Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Will I be denied...again? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
No. The carry permit holders of Ramsey County will pay the fees because they'll be charged against the restricted fund created by their application fees. The County will only pay the excess if the Sheriff can't keep his spending within the limits of that fund.

Clearly you've never seen the carry permit financial reportings from Ramsey County. Everyone else in the state manages to run a slight surplus. Meanwhile Ramsey County is six digits into the red.

"Interesting" way to run a county office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
kimberman wrote:
No. The carry permit holders of Ramsey County will pay the fees because they'll be charged against the restricted fund created by their application fees. The County will only pay the excess if the Sheriff can't keep his spending within the limits of that fund.

Clearly you've never seen the carry permit financial reportings from Ramsey County. Everyone else in the state manages to run a slight surplus. Meanwhile Ramsey County is six digits into the red.

And when I brought this matter to the attention of the state auditor's office (with specific examples like paying 'copy fees' in excess of 3 times what a new copier cost, and long distance costs which amounted to man-years of time on the telephone), their basic response was "whaddayawant <I>us</i> to do about it." When I asked who looked after the taxpayers' interests in matters like this, their response boiled down to "No one."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Yup. The good news is that you can get any Minnesota lawyer to fight this fight, as long as he's named Marc Berris.
Marc, David, Brian, or Jeff.

And for the original poster, the obvious question: who was your instructor, and did he cover this stuff?

Yup, I would turn to any of the four if I needed a defense attorney. That said, Marc has been delivering a vigorous legal drubbing to Sheriff Fletcher on a somewhat regular basis.

[Disclaimer: Marc is an unpaid board member of MADFI, as am I. Further disclaimer: his legal chops are what led me to ask him to serve. :)]

I'm sure they would be quite happy if we posted, repeatedly, their contact info... [/hinty]

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
And when I brought this matter to the attention of the state auditor's office (with specific examples like paying 'copy fees' in excess of 3 times what a new copier cost, and long distance costs which amounted to man-years of time on the telephone), their basic response was "whaddayawant <I>us</i> to do about it." When I asked who looked after the taxpayers' interests in matters like this, their response boiled down to "No one."

I wish I could pretend you meant all of this in jest and that you just forgot to add in the laughing emoticon.

But when I wish in one hand and shit in the other....well, you get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
kimberman wrote:

The irony of that may one day dawn on you. I think there's very few minor details Kimberman is not up to speed on regarding the carry law. He was in on the ground floor as they say :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
kecker wrote:

The irony of that may one day dawn on you. I think there's very few minor details Kimberman is not up to speed on regarding the carry law. He was in on the ground floor as they say :-)

I'm fully aware he had almost certainly seen the financial reportings. So much is lost in translation from spoken (in my head) conversation to written online text.

Perhaps I need to attend emoticons 101 or something. The sarcasm was clearly lost. Surely MN has a welfare program that will help me with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:00 am 
The Man

Well, for what it's worth, I got it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
...When I asked who looked after the taxpayers' interests in matters like this, their response boiled down to "No one."

Well, no one other than the taxpayers themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Minnesota needs a qui tam law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Andrew, could you post that in un-latin for us young'ins? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:37 am 

here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qui_tam

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Hmm could this case (and Ramsey Co denial of permits) fall under "denial of civil rights under color of law"? Or have we gone over that bit already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:31 pm 

If I apply and get denied should i write the appeal letter or should i call the lawyer to do it for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:54 pm 
The Man

dan7780 wrote:
If I apply and get denied should i write the appeal letter or should i call the lawyer to do it for me?
This is Ramsey; you're going to need to go to the lawyer, anyway; no advantage in waiting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are a couple anecdotal stories of people cooperating with the kindly deputy "just trying to help" you get their permit ... Turns out the deputy was "just trying to help" you give him a list he could keep expanding until he came up with something to deny you on ...

Lawyer Lawyer Lawyer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.