Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bill's Shooter Show 
 Post subject: Bill's Shooter Show
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:05 pm 

I know we're having a bit of a spat with Bill's at the moment, but I headed down there today with a friend to try out some nice handguns. Shot a variety of brands, including "CZ" which I hadn't heard of (which isn't unusual, I'm not a serious gun-nut). My favorite was probably the springfield XD, shot very, very nicely and the little safety deal on the back side of the grip didn't bother me like I thought it would. Never even brought my gun in, there were too many other choices to try.

Anyway, it was a fun time. Lots of guns to shoot and if you buy your ammo there (not that they were checking), it's free to shoot too!

Oh, and that .50cal? Leave the range when that thing comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm 
The Man

My . . . occasional lack of enthusiasm for Bill's isn't recent, or based on just their latest boneheadness, honest. That said, their shooters shows are, as I've said and felt, both good business for them and good for the community, and I wish them the best with them.

If I didn't have other things to do tomorrow -- there's these pageproofs that need work on and this book that ain't getting any longer or better while I'm not at the keyboard working on it -- I'd probably go over there again. I was at the previous one, the one just before they . . . parted ways with Len.

That said, if somebody were to talk to the owner or store manager there tomorrow, and suggest that they could do better for themselves by doing better, it wouldn't bother me any -- although, honestly, if I were there, it'd come under the category of "save your breath to cool your soup."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I bought my CZ because I was able to shoot one at Bill's show.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:

I was at their Spring Shooters' Show once and shot a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel. My first shot at 21 feet was dead center. My wife, looking through the glass, muttered, "Oh s**t, he's going to buy it." I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:

I may have to try a CZ sometime... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:16 pm 

Old Dude wrote:
My first shot at 21 feet was dead center. My wife, looking through the glass, muttered, "Oh s**t, he's going to buy it." I did.

Bahahaha! My wife would probably say that exact thing if that were me.

grayskys wrote:
I may have to try a CZ sometime... :)

If you don't get to try one at Bill's, I'll be happy to let you shoot mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:51 am 

Quote:
grayskys wrote:
I may have to try a CZ sometime... Smile

If you don't get to try one at Bill's, I'll be happy to let you shoot mine.

Or some of mine. I currently have 7 including the Kadet Kit .22 adapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Old Dude wrote:
My first shot at 21 feet was dead center. My wife, looking through the glass, muttered, "Oh s**t, he's going to buy it." I did.

Bahahaha! My wife would probably say that exact thing if that were me.

Are you use to using the "wife" term yet? It took me some time but now my wife is known as "the wife"

Back to the post of the day, I think I may need to stop buy so I can try out a M&P 40! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Bill's Shooter Show
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Fubar wrote:
Shot a variety of brands, including "CZ" which I hadn't heard of (which isn't unusual, I'm not a serious gun-nut).

CZ is the most under-rated gun on the market.

The EAA Tanfoglio are selling rip-offs of the CZ design. (Which was all you could get, back when CZ was behind the iron curtain.)

They're not just a solid design, they're very well-made. Their manufacturing processes are decades out of date - lots of forging and machining, instead of the stamping we see more modern manufacturers use to keep the price down.

But they manage to be quite affordable, anyway.

Great value for the money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 pm 

jdege wrote:
...Their manufacturing processes are decades out of date - lots of forging and machining, instead of the stamping we see more modern manufacturers use to keep the price down.

But they manage to be quite affordable, anyway.

Are they out of date or is this the secret to their outstanding quality?

They probably still make their money from the rest of the world. The guy at the Outdoorsman had stories about canadians drooling over CZ's (even at his prices). They claimed that the price started over $1000 in canadia.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Both.

Modern, up-to-date manufacturing processes produce junk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:24 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

jdege wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
Both.

CZ is a Modern Classic - and basically it is the sleeper of the Cream of the Crop Guns. It is like a honda civvic with like 600hp under the hood - Functional and utilitarian on the surface and a comfortable ride - but has something to hide.... REAL PERFORMANCE.

The 75 Series has been around for a while and I can remember in the late 80's and early 90's that they were THE gun to have - I can remember them going for well say - $800-1200 EASILY for one that you can get now for like $550 NIB. These are VERY good guns - every one of them.....

I have a Pre B-75 and it is an old Czech Police Pistol and it has been refinished other than that and a couple of new parts that were missing - it is stock - it is one of the best shooting guns that I have ever owned and I would place it up there against any new gun on the market - even Sig or HK.

