Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 MN: Man pulls a gun on errant driver at Silver Lake playgrou 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:30 pm 

I think I would be content to let this guy plow his car into anything but me or another bystander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 pm 

Dave,
Glad to hear you would pull your gun after some little kid was run over. I have a feeling though that most defense situations are as ambiguous as this one(judging by what board members have reported here) and if you wait for all ambiguity to vanish then the bad stuff will have already happened. Here is a link to the rest of the story at The Post-Bulletin. Note the comments are now heavily in our guy's favor.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=351110

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, so much for being a hero. Being recognized for doing the "right thing" must be a really great feeling.

news report wrote:
Rose was arraigned in Olmsted District Court earlier this week on a gross misdemeanor charge of dangerous weapons -- intentionally pointing a gun. He has a permit to carry a weapon and told officers he thought the car had struck someone and that he was just trying to help.

news report wrote:
...He has a permit to carry a weapon and told officers he thought the car had struck someone and that he was just trying to help.

USLegal wrote:
Deadly force is generally defined as physical force which, under the circumstances in which it is used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury. In order for deadly force to be justified there must be an immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to yourself or other innocents. Deadly force is that force which could reasonably be expected to cause death or grave bodily harm.

The use of force is generally illegal unless it fits within the strict requirements of one of the four legal justifications. They are: self-defense, defense of a third person, crime prevention, and law enforcement. Each of these areas has specific requirements that must be met to avoid criminal liability. You may only use the amount of force that is reasonable and necessary in the situation.. This is judged by what a reasonable person would have done under the circumstances. In a self-defense situation, it is only when the aggressor uses or attempts to use deadly force that you have the right to respond with deadly force. Laws vary by state, so local law should be consulted for the applicable requirements in your area.
http://definitions.uslegal.com/u/use-of-deadly-force/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good data & thanks for sharing. Two guys, knife & pipe?? My .45 would be short four rounds.

1911fan wrote:
I can clearly see a point where actually pointing is necessary. I have used it, with out firing, to inform the person that I was "that" close to punching their ticket. In one of our buildings, two punks with a pipe and a knife, stepped out demanding that I "donate" the months rent collections to their personal use. It was not until I lit the one up with the CT grips' laser did he back away. The other had wisely decided(in his own words) "its ain'ts worths this sh**" and had walked out the door.

Likewise a man in a car trying to flee after what you believed/witnessed to be a car/person or car to car incident with injuries WHERE the only escape route would be filled with people. Sometimes getting someones attention means "hey buddy, you move you die..." This is not citizen as cop, this is citizen as intercessor in a violent event .

If this had been a shooting and the citizen arrived at a natural break, lets say the BG shooter was reloading, calling out, "drop the gun or ...." while pointing the gun at the shooter would be completely legit. Shooting the shooter in the midst of a reload MIGHT not go down well, yelling and pointing and letting the shooter/driver decide to give up or get shot is a much more defensible position.

(Do we know for a fact that he actually AIMED the gun at the guy? or did he just present the weapon in such a fashion that he was ready if needed to prevent the guy from leaving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:58 pm 

Jeez, Suited, I'm not a junior G-Man after all...

Edited to add:

Quote:
Near F. Kouath, 24, 5024 25th Ave. N.W., is charged with a misdemeanor of reckless driving for allegedly driving with "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." He is to appear in Olmsted District Court on July 29.

And for this I should use my handgun to threaten someone's life?

What if I produce my handgun and he decides he's not interested?

What has to happen for me to shoot him? Should I kill this guy for what would otherwise be a misdemeanor offense (as charged), even if it is for the childrens?

Please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:41 am 
Longtime Regular

+1

Dave Pendleton wrote:

Edited to add:

Quote:
Near F. Kouath, 24, 5024 25th Ave. N.W., is charged with a misdemeanor of reckless driving for allegedly driving with "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." He is to appear in Olmsted District Court on July 29.

What has to happen for me to shoot him? Should I kill this guy for what would otherwise be a misdemeanor offense (as charged), even if it is for the childrens?

