Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Gun Cleaning Procedure 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:33 am 
Longtime Regular

It may be just me, but I'd not wash a pistol in the dishwasher without doing a detail stripping.

Water under high pressure will get into places that it normally wouldn't. Not a problem, if you're opening them up and drying them off. But I don't, for example, pull the mainspring out of the frame in a normal cleaning. And I'd not want to store a gun with water in the mainspring housing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
You do realize that one method of cutting diamonds uses high pressure water jets.......DIAMONDS.......not metal and plastic :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, sure, but I believe there are abrasive particles in the water jet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

It still doesn't mean that lead can't get into your dishwasher, which then gets onto your plates, and thence into you. Why not just use a bottle of kerosene?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:
You do realize that one method of cutting diamonds uses high pressure water jets.......DIAMONDS.......not metal and plastic :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, sure, but I believe there are abrasive particles in the water jet.

But there are abrasive particles in your dishwasher too unless you run it for multiple cycles without anything in it, to flush them out!

Check the scratches on your glasses at home, or try putting an old pair of eye glasses in the dish washer once a week for a couple of months and then try to use them.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes, there are traces of stuff on your gun that are toxic. But the soap you're putting in the dishwasher to wash your dishes with is toxic.

The rinse cycle must be at least reasonably effective at flushing all that crud down the drain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

durbin6 wrote:
Quote:
I am however NOT going to put my pistol in the dishwasher!
(and I need NO perverted comments on that)!!!!

Perfectly safe, Glocks shoot under water too! 8)

Maybe you were kidding but .. no. Factory "civilian" Glocks should never be fired underwater. They require special spring cups to be used underwater, and even then you risk internal organ damage from the shock waves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
squib_joe wrote:
We're supposed to clean these things?

I will make no comment about the range guns at gun shops ... wait, I just did.

Actually, that may emphasize the point: As long as it's clean enough to fire, it's clean enough for today. And, Don't let excessive cleaning interfere in your range time.

I wonder though, how often DO the range guns get cleaned?

I put 300 rounds through a XD9 at Robbinsdale the other day, what a great day :-)

Glad you had fun. Yes, the rental guns do have a regular cleaning schedule and "retirement" age depending on the popularity of the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:48 am 

squib_joe wrote:
durbin6 wrote:
Quote:
I am however NOT going to put my pistol in the dishwasher!
(and I need NO perverted comments on that)!!!!

Perfectly safe, Glocks shoot under water too! 8)

Maybe you were kidding but .. no. Factory "civilian" Glocks should never be fired underwater. They require special spring cups to be used underwater, and even then you risk internal organ damage from the shock waves.

Well yeah, and we really don't was our guns int the dishwasher either.. lol :lol:

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
Yes, the rental guns do have a regular cleaning schedule and "retirement" age depending on the popularity of the gun.

Things sure have changed since John took over.

The old cleaning schedule for guns at Bill's was "when they jam a lot."

:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.