Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 A Cautionary tale regarding rental housing 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
Try for an FHA Mortgage, you may find you can get in for as little as $1000.00 down.

Ask a reputable lender and see if you can be prequalified for a loan amount before you start looking, so you know what your range is.

My $.02

Talk to a reputable lender. You can get in for -0- down, even today. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:24 am 

Lady Glock wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

I'll offer another viewpoint, as I was recently in a similar position. $900 in rent is equilivalent to a much higher monthly payment on a house. I'd estimate $900 in rent is like $1,200/month on a house mortgage. Make absolutely sure you factor in the tax benefits. Any interest you pay to that mortgage is tax deductible, because it is interest paid on Real Estate. So you can pay a lot more per month on a house than you can renting, and it equals out after taxes if you file correctly.

That was a big selling point back in my loan officer days, and frankly it is true. Those numbers are vague estimates, but I don't think they are off by much if any.

An alternative point. What happens to you if you lose your job while you are renting? How long does your landlord let you miss rent payments? I'd wager you'd be kicked out of your apartment way sooner than a bank would foreclose on your house.

Especially right now, the last thing a bank wants is to foreclose on a house, that is worth WAY WAY less than it was when the mortgage was taken out on it. Meaning if a bank forecloses, 90% of the time the bank is gauranteed to lose money.

Either way, I'd argue you are safer in a house, than an apartment if you lose or quit your job. You can borrow against whatever equity you might have in the house to get you through tough times.

The short version is: Now is an amazing time to buy a house, and rent isn't going down at all, the way house values have. So lean toward a house in my opinion!

Except...I have NO savings for the closing costs or a down payment. I haven't been in my current job for a year (I moved here in October last year and got this job in February). I really don't think I would qualify...and I don't want to get into something that I can't truly afford. I'm not sure how home buying works...but I try to be true to my word. If I sign on the dotted line, I want to make sure I can follow through!

You can negotiate to have the seller pay the closing costs. I'd come up with an offer, add about $7k to that for closing costs and make sure your realtor includes that in the purchase agreement. Basically, you're financing the closing costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 am 

Lady Glock wrote:
nmat wrote:

...As for areas to live...I'm hoping to find something in the spring lake park, coon rapids, blaine area. I'm trying to keep from having to relocate the kids to new schools...

My family and I live in Champlin. If you need help moving, we are pretty close and I have a trailer. Keep us informed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:35 pm 

Rand McNally wrote:
Lady Glock wrote:

...As for areas to live...I'm hoping to find something in the spring lake park, coon rapids, blaine area. I'm trying to keep from having to relocate the kids to new schools...

My family and I live in Champlin. If you need help moving, we are pretty close and I have a trailer. Keep us informed...
Thank you! That is so kind of you.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated as to what I hear and what is going to happen.

I'm so happy I found this site...everyone here is wonderful!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Blackriv73 wrote:
Lady Glock wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

I'll offer another viewpoint, as I was recently in a similar position. $900 in rent is equilivalent to a much higher monthly payment on a house. I'd estimate $900 in rent is like $1,200/month on a house mortgage. Make absolutely sure you factor in the tax benefits. Any interest you pay to that mortgage is tax deductible, because it is interest paid on Real Estate. So you can pay a lot more per month on a house than you can renting, and it equals out after taxes if you file correctly.

That was a big selling point back in my loan officer days, and frankly it is true. Those numbers are vague estimates, but I don't think they are off by much if any.

An alternative point. What happens to you if you lose your job while you are renting? How long does your landlord let you miss rent payments? I'd wager you'd be kicked out of your apartment way sooner than a bank would foreclose on your house.

Especially right now, the last thing a bank wants is to foreclose on a house, that is worth WAY WAY less than it was when the mortgage was taken out on it. Meaning if a bank forecloses, 90% of the time the bank is gauranteed to lose money.

Either way, I'd argue you are safer in a house, than an apartment if you lose or quit your job. You can borrow against whatever equity you might have in the house to get you through tough times.

The short version is: Now is an amazing time to buy a house, and rent isn't going down at all, the way house values have. So lean toward a house in my opinion!

Except...I have NO savings for the closing costs or a down payment. I haven't been in my current job for a year (I moved here in October last year and got this job in February). I really don't think I would qualify...and I don't want to get into something that I can't truly afford. I'm not sure how home buying works...but I try to be true to my word. If I sign on the dotted line, I want to make sure I can follow through!

You can negotiate to have the seller pay the closing costs. I'd come up with an offer, add about $7k to that for closing costs and make sure your realtor includes that in the purchase agreement. Basically, you're financing the closing costs.

Unlikely in this market. Real Estate Appraisers have found the light (The ones who, in the past "Rubber Stamped" the sales price (value).

They are mostly gone, some in jail and a few are still around, but being a bit more careful.

Lenders/Reviewers/Underwriters/Secondary Market Analysis are actually reviewing appraisal, now, can you believe it? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:05 am 

JDR wrote:
Blackriv73 wrote:
Lady Glock wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

Unlikely in this market. Real Estate Appraisers have found the light (The ones who, in the past "Rubber Stamped" the sales price (value).

They are mostly gone, some in jail and a few are still around, but being a bit more careful.

Lenders/Reviewers/Underwriters/Secondary Market Analysis are actually reviewing appraisal, now, can you believe it? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not true. I think you're confused on my post. I just put in an offer on a house and added a Financing Addendum (definitely allowable on an FHA loan). See below:

Financing Addendum Seller's Contributions to Closing Costs and Discount Points
This form approved by the Minnesota Association of REALTORS which disclaims any liability arising out of use or misue of this form.