Please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 am 
The Man

Dave Pendleton wrote:

Edited to add:

Quote:

Please.
I'm with you except for the last. Assuming -- and it's just an assumption; I don't think it's the case -- it was reasonable and lawful to threaten the guy to keep him there for the cops, if he tries to leave, the obvious (and reasonable) thing to do is, well, not shoot him. If you take your gun out to threaten somebody in order to effect a citizens arrest (and, again, I'm advocating against that in almost any conceivable circumstance), you're not legally or morally obligated to actually, well, shoot him if he calls your bluff.

The more I hear about this one, the more it sounds to me like a situation where the use of a cell phone was the right thing to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:58 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
The more I hear about this one, the more it sounds to me like a situation where the use of a cell phone was the right thing to do.

I think that statement is true in about 99.99% of the cases most of us encounter.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 am 
The Man

jac714 wrote:
joelr wrote:

I think that statement is true in about 99.99% of the cases most of us encounter.
Yup. There's lots more speed dialing problems in the world than shooting problems.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: No license for Kouath in June of this year
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 am 

Register Of ActionsCase No. 55-CR-08-5027State of Minnesota vs Near F. Kouath §
§
§
§
§
Case Type: Crim/Traf Mandatory
Date Filed: 05/21/2008

Party Information Lead Attorneys
Defendant Kouath, Near F.
Rochester, MN 55901

Jurisdiction State of Minnesota

Charge InformationCharges: Kouath, Near F. Statute Level Date
1. Traffic Regulation-Uninsured Vehicle-Owner Violation 169.797.2 Misdemeanor 05/19/2008
2. Drivers License-Driving Without a Valid License or Vehicle Class/Type; Multiple Licenses Prohibited 171.02.1 Misdemeanor 05/19/2008
Events & Orders of the Court DISPOSITIONS
06/11/2008 Plea (Judicial Officer: Lund, Kevin A.)

1. Traffic Regulation-Uninsured Vehicle-Owner Violation
Guilty
2. Drivers License-Driving Without a Valid License or Vehicle Class/Type; Multiple Licenses Prohibited
Guilty
06/11/2008 Disposition (Judicial Officer: Lund, Kevin A.)

Adjudication withheld
2. Drivers License-Driving Without a Valid License or Vehicle Class/Type; Multiple Licenses Prohibited
Adjudication withheld
06/11/2008 Continued (Judicial Officer: Lund, Kevin A.)

Probation - Adult:
Type: Probation to the Court
Agency: Olmsted District Court
Term of 1 Yr
06/11/2008 - 06/11/2009

Condition - Adult:
1. No driver license violations, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008
2. No driving without insurance, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008
3. No moving violations, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008

Fees - Adult: (Grand Total: $200.00)
Due 04/01/2009
Fine: $0.00
Fees: (Fees Total: $200.00)
Additional Court Costs: $200.00
Comment: pay at the rate of $20.00 each month beginning July 1, 2008.

Probation - Adult:
Type: Probation to the Court
Agency: Olmsted District Court
Term of 1 Yr
06/11/2008 - 06/11/2009

Condition - Adult:
1. No driver license violations, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008
2. No driving without insurance, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008
3. No moving violations, 06/11/2008, Active 06/11/2008

Fees - Adult: (Grand Total: $200.00)
Due 04/01/2009
Fine: $0.00
Fees: (Fees Total: $200.00)
Additional Court Costs: $200.00
Comment: pay at the rate of $20.00 each month beginning July 1, 2008.

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
06/11/2008 Arraignment (1:00 PM) (Judicial Officer Lund, Kevin A.) Result: Held
Financial Information
Defendant Kouath, Near F.
Total Financial Assessment 200.00
Total Payments and Credits 200.00
Balance Due as of 07/11/2008 0.00

06/11/2008 Transaction Assessment 200.00
06/11/2008 Counter Payment Receipt # 0055-2008-012660 Kouath, Near F. (200.00)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:13 am 

This lists his arraignment for 7/29/08, however Reckless driving is a misdemeanor, not a petty?

