Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Address Change Permit update: Hennepin Co. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:

Quote:
...the law sure reads that you don't even need to get a new permit if you lose the old one, just notify the sheriff. Of course that kind of conflicts with the law that says you must have a permit on you at all times while carrying .

I don't see a conflict. You should have your permit with you, but the address on it doesn't have to be your current address.

I believe that is what the original poster was concerned about. He may not physically have the permit. Sorry to pick.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

He shouldn't have to give it up for a voluntary reissue due to an address change. Scott County tried to pull that BS on me when I wanted a reissue for a DL number change. When I told the gal I didn't want to do that because I wanted to keep the permit with me to reduce the chance of being hassled if found in possession of a gun by a LEO, she seemed surprise and said, "Do you really need to carry for the next week or so? Most guys tell me that they never carry, they just want the permit"

She was nice enough about it, though naive. Finally we compromised by agreeing that I would send in just the app, then I would come down to pick it up when it was ready so I could turn in my old permit. Heaven forbid THAT were to get loose!!! It still involved a trip to Shakopee that should haven't been necessary, but at least I got it right away and didn't have to deal with a "temporary permit". I've never even heard of one of those. If they're not recognized state-wide, then it's not any better than going without a permit because a LEO would still have to go through all the motions to verify, and unless I recall incorrectly, the carry law does not mention a temporary permit so you can still be harassed as if you didn't have a permit, which you wouldn't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Got an email back finally from hennepin county regarding my address change. Seems their stance has changed a bit. They still recommend getting a new permit, for no other reason than to avoid problems. The only problem I can see is when the officer doesn't know the law when he/she stops you.

Quote:
Your email was received and the change has been made in the database. Your question regarding avoiding future issues is exactly why we strongly recommend that permit holders avoid problems by getting their new addresses placed on their permits. That would be accomplished by either bringing your old permit in and applying for a change of address, the cost is $10, or by mailing us your old permit along with the front page of the application form, a copy of your photo ID with your new address on it and a check made out to "HCSO" for $10. That way, if you are stopped by law enforcement, you will have everything in order and matching addresses and avoid any potential problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, it was polite and well worded. I wonder how they would respond to a question regarding:

Quote:
Subd. 1b. Display of permit; penalty. (a) The holder of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate ossession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

You know, since they're trying to keep you from having any misunderstandings and all :-) I mean, an address change might be easier for an officer to verify than the absence of a permit, right?

Yeah, I know the next section says it's a bring it in and show us and we'll dismiss the ticket type offense...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Well, it was polite and well worded. I wonder how they would respond to a question regarding:

Quote:
Subd. 1b. Display of permit; penalty. (a) The holder of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate ossession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

You know, since they're trying to keep you from having any misunderstandings and all :-) I mean, an address change might be easier for an officer to verify than the absence of a permit, right?

Yeah, I know the next section says it's a bring it in and show us and we'll dismiss the ticket type offense...

Heh, funny you mention that. That is the exact thing I emailed them a question about this morning. Told them last time it took 28 days to get my permit, and I'd prefer to avoid going without for 28 days just to get an updated permit with a matching address.

We'll see what they come up with I guess. More than just to prove a point, I really want to know what the truth is for my own benefit, but it is also interesting to see how law enforcement matches up with the law.

*edit to add* The email came back from this address, which is slightly different than the more general address you find on the Sheriff's website.

So give this one a whirl if you have questions:

sheriff.gunpermit@co.hennepin.mn.us

I first emailed to this address, which apparently somebody goes through and forwards emails to correct departments:

sheriff@co.hennepin.mn.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

The sage continues, got an email back about the 2nd round of questions:

Quote:
If you apply by mail then there will be gap between when you send us your card and when we get it back to you, approx. two weeks. During that time you would not be allowed to carry as the law is quite clear in our reading of it that you are required to have the permit and photo ID with you anytime you are carrying.

If you apply in person for the change of address then we will give you a temporary card to carry while you wait for your new card to arrive in the mail.

I've also talked to the lady here that handles the curio and relic licenses and she tells me that you will need to supply the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office with a copy of your federal application for your license as we cannot transfer the Ramsey license that you currently hold. Your notice of intent to obtain a license is just a notice and you will need to actually supply us with a copy of the paperwork in order to officially notify Hennepin County.

So now Hennepin Co. requires more than the ATF does on C&R notification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

LMAO. Well at least on the C&R you have a folder full of unsigned copies and can easily give them a signed original.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
LMAO. Well at least on the C&R you have a folder full of unsigned copies and can easily give them a signed original.

True, but they want the application for the license, not the license itself apparently. I emailed them back and said the truth. I mailed the application for an amended license off right after I wrote the email to the Hennepin County Sheriff's office.

Now its either fill out another application, which isn't an exact copy obviously. Or we can try to get a copy out of the ATF, but I don't see that as likely.

Wasn't trying to dick around, but thats what happened, I'll keep updating if I hear more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:33 pm 

The official line:

http://www.hennepinsheriff.org/investigativeservices/handgun.asp

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.