple of schools can be convinced to change the rule, the lack of a falling sky could help to demonstrate that the concept isn't really all that radical and that college students aren't a bunch of drunken, drugged up idiots who are incapable of safely handling a firearm.

So, yeah. That's where we're at. Ideas are most welcome.

ETA: A list of campus leaders and their location can be found here: http://concealedcampus.org/leaders.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I just re-introduced the topic to our Student Government Association today and explained what I plan to do and what we need to do as a body. On the topic of what the SGA needs to do I explained that we need to tell MNSCU to give the individual universities that right to choose their own rules.

I also explained the empty holster protest, why we're protesting, what we hope to accomplish, etc. It was interesting. One was particularly pissed off that I would suggest such a thing, or that her three points were unfounded and based on purely hypothetical speculation. (More blood in the streets drunk stupid college students stuff. It amazes me that these people will actually suggest that they themselves are too stupid to carry a gun. :?: )

I was surprised to be asked, the obvious implication that I have no right to have any say in promoting the right to carry, whether I've ever been a victim of gun violence. Had to bite my lip for a minute to keep from asking whether he's been the victim of baseball bat violence. Entirely counter-productive.

Anyway, yes, we're having an empty holster protest in April. This one should be better advertised than the last. I wish I could see this through to the end. It's still going to be a long, uphill battle. It really has to start with education to effect any kind of truly significant policy change. Changing attitudes will take a long time, and it's going to be happening after I'm out of the university. Changing MNSCU policy is a HUGE step in the right direction, though. ANY advice on changing that is most welcome, of course. Quite frankly, you fund about 50% of college educations through MNSCU. People who are not college students should have a major say in what MNSCU does also. How we do that, I don't know yet. It still needs to happen, though. I don't think that it can only come from the students. It really needs to come from the general public as well. How? Still not positive what the right way is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 am 

i, for one, am extremely proud and encouraged by your resolve and zeal to defend your 2a right and your intent to educate others on the need to correct an unlawful and detrimental situation. God's speed to you and all now and through apr. and beyond in this effort!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Do we need to all scour our holster drawers for holsters to lend or donate to the empty holster day?

I imagine that there will be a number of sympathetic people who simply don't own one to wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:04 am 

I am the campus leader for one of the Twin Cities private universities. My main issue right now is that I am out of the state for an Army Reserve school and will return a couple of days before the protest.

As AGoodDay pointed out the SCCC is somewhat unorganized. This is mainly due to the fact that by the time a student is of legal age to obtain a carry permit they are also nearing graduation.

But in the next couple of months leading to the protest, I will be doing everything possible by email and phone call to raise a good base of students.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

But you don't have to be of legal age to support the cause or wear an empty holster.

I have a couple of fairly visible holsters I'd be willing to lend out locally.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

No, definitely don't have to be 21 or older to protest. We did have a couple of 19 and 20 year olds wearing holsters last October. Depending on how many interested individuals we get, some loaner holsters could be quite useful. I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

It'd be great if we could table on Northrup Mall over the noon hour on one or more of those days, Andrew. It'd give a place for student protesters to rally.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have two or three black holsters that are works in progress, one offs, or prototypes. I wouldn't loan them out for people to carry in but for this they'd be perfect. let me know.

Post subject: Read St Cloud Times on Monday Feb 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:32 am 

I wanted this forum to know that my monthly article in the St. Cloud Times on Monday Feb 25 will deal with campus security and the unarmed status of MNSCU campuses. Perhaps we can keep the discussion going. I added a plug for the college student carry organization but my article was a little long so it might have been edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:39 am 

Welcome to TCC. Thank you! Please provide us with a link to your article if possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 am 
First-time poster

First things first, Been reading the forum for a while and this is my first post. Never have much to say but I came across this and thought it was interesting.

The three bills proposed by Sen. Hank Erwin, R-Montevallo AL, have been sitting in the State Senate Education Committee, awaiting a hearing. He said some universities hope to keep his bills from getting out of committee and going to the Senate for a vote.

“Most university folks feel a no-gun policy is the best policy. I understand their feelings, but reality says otherwise,” Erwin said.

Erwin started working on the legislation after 32 students were killed by a gunman last April at Virginia Tech.

On Thursday, a 27-year-old former student, Stephen Kazmierczak, killed five people in a Northern Illinois classroom before turning a gun on himself.

“The shooting in Illinois is going to cause renewed interest in the bills,” Erwin said in an interview Friday.

One of Erwin’s bills would authorize professors at state-supported colleges and universities to carry a firearm on the campus of the college or university at which the professor is employed (SB 271) and a related bill prohibits any state-supported college or university from banning professors from carrying firearms on campus (SB 27). The professors would have to get the proper gun permits, though.

His final bill would allow students at state-supported colleges and universities to carry guns if they had the proper licenses, had no convictions, were in good standing with the university, completed a gun course approved by the college, and were participating in an ROTC military program (SB18).

Erwin sees his legislation more as a deterrent than a way to kill gunmen once they start firing. He said gunmen intent on mass killings go after victims least able to resist. If there were armed people on campus, a gunman might have second thoughts, he said.

“We need the deterrent of the presence of firepower in the classroom by law-abiding citizens,” he said.

Nationwide, 38 states - including Virginia - ban weapons at schools. Of those, 16 explicitly prohibit weapons on college campuses.

To learn more, read the article at Military.com.

Buy the way, This is a great forum and hello to everyone

Post subject: Links regarding campus security
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:25 pm 

New BJS Report released this week Campus Law Enforcement 2004-2005 http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cle0405.htm

Virginia Tech Report http://www.governor.virginia.gov/TempContent/techPanelReport.cfm

MnSCU Policy http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/521.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.