Register Of ActionsCase No. 55-CR-08-6617State of Minnesota vs Near F Kouath §
§
§
§
§
Case Type: Crim/Traf Mandatory
Date Filed: 07/08/2008

Party Information Lead Attorneys
Defendant Kouath, Near F
Rochester, MN 55901

Jurisdiction State of Minnesota

Charge InformationCharges: Kouath, Near F Statute Level Date
1. Traffic - Reckless driving; Drives with willful or wanton disregard for safety 169.13.1(a) Petty Misdemeanor 07/04/2008
Events & Orders of the Court OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
07/29/2008 Arraignment (1:00 PM) (Judicial Officer Williamson, Jodi L.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 am 
On time out

I was under the impression that careless driving, was a petty, and reckless was a gross misdemeanor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

motoman wrote:
Charge InformationCharges: Kouath, Near F Statute Level Date
1. Traffic - Reckless driving; Drives with willful or wanton disregard for safety 169.13.1(a) Petty Misdemeanor 07/04/2008

Weird.

Quote:
169.13 RECKLESS OR CARELESS DRIVING.
Subdivision 1. Reckless driving. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as
to indicate either a willful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of
reckless driving and such reckless driving is a misdemeanor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Dave Pendleton wrote:

Edited to add:

Quote:

Please.
I'm with you except for the last. Assuming -- and it's just an assumption; I don't think it's the case -- it was reasonable and lawful to threaten the guy to keep him there for the cops, if he tries to leave, the obvious (and reasonable) thing to do is, well, not shoot him. If you take your gun out to threaten somebody in order to effect a citizens arrest (and, again, I'm advocating against that in almost any conceivable circumstance), you're not legally or morally obligated to actually, well, shoot him if he calls your bluff.

So if you believe Rose's account of what happened, you guys would have him call the cops on his cell phone even if you thought someone was hit and may be run over again? Maybe I am reading the story wrong, as I do not know what actually happened. If I thought someone was run over and possibly dying I might have done the same as Rose.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:14 pm 
The Man

jaysong wrote:
joelr wrote:
Dave Pendleton wrote:

Edited to add:

Quote:

Please.

So if you believe Rose's account of what happened, you guys would have him call the cops on his cell phone even if you thought someone was hit and may be run over again? Maybe I am reading the story wrong, as I do not know what actually happened. If I thought someone was run over and possibly dying I might have done the same as Rose.
If I think somebody even might have been run over, the first thing I want to do is get the pros on it. All I got is First Aid and ancient CPR training; I'm not an EMT, much less ER MD, and while I've usually got a first aid kit reasonably handy, if I'm stuck directly handling somebody who has been run over, keeping them immobilized and keeping the airway open is about the limit of what I'm comfortable with. Doing that while trying to hold a crazy driver at gunpoint? Huh?

(I think Rose is telling a very good -- and possibly even honest -- story, but I doubt it'll go well for him. "So, Mr. Rose, you thought you saw the victim [that's what the prosecutor is going to call him] hit somebody with his car before he slammed into a tree, and instead of going over to assist the injured person that you claim that you thought that you saw, you whipped out our gun and went to confront the victim? Just who is it that you think you're going to fool? Withdrawn, Your Honor.")

And, as I go over in every class, folks' perceptions are not always accurate; consider the Patton story.

Even if I'm sure -- and even if I'm right -- that somebody is dying, arresting the perp at gunpoint isn't something I'm volunteering to do.

Now, if I think there's somebody in the area who is "about to put the car in reverse and 'go nuts'", I'm not at all sure how waving a gun at him is supposed to calm him down.

And, if it doesn't, what then?

Other folks get to do what they want; me, I'm going to get solid, extremely expendable things -- trees, say, or Ken Jones or Jeremy Poole -- between the guy who I think is about to "go nuts" and me and my family, and then get on the phone to 911.

If society would like me to be more aggressive, I'll take a guarantee of legal immunity from both civil and criminal prosecution, body armor, and a paycheck . . . and then I'll think about it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.