Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Bowling for Columbine 
 Post subject: Bowling for Columbine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:05 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Anyone want to discuss this movie? I just watched it last night.

I already knew it was going to be anti-gun, and it even had a couple of lies in it. But, it was not as anti-gun as I thought it would be. It seemed to actually dig for the reason we (as a country) are gun nuts, and why we are afraid of each other.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't know where to begin. It's a work of fiction from start to finish

http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 pm 

pure crapola.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 am 

I actually enjoyed the movie. Michael Moore can be pretty funny. Though I really wonder about the segment where he goes from door to door in a large Canadian city (forget which), and just walks right in. His point was that Canadians don't live in a world of "fear thy neighbor," and thus leave their doors unlocked. Sounds like a crock. He also noted that "Canadians are armed to the teath," as much so as their cousins to the south.

But his whole purpose was to address the reason for America's gun culture. His answer was overly simplistic, saying essentially that Americans expect the worst of each other. I agree with this premise; it can easilly apply to any population of a larger city - anywhere.

However, Moore failed to fully discuss the historical and political reasons for Americans' love of firearms. That is really the only part of the movie which left me bothered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I would think you might prefer the movie "Michael & Me". Personally I liked this movie, much better than bowling for columbine!

from Amazon.com

Plot Outline: Attorney and Radio Talk-Show host Larry Elder spends a year and a half attempting to interview Michael Moore in response to Moore's assertions about guns made in Bowling for Columbine.

Here is a link: Michael & Me DVD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:49 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I read a little on the Bowling for Truth site.

Part of what I thought was interesting in the movie was that he was showing that the media creates fear... But, that's exactly what Moore did with Heston's speeches.

More proof that anti's are hypocrites?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

What does the "Bowling" part of the title mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moore whimsically reports that Kliebold and Harris, the Columbine shooters, went bowling before embarking on their massacre.

Tick Slayer wrote:
What does the "Bowling" part of the title mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

So the bowling made them do it?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I thought it was from a clip in the movie of a bowl-a-thon fundraiser for Columbine High School and they gave away some rifles as raffle prizes for the bowlers. Supposed to be ironic.
<EDIT>
Guess not.
Quote:
http://web.archive.org/web/200302010938 ... ut/faq.php
Q. Why is the movie called “Bowling for Columbine”?
A. First off, let me make it clear that this is not a bowling movie. Bowling fans will be disappointed if they come expecting to see a number of exciting bowling maneuvers.

It is also not a movie about the Columbine tragedy, although that sad event is revisited briefly in the film.

The title is taken from the little-known fact that the two killers, Dylan and Eric, were supposed to be in bowling class at Columbine High School on the morning of the murders. At least five witnesses, including their teacher, told the police that they saw one or both boys that morning at the bowling alley for their first hour class. Some school and law enforcement officials later maintained that the two boys skipped that class that morning yet no other witness has come forward to say they saw Eric and Dylan anywhere else that morning.

<FURTHER EDIT>
Apparently all of the above is based on a myth: http://blogs.salon.com/0001137/2005/04/16.html#a1561
Quote:
So I've been getting a lot of emails since Red Lake happened. About Columbine, naturally. Lots and lots of people out there still hungry for information, so it seems like a good moment to finally put one to rest:

Bowling for Columbine. Never happened.

The whole disarming image of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold blissfully bowling away five hours before the massacre as if nothing was about to happen? Fascinating piece of fiction. Yet another in an endless stream of Columbine myths....

So, a movie full of inaccuracies, biased edits, and selective anecdotes derived its title from an urban myth; seems very appropriate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm... Makes one wonder what they WERE up to before they started taking lives.

Also makes one wonder how much fiction American audiences are willing to accept as truth without verifying it first. Apparently, quite a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have yet to see a limit to what they can swallow... As long as it makes then "Feel Good" :(

Personally I would like to see the word "Feel" banned! I would also like to see people pass (100% is passing) a reasoning and logic test before they could vote too.

"I would rather be safe and feel unsafe than feel safe and be unsafe!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

i rented it a few years back before i knew who michael moore was. he is a FU***** P.O.S! I will never see another one of his corn-hole movies. the only thing i took away from the show was the fact that the parents of the goth kids were clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:01 am 
Longtime Regular

[Moderator]
We are not going to talk, even in jest, about violence against anti-gun zealots.
[/Moderator]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.