Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 IDPA first-timers - Updated 
 Post subject: IDPA first-timers - Updated
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hi everybody,
My wife and I are going to try our hands at IDPA down at the Faribault Gun Club on Wed. It looks like great fun. We'll read through the rule-book tomorrow. Any words of wisdom before we dive in?

And the aftermath:
Had a ball. Shot like crap. My gun malfed about a gazillion times. I might have been nervous. OK, I was nervous. Holy Crap they are mondo serious about the regs. I'm not complaining - it's a good thing - I'm just not used to it. It'll come.

You were right, I didn't win. :lol:

Nice to meet a few new people. Props out to Leo. Settin that up must be a day-long affair.

Last edited by bensdad on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

You're not going to win so don't worry about speed. Focus on avoiding penalties for rules infractions and a slow, smooth draw. Safety first!

IDPA is great fun. You're sure to love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yep. Have you met Leo? Rule #1 is, do what Leo says. Everything else comes under rule #1, but includes: don't shoot Leo's truck.

I'll be there. I don't currently have the mustache and haven't fallen on my face lately and might wash my hair, so you might not recognize me, but I'll probably be the only guy there with a revolver.

Don't worry if you can't sort out all the details of the rule book. Somebody there will either know the answer or tell you nobody cares. Some of the more technical rules only really get enforced at sanctioned state or regional matches.

Mac's advice was all good; resist the temptation to rush. Remember to focus on your front sight. Based on last week, bring some bug spray.

See ya there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Yep. Have you met Leo? Rule #1 is, do what Leo says. Everything else comes under rule #1, but includes: don't shoot Leo's truck.

I'll be there. I don't currently have the mustache and haven't fallen on my face lately and might wash my hair, so you might not recognize me, but I'll probably be the only guy there with a revolver.

Don't worry if you can't sort out all the details of the rule book. Somebody there will either know the answer or tell you nobody cares. Some of the more technical rules only really get enforced at sanctioned state or regional matches.

Mac's advice was all good; resist the temptation to rush. Remember to focus on your front sight. Based on last week, bring some bug spray.

See ya there!

Thank-you Pat!
I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and learning some skills. I'm pretty sure I've met Leo at the club clean-up days over the last couple years. I talked to him on the phone yesterday. Turns out he's also the Cast-n-Blast guy. See you on the range.

P.S. Bug spray!! No kidding. Ben and I got mauled on Sun. afternoon. I love the range, but the whole swamp thing in the front is rather conducive to skitos.

P.P.S. I thought Leo's truck was one of the stages? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:03 am 
Longtime Regular

If you have a BUG (Back-Up Gun) bring that too. We shoot 3 simple BUG stages after the 3 regular IDPA stages are done. 15 rounds total for the BUG stages.

BUG gun consisits of the a semi-auto with barrel shorter than 3.8 inches or revolver with a barrel shorter than 3 inches. Caliber is 32 or larger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
I thought Leo's truck was one of the stages? :wink:

It's not unusual, hence the warning. For example, I shot this one pretty darn carefully:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.