In the gun world there are a few bargains - CZ's are one of them.

CZ's are made with a lot of care and CRAFTSMANSHIP; they are really high quality - and one of the reasons is that they are about as simple as can be. There are really few parts to them and the design is sound - it is basically a Browning High Power with a little different flavor.

Czech guns have ALWAYS been of very high quality and some of their machine guns are SO Clever that it is amazing. Some designs are timeless - the CZ-75 Pistol is one of them. I think that it is a very overlooked design when we make recommendations. (Czechnology was the CZ Catch phrase for a while and I think that it applies to the guns that they make.)

You can get them at a bargain price sometimes - I have seen a basic 75 go for $300 NIB. If you have ever picked one up - you would like it - it is like shaking hands with an old friend.

CZ has been around for a while and I think that they are making the right moves by purchasing Dan Wesson and targeting the CCW market with the RAMI and the 75 compact, the P-01 (and the CZ-100 (ugly duckling but a great shooter and AFFORDABLE)

I have a buddy that is a top IDPA shooter and he shoots a CZ SP-01 TACTICAL - man that is a gun and a half and for his cost of under $600 - you cannot beat it. Angus Hobdell (CZ Factory Shooter) won the world IPSC Championship with one...... Beat Leatham and the rest of the usual suspects.

Not bad for an Eastern Block Gun Company.... Nice guns and it was good to see Rob Jahn at the shooters show - He is the CZ rep.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:58 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
jdege wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
Both.

CZ is a Modern Classic - and basically it is the sleeper of the Cream of the Crop Guns. It is like a honda civvic with like 600hp under the hood - Functional and utilitarian on the surface and a comfortable ride - but has something to hide.... REAL PERFORMANCE.

The 75 Series has been around for a while and I can remember in the late 80's and early 90's that they were THE gun to have - I can remember them going for well say - $800-1200 EASILY for one that you can get now for like $550 NIB. These are VERY good guns - every one of them.....

I have a Pre B-75 and it is an old Czech Police Pistol and it has been refinished other than that and a couple of new parts that were missing - it is stock - it is one of the best shooting guns that I have ever owned and I would place it up there against any new gun on the market - even Sig or HK.

In the gun world there are a few bargains - CZ's are one of them.

CZ's are made with a lot of care and CRAFTSMANSHIP; they are really high quality - and one of the reasons is that they are about as simple as can be. There are really few parts to them and the design is sound - it is basically a Browning High Power with a little different flavor.

Czech guns have ALWAYS been of very high quality and some of their machine guns are SO Clever that it is amazing. Some designs are timeless - the CZ-75 Pistol is one of them. I think that it is a very overlooked design when we make recommendations. (Czechnology was the CZ Catch phrase for a while and I think that it applies to the guns that they make.)

You can get them at a bargain price sometimes - I have seen a basic 75 go for $300 NIB. If you have ever picked one up - you would like it - it is like shaking hands with an old friend.

CZ has been around for a while and I think that they are making the right moves by purchasing Dan Wesson and targeting the CCW market with the RAMI and the 75 compact, the P-01 (and the CZ-100 (ugly duckling but a great shooter and AFFORDABLE)

I have a buddy that is a top IDPA shooter and he shoots a CZ SP-01 TACTICAL - man that is a gun and a half and for his cost of under $600 - you cannot beat it. Angus Hobdell (CZ Factory Shooter) won the world IPSC Championship with one...... Beat Leatham and the rest of the usual suspects.

I did not know my namesake was the CZ rep [g]. The CZ is being used by many of the top USPSA shooters in the area. I believe its the CZ 75 SP01 that is current "hot gun". A local gunsmith is doing awesome trigger jobs that really improves what to me is the weak link in CZ, the trigger pull.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

(Don't forget the CZ long guns. Browning level quality at Ruger prices)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Czech guns have ALWAYS been of very high quality and some of their machine guns are SO Clever that it is amazing.
My grandfather had a couple of guns he'd always intended me to have. When my grandmother handed them over, I found that one was a VZ24 - matching serial numbers, pristine barrel.

On researching it a bit, I found that the VZ24 was considered to be the best of the Mausers. Excellent workmanship and much better quality control over the barrel steel than anyone else making military firearms, pre-WWII.

Brno makes good guns. Has for quite a long time.

If we could only do something about their vowel problem...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.