Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 350 gun auction Oct 3rd 
 Post subject: 350 gun auction Oct 3rd
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 pm 

Saw this in a flyer from the auction house this weekend up north. Auction is in Palisade, MN which is 15 Miles north
of Aitkin.

http://www.reinhardtauctions.com/profil ... gnment.htm

There's a list on the web page.

Post subject: Re: 350 gun auction Oct 3rd
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Try this link
http://www.reinhardtauctions.com/profiles/oct%203%20consignment.htm

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Holy crap, that's a lot of guns! 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

The link didn't work. Try This: AUCTION LINK HERE

and....

oh, my! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow.

Gotta buy a lottery ticket to properly enjoy that auction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 am 

WOW! Had to look at a lot of tractors to get to the good stuff....

Don't let Dean see this link. He won't have any money left after the auction to rent the semi-trailer to get it all home.

MM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm 

a911scanner wrote:
WOW! Had to look at a lot of tractors to get to the good stuff....

Don't let Dean see this link. He won't have any money left after the auction to rent the semi-trailer to get it all home.

MM

We probably missed the semi-trailer in the listings. I'll bet if he buys enough other things that they might just GIVE him the trailer...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm 

The story behind the #1 firearm is really cool!

Quote:
#1 - JP Sauer Model 30 Luftwaffe Survival Drilling 12x12x9.3x74R, Swathstika Marked w/Orig. Alu. Case and Cleaning Kit, Made March 1942, #338123, ID # Etched lightly in toe of stock, 2 very small imperfections on bottom of receiver, otherwise gun looks new. Two wooden hold-down pcs. in box are broken but the pcs. are there. Beautiful gun-brought back as war trophy and stored.

Quote:
Note regarding #1 Firearm: The gun was brand-new and taken from a warehouse in Helmstadt, Germany at the end of 1944. The town of Helmstadt had been captured by the American troops and the 519th Ordnance Co., of which, Howard Julin was a member, was ordered to collect all the weapons from the local inhabitants to prevent an American soldier from being shot by one of the German civilians. The 519th Ordnance Co. had come through Normandy Beach and had first worked at getting the tanks ready for General Patton and his men to use to advance into Germany. Howard arrived in Normandy Beach in late June, 1944 and ended up in Helmstadt, Germany in late 1944 where the guns were taken from a warehouse that was storing them for use by German pilots. There were 150 shotguns just like Howard’s that were divided up among the men in the 519th and shipped home right away. The soldiers could either have had a pair of binoculars or the shotguns and Howard chose the shotgun which he has had in his possession ever since. Now that he is 89 years old, he wishes to sell it to someone who is a collector and will appreciate this fine gun.

Any idea what kind of price a piece like that would fetch?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

There should be a lot of these; and they probably are rightly the property of someone in Germany. Some of the officers who occupied germany used to tell of confiscating fine sporting arms. They said these would never have been used against Allies, but the owners were too scared to keep them. Thousands became souveniers for those who could sneak them home to America.

Thirty years ago I saw a 16 ga over high power rifle that was supposedly worth about $15,000 at that time. It was a confiscation. It was real nice and had wonderful engraving. Apparently game was driven in Germany, and all manner of animals and birds came out past "hunters" who needed combination guns and shot whatever came by.

I would think this stuff would still be considered stolen property. The GI's i talked to said their officers just wanted the good stuff, they didn't even bother with the military guns. The Germans were done fighting, and said there were no Nazi's left. :roll:

It seems wrong to me, but to anyone who fought the Germans, and liberated the camps, it never bothered them to liberate guns from rich Germans who owned the factories that supplied the Nazis..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, somebody questioned my post, and believes I denigrated the GI who brought the gun back. I thought I was just BSing about WWII bringbacks, but I guess it could be read as criticism because a smart guy did read it that way and called me on it.

To set it straight, I also have a German 'Bringback" that my father brought home. I'm keeping it. It wsas taken according to Allied orders, and the Army OKed it.

I come from a fairly large family of WWII vets, they thought confiscation of guns or anything else after the war was bad policy. WWII guys are hard to find, ANYMORE, but those guys grew up in the depression, and fought the worst tryranny the world has seen, and they were much more proud of the peace than the combat they did. Confiscations after the surrender just pissed off the civilians. The Nazis were finished and the GIs knew it..

The typical WWII vet would not accept what we see as "conservative" thought today or the GW bravado. When I grew up, every man I knew was a WWII GI, they thought for themselves, they had compassion for others.

Anyway, in case anyone else is concerned, I have nothing but respect for the Greatest Generation. They beat the depression, the Nazis and the Stalinists and the Chinese and made the USA into the best place in the world. They could think critically, and did not rely on doctrine and rhetoric. Today's "conservatives" could not mouth off about "liberals" to these guys.

My opinion on confiscation of German guns, and the effectiveness of gun control generally, I partly get from this background.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, that's too bad. A fine German drilling is not a weapon as much as it is a work of art. I don't think it should have been looted.

Heck, seems to me I remember the Minneapolis Institute of Arts finally getting a conscience about some of the war booty they "owned" and returned it to its home.

Sure - here's the story: Minneapolis Institute of Arts sends Nazi 'loot' home to Paris. Of course, they try to shift the blame onto the Nazis, but it still wasn't theirs to begin with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am 
The Man

Steve Brust has a Nazi .32 that his father, during WWII, took at gunpoint off a Nazi officer. I'm envious of that, although not as envious of the Nazi handgun that Gross has, which was taken off of a dead Nazi. I hope I'm not coming off as critical of anybody involved; I'm sure Steve's Dad had a good reason for not shooting the Nazi, and I wouldn't want to be thought of as casting aspersions on him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Steve Brust has a Nazi .32 that his father, during WWII, took at gunpoint off a Nazi officer.

That is a horse of a different color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah. Lots of valuable guns were taken from German civilians who used them for hunting. These were the most valuable, and hardly dangerous. Any 'dangerous Nazis" left would have secreted their own guns. But the confiscations were mostly private gun collections. All the GI's I knew thought it was probably a mistake, but it was orders. The government said take em, and distributed them as war booty. Nothing wrong with that, from the perspective of an infantry man who went from Normandy to the Elbe.

We now have the luxury of debating the nuances of the Allied policy regarding luxury items because of what these men did. I'm not saying they dwelt on the issue. They also cleaned concentration camps and flooded sewers and mass graves, so they did have a pretty good relative perspective on the issues of right and wrong.

But they were aware of the need for rebuilding the country, and were concerned that they not behave as their predecessors. They were gracutious victors. I was lucky to have known many WWII vets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Duh - forgot that the drilling was Luftwaffe marked. I just see the word drilling and my gets foggy. If it's Luftwaffe marked, I don't care.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.