Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 MN: Man pulls a gun on errant driver at Silver Lake playgrou 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
I wonder however if a case could be made that he feared for his life. A car can be a deadly weapon.

Doesn't have to be his life. I could easily see that he had a legitimate fear that the bozo driving the car presented an immediate threat to everyone in the area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:27 pm 

We don't do ourselves any favors by immediately siding with the antis whenever one of us pulls our weapon. Lets wait for more info before judging.

If he acted to protect children in the area, per one witness quoted, then his arrest is the problem here. If permit holders can't even expect the benefit of the doubt on this forum then where can we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's dangerous thinking. Even thou you weren't involved, your carry permit was. If the guy has one--

The press & anti's can use this case to change others minds about our state issuing permits.

It's a big PR game, Just the way it is.

If the guy has a permit, and he is found gulity of some crime, it's more fuel for the anti's.

Maybe nothing will happen, who knows.

But all of us should be concerned

gunflint wrote:
I'm not going to duck and run for cover every time some moron with a permit (this is assuming the actor in question is a permit holder) does something stupid. This is not a black eye for me nor is it a serious blow. I didn't do a damn thing.

If this is a permit holder by all means take it away (the permit) and make sure he never gets one again. I wonder however if a case could be made that he feared for his life. A car can be a deadly weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
That's dangerous thinking. Even thou you weren't involved, your carry permit was. If the guy has one--

The press & anti's can use this case to change others minds about our state issuing permits.

It's a big PR game, Just the way it is.

If the guy has a permit, and he is found gulity of some crime, it's more fuel for the anti's.

Maybe nothing will happen, who knows.

But all of us should be concerned

gunflint wrote:
I'm not going to duck and run for cover every time some moron with a permit (this is assuming the actor in question is a permit holder) does something stupid. This is not a black eye for me nor is it a serious blow. I didn't do a damn thing.

+1 JimC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 pm 

If a justifiable use of force or even someone's mistake costs us our gun rights then we never had them in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:54 pm 

A little more info...

http://kroc.com/kroc_am/index.html

07/05/2008 - TWO ARRESTS FOR GUN INCIDENTS AT ROCHESTER FOURTH OF JULY CELEBRATION
Andy Brownell KROC-AM NEWS
Rochester Police made a couple arrests for gun related incidents last night as people gathered for the annual fireworks show at Silver Lake Park. The first occurred around 7pm when a motorist spun out his car and struck a tree near the corner of 7th street and East Silver Lake Drive. The driver, who was not intoxicated, was attempting to back away from the tree when a citizen with a permit to carry a concealed weapon pulled out his gun and ordered the motorist to stay put. When officers arrived, they arrested the man with the gun on a felony assault charge. Later in the night, officers arrested a 19-year-old gang member after he was caught with a 22-caliber handgun in the waistband of his pants. The officers, who were on alert because of reports of a potential confrontation involving rival gangs, became suspicious after noticing the man and his companions dressed in heavy blue clothing on a warm summer night. The 19-year-old was subjected to a pat down when the officers saw him try to conceal an object under his coat. The arrest occurred around 10:30 in the vicinity of the Silver Lake skate park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:04 pm 
Delicate Flower

Class .......repeat after me:

"We are not Law Enforcement"

:roll: :roll:

Quote:
The driver, who was not intoxicated, was attempting to back away from the tree when a citizen with a permit to carry a concealed weapon pulled out his gun and ordered the motorist to stay put.

At least it wasn't a Permit to Carry a Pistol :?

Last edited by ttousi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:06 pm 

It appears there was absolutely nothing 'justifiable' about what this guy did, not even close to justifiable.

Quote:
We don't do ourselves any favors by immediately siding with the antis whenever one of us pulls our weapon. Lets wait for more info before judging.

It's not about siding with the "anti's" on anything. Personally, I was simply trying to look at the situation with some 'common sense' from a 'reasonable' perspective - with a little bit of statute info thrown in. It's precisely how one will be judged by a jury of our peers after the fact.

Quote:

Whether something like this bothers you or not is a matter of personal perspective, I guess. Personally, I feel somewhat angry when something like this happens and think it gives all responsible permit holders a black eye. As stated before, this is exactly the kind of thing the general public is afraid of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I didn't say that the incident didn't bother me What I meant was that I refuse to worry about what the anti's are going to think or how they're going to react after these very rare incidents involving a permit holder.

As a fisherman I don't own another fisherman's behavior for keep over his limit of fish, Nor do I concern myself as a driver because some body gets a DWI. If you are that concerned over these incidents then by all means take the offensive. Demand that his permit is revoked. Insist that he be prosecuted. Do so as a permit holder and show the public that we are not going to stand by and except this kind of behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Post Bulletin wrote:
...the driver ran off the road, knocked down a fiber-optic pole, drove around a tree and then ran into another tree near the entrance to the park.

KROC wrote:
...a motorist spun out his car and struck a tree near the corner of 7th street and East Silver Lake Drive. The driver, who was not intoxicated, was attempting to back away from the tree when a citizen with a permit to carry a concealed weapon pulled out his gun and ordered the motorist to stay put.

Uh-huh. So KROC has full access to instant BAC/drug tests?

Given the disparity between the stories, I don't trust either one.

I am quite disappointed to see so many people jumping all over the alleged permit holder. Why not wait and see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have to agree with Andrew, we simply don't have enough info to throw this guy under the bus. The Rochester media has been less than stellar in their past reporting and they are very biased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 pm 

Point taken. I just don't foresee this having a happy ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 am 
Journeyman Member

If the gunman kept his mouth shut after the cops arrived and he lets his lawyer do the talking everything should be ok.

If he told the cops he arrested a drunk driver he may be in trouble.

If he told the cops that he feared for the lives of the children in the park as the driver tried to back away from the tree and that was a reasonable fear he may be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 am 
Longtime Regular

WAKE UP!!

A near majority of people in our government do not believe we have gun rights!!

Look at the 5-4 Supreme Court Case!

Suited wrote:
If a justifiable use of force or even someone's mistake costs us our gun rights then we never had them in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:37 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Post Bulletin wrote:
...the driver ran off the road, knocked down a fiber-optic pole, drove around a tree and then ran into another tree near the entrance to the park.

KROC wrote:
...a motorist spun out his car and struck a tree near the corner of 7th street and East Silver Lake Drive. The driver, who was not intoxicated, was attempting to back away from the tree when a citizen with a permit to carry a concealed weapon pulled out his gun and ordered the motorist to stay put.

Uh-huh. So KROC has full access to instant BAC/drug tests?

Given the disparity between the stories, I don't trust either one.

I am quite disappointed to see so many people jumping all over the alleged permit holder. Why not wait and see?
I dunno. Sure, if the facts are very different than what's presented, or if there's additional relevant facts, the guy could have done just the right thing, but . . .

Assuming -- and it's just an assumption; I'm not on the guy's jury, or setting bail, or anything of the sort -- that the story is accurate, and reasonably complete, it sounds like the permit holder acted very foolishly, and -- at a minimum -- risked a serious felony charge without a damned good reason.

I'm not saying that it's never right for a civilian to hold somebody at gunpoint, but I am saying that it can easily be a mistake, and -- as a matter of first impression -- this sounds like one.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.