Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I was stopped while carrying. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am 

I almost had a chance to test this yesterday. I was riding my wife's scooter down Hwy 100, going way too fast. It's a 200cc Italian scooter which means it has spotty electrics but is fast as hell. It will easily top 85 mph and even 90 if the wind is right. The wind happened to be right yesterday and I zipped through a slug of traffic at about 90. Just as I got to the front of the pack I saw an unmarked HP sitting on an on ramp at 42 Avenue and he tagged me with laser. I thought I was in deep trouble, but I'd started to slow down as soon as I saw the car and wasn't sure he'd got me. He pulled out and followed me (at 55 mph) all the way to 394. I don't know why he didn't pull me over because with laser if he knew I was speeding, he knew dang well how fast I was going, and since he followed me he knew I was speeding. But the lights never came on. The only thing I can think of is that he just didn't believe a little motor scooter could be hauling 90 mph down the freeway.

After that I kept my speeds under 70, the speed of traffic.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have been pulled over two times in the last three months for speeding

(gotta start slowing down) :oops:

Each time I told the LEO that I was carrying a handgun and asked them how they wanted me to proceed. Both times, they asked if I had a permit. I answered yes, I did. They then asked for my driver’s license and registration and went back to their car. A few minutes later, each gave me my stuff back and let me go with a warning.

Nether one asked to see my carry permit. :lol:

I admit that I have a radar detector and do drive a little fast on the major highways. :oops:

Note to myself: Slow down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

How well does your radar detector work? I've gone riding with our local PD, and the county deputies. Both keep their radar off unless they see someone they want to track, then hit the button. By then the radar detector isn't useful. I was considering getting one till I saw how they operate in my neck of the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well….The first time I was stopped, the detector started notifying me, just as I saw the Deputy Sheriff’s squad car in front of me. He must have done as you explained. He seemed quite amused and asked, “What is that on your windshield?” He was pointing the radar detector.

The second time I was driving the wife’s car and did not have one.

I do a lot of driving around town. I’m convinced that the detector has saved me from at least five tickets that I know of. When it goes off, its time to slow down. I can’t count the times when, it was just in time.

Apparently, it gets scattered signals from other cars that are “hit”. I know that if it pings a laser signal, it is going to be too late. I have turned off this notification because the only place it was picking up laser was at the airport. Do not know why.

Anyway, it has been a good investment for me.

Note to me: Slow down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:50 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

If you have any questions about radar detectors, just ask me... A radar detector is not protection for all situations.

Instant-On can be a problem... BUT, (some/most?) radar detectors signal you differently for instant on. So, if you are driving down the road and the detector only goes nutz for a second and stops, you probably have instant on around you and you should slow down.

Radar waves scatter like crazy, so it is possible to detect radar from a mile away.

Laser is a direct beam and consider yourself lucky if you detect it before they are aiming at you. It is possible, but you cannot count on it. I've had at least 1 time I detected it before they were on me. I think that's why they try to sit up higher (under bridges) and off to the side. If the police are up higher then the road (overpass), forget detecting it early.

I had to add this: Just because you see a cop car, does NOT mean your radar detector should be going off! "ahh, I saw a cop and the radar detector didn't go off" They still have to have their radar ON!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.