Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Had an.... interesting... night. 
 Post subject: Had an.... interesting... night.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I had been at my brothers new home to help set up his computer. Ended up sitting and playing Halo with him and got home late.

Well, I finally got to bed around 2:30 in the morning, and started my normal struggle to get to sleep. Usually takes me around an hour. Around 3:00, my dog started barking. She usually doesn't do this, but when she does she quiets down when she's told. I started listening to the house sounds like I normally do for doors opening, doorknobs being rattled, etc. My sister went downstairs to tell her to be quiet, and she wouldn't stop barking out the window. A minute later, my sister came into my room and said "there's somebody outside the door dressed in dark clothes."

Holy crap, big adrenaline rush. I was out of bed pretty quick, tried to pull on my pants (realized that my sister was in the room and asked her to close the door. :oops: It was dark, though) and put my gun on. I went and looked at the window that she had seen it at, and couldn't really see anything. She didn't either at that point, but she was convinced that someone had been there. So, we moved back to my parents room, so everyone was in the same room, woke up my parents and called the police.

About 2 minutes after we called, we got a call from an Officer to find out where on the house she had seen the person, then we saw cars coming in with all of their lights off at a fairly high rate of speed from each direction. Fairly comforting feeling when we could see the cars coming.

They came to talk to us, took a look around our house and the neighbors yards and didn't find anything. I checked our garage and basement just in case, and the police spent time scouring through all the streets in the neighborhood. We didn't get a call back, so I'm guessing they didn't find anybody.

I couldn't sleep for another hour until the adrenaline rush wore off, then I really crashed hard. I kept pacing through the house and checking the yards. I did learn a few interesting things about myself and how I have things set up at night. A few things I need to change. Partly, I've never experienced that rush before in a situation where my equipment wasn't already setup and on my person so that I can easily get what I need with gross motor skills. When I went back to put a holster on when the police were on their way, it took me a minute fumbling with the belt to get it threaded through the belt loops and everything. I'm contemplating finding something that will be easier and faster to put on if I need it. The second, I need a flashlight that will stay in my room. I have a flashlight, but it gets used frequently. It wasn't there when I needed it. I have a couple others, like I would have liked my sister to be able to have a shotgun as well, but oh well. Another excuse to buy guns.:D I'm still working through exactly what I did. I've identified a couple of minor errors in how I moved through the house that could be corrected. Oh well, I learned.

Had an interesting memory from while I was moving through the common area's of the house. I'm remembering better now how I moved through, and the specific ways that I moved, but my strongest memories were the feeling of the right side of the takedown lever under my forefinger, my sights, and seeing the police cars rushing toward the house a few minutes later. I hadn't realized that my finger rested on the takedown lever before, and I wasn't focusing on it specifically at the time. I was far more interested in seeing through the living room and kitchen, and knowing my sights were aligned properly.

Anyway, I was impressed with the Coon Rapids Police. They did a great job. Did affirm why I believe in guns for home defense. It took them 2 or 3 minutes to get there, which is a good response time, but it's time that obviously you have to fend for yourself. Interesting night all around, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:09 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Nice story. Thanks. Sleep in the nude do ya? :oops:

At night, if I'm going to investigate something, I'll just tuck the gun (with or without the holster) in my waistband. But, I have already realized that is too much weight for underwear alone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:37 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Glad it worked out for you.

Normally the PD will do a GREAT job of getting there FAST on a prowler call. They live for that ... BEFORE THEY GET INTO THE HOUSE.

Buy that dog a steak - something prime and aged - from lunds........ The Dog earned it - a job well done and that is what likely kept the shitbag out of the house - a barking dog...... Nice.....

Wait till someone breaks into my place and they meet my cat ...... We call her MONGO.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. I didn't have any non-beef stuff last night (she's allergic to beef), so she got a big piece of SPAM until I can get her something better. I agree, though, I'll be getting her a nice treat.

That's what we were thinking probably made him stand there a minute and think twice about trying to get in. I'm happy, though. I really wasn't looking forward to the idea of dealing with someone in my own home.

Last edited by AGoodDay on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:14 pm 
Delicate Flower

Yup.........dog. Best alarm system there is. Got two....one for backup :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Had an.... interesting... night.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
.....Holy crap, big adrenaline rush. I was out of bed pretty quick, tried to pull on my pants (realized that my sister was in the room and asked her to close the door. :oops: It was dark, though) and put my gun on..... I did learn a few interesting things about myself and how I have things set up at night..... A few things I need to change. Partly, I've never experienced that rush before in a situation where my equipment wasn't already setup and on my person so that I can easily get what I need with gross motor skills. When I went back to put a holster on when the police were on their way, it took me a minute fumbling with the belt to get it threaded through the belt loops and everything. I'm contemplating finding something that will be easier and faster to put on if I need it. The second, I need a flashlight that will stay in my room. I have a flashlight, but it gets used frequently. It wasn't there when I needed it. I have a couple others, like I would have liked my sister to be able to have a shotgun as well, but oh well. Another excuse to buy guns.:D I'm still working through exactly what I did. I've identified a couple of minor errors in how I moved through the house that could be corrected. Oh well, I learned....... It took them 2 or 3 minutes to get there, which is a good response time, but it's time that obviously you have to fend for yourself. Interesting night all around, though.