1. Date __________
2. Page __________
3. Addendum to Purchase Agreement between parties, dated _________, ______, pertaining to the purchase and sale of
4. the property at _______________________________
5. ____________________________________
6. Seller agrees to pay up to (check one):
7. __ $____________; or
8. __ __________ percent (%) of the sale price; or
9. __ __________ percent (%) of the mortgage amount
10. towards the Buyer's closing costs, prepaid items, and/or mortgage discount points as specified below. Any amount of
11. Seller's contribution that exceeds Buyer's actual costs, or which cannot be used because the Seller's contribution
12. exceeds the maximum Seller contribution allowed by law or by mortgage requirements, shall be retained by the
13. Seller.

14. The Buyer may use the funds toward:

15. __ Closing costs

16. __ Prepaids

17. __ Discount points (percent must be based upon mortgage amount)

18. NOTE: the amount paid by Seller cannot exceed the maximum Seller contribution allowed by FHA, DVA or lender. All funds paid by Seller on 19. behalf of Buyer must be stated on the HUD-1 at closing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Like I said, everything is open for negotiation!

Get your own appraisal if need be, its only $350 for a reputable appraiser, or thereabouts. Make sure you buy something right. Truth in Housing inspections are also a must.

Lots of people want nothing more than to be rid of their house on the market. Getting a seller to pick up closing costs is pretty typical. I did it also in June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:17 am 

I really appreciate all the information I am getting here! It's interesting to see all the different things that other's have done. Gives me something to talk to a realtor about when/if I decide to go this route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 am 

EJSG19 wrote:
Like I said, everything is open for negotiation!

Get your own appraisal if need be, its only $350 for a reputable appraiser, or thereabouts. Make sure you buy something right. Truth in Housing inspections are also a must.

Lots of people want nothing more than to be rid of their house on the market. Getting a seller to pick up closing costs is pretty typical. I did it also in June.

Exactly. We're trying to get the seller to throw in their big screen TV just because we don't want to have to buy one, move it in and set it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Lady Glock wrote:
I really appreciate all the information I am getting here! It's interesting to see all the different things that other's have done. Gives me something to talk to a realtor about when/if I decide to go this route.

Speaking of Realtors. 2.7% is a standard commission rate from the buyer. 6% is pretty typical commission from the seller.

If somebody asks for more tell them you will go find somebody that will do it for that. They'll come around pretty quick when they see you know what the score is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

OK, just so we are clear. :D

A seller trying to sell his/her house in this market and has their house properly priced at the high side this actual market, can try to add seller concessions ON TOP of the "Sale Price", thereby coming up with a new sales price, but it won't (shouldn't) appraise. :cry:

(By the way, this took place all the time in the past, and the then increasing market didn't take long to take care of the over valuation)

It's perfectly legal to have the seller pay buyers costs, it just should be a concession and not be added on to the realistic value of the home. :?

More clear? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:15 am 

UPDATE:

Still waiting to see if they will extend or renew my lease. They fired the manager that was working on the property (for reasons that don't involve this). The new manager said she would email her boss and let me know. It's been more than a week and so far I haven't heard anything.

I have signatures from half the tenants asking the management to reconsider...and will try to get the others tonight. Only 1 has refused to sign the request. (guess I know who freaked out).

One of my new neighbors said they wondered why there was a big deal being made about not carrying openly if they had the carry permit. Now they know.

Got a letter of recommendation from my CCW instructor in Colorado. I'll share it here:

LETTER OF REFERENCE
PROVIDED FOR **Lady Glock**
September 3, 2008

I’ve been training shooters for over 20 years. I’m an NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol and Personal Protection. I’ve had certifications in Combat Pistol, Tactical Rifle (semiautomatic), and Tactical Shotgun. I’m currently training 4H kids in target shooting with match 22 rifles, the objective being competition with other junior clubs.

I’ve known T**** R****** for about 5 years now and she was one of my best students. She took my NRA Personal Protection course, a 2 day comprehensive handgun course that includes 4 hours of exposure to the legal implications of the use of deadly force and to an array of alternatives to the use of deadly force.

She became a very proficient handgun handler as she took further, advanced training.

When citizens take the training that she has taken and get that concealed-carry permit, they are making a commitment to not only provide for their own self-defense, but they are also committing to the protection of any other person they come across that needs that protection.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world: sheep, wolves and sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are there to protect the sheep from the wolves. T**** will put herself in harms way to protect anyone who is in trouble and is unarmed or is otherwise unable to protect themselves. People like T**** are walking the hero’s path, although most of them don’t realize it.

I’d feel more secure if I had her as a neighbor.

**signed, address and phone number**

____________________________________________________________________________________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
When citizens take the training that she has taken and get that concealed-carry permit, they are making a commitment to not only provide for their own self-defense, but they are also committing to the protection of any other person they come across that needs that protection.

Like hell we are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 am 
Longtime Regular

that section sent alarm bells off in my head. I'd be VERY wary of giving that unedited letter out.

You want to be careful to back the safe, proficient, thoughtful, aware angle without throwing ANY Aggressive vibes out. Make it the last, unfortunate, totally forced on you extreme and it should help your case. Leave in the defend others angle and it makes you sound like a vigilante.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm 

Andrew and Paul...in your opinions, what should be edited out? Please show the full amount that should be taken out or if reworded, how should it be worded? The instructor is willing to provide in any way that is helpful

...in Colorado, it is taught exactly as this is worded. You have a *right* to protect strangers and you are protected from litigation for doing so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.