I think having the gun in your hand, rather then spending time putting a holster on for it, might save “a minute” :wink:

In addition, a good flashlight is a must (one that is handy, in your night stand). :!:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

JDR wrote:
I think having the gun in your hand, rather then spending time putting a holster on for it, might save “a minute” :wink:

Agree'd. I did this specifically once everyone was in one room, the police were called, and I had already looked outside. Initially, the gun was in my hand when I left the room. My dad expressed that he didn't think I should have a gun when I went to talk to the cops, and didn't like that it was in my pants rather than a holster at the time (still don't agree with the logic when there's somebody there that shouldn't be) so I grabbed a holster while they were on their way. I'm sorry that I made that unclear. I did this after I already checked the upstairs and what I could see of downstairs, a little while after the police were called while the rest of my family was in one room next to mine, mostly to help my dad feel more comfortable while talking to the police. Perhaps not a preferable course of action.
Quote:
In addition, a good flashlight is a must (one that is handy, in your night stand). Exclamation

Oh yeah. No arguments from me on that one. I've been debating what I'd like to put there quite a bit today. Any suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
[
Quote:
In addition, a good flashlight is a must (one that is handy, in your night stand). :!:

Oh yeah. No arguments from me on that one. I've been debating what I'd like to put there quite a bit today. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have a SurefireE2 Executive for several years (4, I think) that I carry everyday. It's indestructible! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:04 pm 
On time out

My Blackhawk (/Nightops) Gladius is really nice, bigger initial investment for an LED lamp, but from then on you only have to feed it batteries every hour or so of runtime :) Plus it is on the large side of your more compact-yet-capable Surefires like the Z2 or G2Z (specifically, it's a tad longer, heard that's to make room for the LED driver/electronics), but that doesn't make a difference if it will play a nightstand role.

But I honestly have been considering adding a G2Z to my flashlight lineup for carry, that's how much less convenient I've come to view the Gladius as being: not terribly so, but enough that you get envious of smaller models...

I figure with both lights I could then throw a P61 bulb in the G2Z for the higher light output, and save it only for when circumstances dictate (no strobing it all day "just for fun" -- you know it happens!). And for general lighting needs around the house/at the range, etc. I can easily grab the Gladius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Wait till someone breaks into my place and they meet my cat ...... We call her MONGO.......

Yeah, we have ... The Beast. Once you rub his belly, he is your friend, until you stop. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to get the prowler to stop and rub his belly.

AGoodDay,

Glad everyone is ok.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Great ending and good lessons.

I have shorts I put on with the gun and reloads near the bed with two flash lights one small light and one large 6 inch spot light that can check the yard from inside.

No dog but have a big cat if that counts? ;)

Thank you for sharing and I have found my local police do a great job and are darn fast.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

SureFire G2s are only $30 or $35 each, but reliable and very bright.

No reason not to have one in the nightstand and a few more around the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:25 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Andrew Rothman wrote:

A good light gives you an INSTANT advantage. Perhaps helping you to avoid shooting - when someone sees that light - theya re really apt to just RUN like mad.....

I would .........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:25 am 
The Man

Pinnacle wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

A good light gives you an INSTANT advantage. Perhaps helping you to avoid shooting - when someone sees that light - theya re really apt to just RUN like mad.....

I would .........
Each to his/her own. In my own home, I'd very much want to kill all the possible lights if there's an intruder, rather than generaly more; I'm willing to bet that my dog and I know my home in the dark better than he does.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:55 am 

As far as a bedroom flashlight I lean towards the good old fashioned Maglite. I keep a 3 D cell next to the bed. It's good for checking those strange noises that don't (yet) require a gun. It's also not as alarming to any of the kids that might still be up (unlikely that they're up after me). I have a G2 but don't think it would do vary well to beat someone if need be.

And I agree, I'd rather not use any lights until I need to. Surprise is a good thing....

If I need to get out of bed and grab a gun to check something, grabbing pants is the least of my concerns, I'll be wearing enough clothing to be decent. I'd rather have the response time. If I do want pants, my belt and holster stay on them until the next morning, just in case.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.