Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Permit-Required Rifles 
 Post subject: Permit-Required Rifles
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 pm 
On time out

Wow, I didn't know until tonight that you need a MN handgun purchase permit to buy a "semiautomatic military-style assault weapon". Now I see it in the statutes, I've just never gone after a black rifle or similar item myself, and since the purchase permit just says 'handgun', well... I had always wondered why that language was there.

Anyway, a friend was seriously considering an AK variant impulse buy, but he couldn't go through with it. It's really too bad too, because he may exercise more restraint now that the moment is passed, which means I won't have a friend with a cheap-o AK for me to shoot :cry:

On the other hand, it's the chance for him to have some 'fun' renewing his purchase permit, and some real fun maybe visiting the gun show on the 25th with me, wandering around and having me help him find a better deal :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:01 am 
Longtime Regular

But you have a friend with a cheap-O Ak variant and more on the way.

We are friends right? You have neat stuff you'd like to let me shoot while you are experiencing the joys of AK, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Yep, we need those laws to keep those evil looking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. They might use them to defend themselves against a violent criminal. The safety of criminals always comes first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:33 am 
Longtime Regular

I think that the rifle thing should have sunset with the AWB. I don't understand why it didn't. The up side, though, is the fact that during the AWB, we could still buy military looking weapons here, high cap mags and all.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I think that the rifle thing should have sunset with the AWB. I don't understand why it didn't..

It's a state law, not a part of the federal AWB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I KNEW THAT !!! However, was it state law BEFORE the AWB or after ?? That I don't know. If it was after, then, IMHO, it should have gone away with the AWB. Maybe this is something we should work on our legislators about??

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, so maybe my AR with the real colapsing stock and 14.5 inch barrel (16" with the suppressor included) is not covered by the "state" law... I didn't need to produce my carry permit when I picked up this jewel just after the AWB expired.

On the other hand maybe it isn't really a state law, maybe it is just the store you visited. Does anyone have the text of the statute?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Ok, so maybe my AR with the real colapsing stock and 14.5 inch barrel (16" with the suppressor included) is not covered by the "state" law... I didn't need to produce my carry permit when I picked up this jewel just after the AWB expired.

On the other hand maybe it isn't really a state law, maybe it is just the store you visited. Does anyone have the text of the statute?

Mostly-

Oh, it's real:

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/624/7132.html

Quote:
624.7132 Report of transfer.

Subdivision 1. Required information. Except as provided in this section and section 624.7131, every person who agrees to transfer a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon shall report the following information in writing...

Subd. 8. Report not required. If the proposed
transferee presents a valid transferee permit* issued under
section 624.7131 or a valid permit to carry issued under section
624.714, the transferor need not file a transfer report.

(* A "transferee permit" is a Permit to Purchase a Handgun)

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/624/712.html

Quote:
624.712 Definitions

Subd. 7. Semiautomatic military-style assault weapon. "Semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" means:

(1) any of the following firearms:

(i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK-47) semiautomatic rifle type;

(ii) Beretta AR-70 and BM-59 semiautomatic rifle types;

(iii) Colt AR-15 semiautomatic rifle type;

(iv) Daewoo Max-1 and Max-2 semiautomatic rifle types;

(v) Famas MAS semiautomatic rifle type;

(vi) Fabrique Nationale FN-LAR and FN-FNC semiautomatic rifle types;

(vii) Galil semiautomatic rifle type;

(viii) Heckler &> Koch HK-91, HK-93, and HK-94 semiautomatic rifle types;

(ix) Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11 semiautomatic pistol and carbine types;

(x) Intratec TEC-9 semiautomatic pistol type;

(xi) Sigarms SIG 550SP and SIG 551SP semiautomatic rifle types;

(xii) SKS with detachable magazine semiautomatic rifle type;

(xiii) Steyr AUG semiautomatic rifle type;

(xiv) Street Sweeper and Striker-12 revolving-cylinder shotgun types;

(xv) USAS-12 semiautomatic shotgun type;

(xvi) Uzi semiautomatic pistol and carbine types; or

(xvii) Valmet M76 and M78 semiautomatic rifle types;

(2) any firearm that is another model made by the same manufacturer as one of the firearms listed in clause (1), and has the same action design as one of the listed firearms, and is a redesigned, renamed, or renumbered version of one of the firearms listed in clause (1), or has a slight modification or enhancement, including but not limited to a folding or retractable stock; adjustable sight; case deflector for left-handed shooters; shorter barrel; wooden, plastic, or metal stock; larger clip size; different caliber; or a bayonet mount; and

(3) any firearm that has been manufactured or sold by another company under a licensing agreement with a manufacturer of one of the firearms listed in clause (1) entered into after the effective date of Laws 1993, chapter 326, to manufacture or sell firearms that are identical or nearly identical to those listed in clause (1), or described in clause (2), regardless of the company of production or country of origin.

The weapons listed in clause (1), except those listed in items (iii), (ix), (x), (xiv), and (xv), are the weapons the importation of which was barred by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms of the United States Department of the Treasury in July 1989.

Except as otherwise specifically provided in paragraph (d), a firearm is not a "semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" if it is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes under United States Code, title 18, section 925, paragraph (d)(3), or any regulations adopted pursuant to that law.

Subd. 8. Included weapons. By August 1, 1993, and annually thereafter, the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension shall publish a current authoritative list of the firearms included within the definition of "semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" under this section. Dealers, purchasers, and other persons may rely on the list in complying with this chapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

Mostly-

If a dealer sold you that rifle without asking for a purchase or carry permit, they were breaking the law.

I've heard of that happening more than once. In one case, a customer at a Crocodile Productions gun show was informed that a Bushmaster AR-15 pistol was "just a hunting rifle without a stock - anyone over 18 can buy one".

I'm amazed that these dealers are able to get a FFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
I'm amazed that these dealers are able to get a FFL.

Well, there's getting, and there's keeping. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:35 pm 
Wise Elder

You can thank former Republican state representative and former chief justice Kathy Blatz for this. She switched her vote at 11:45pm on the night of last committee deadline in 1993. I think that makes it a year before the federal AWB. It was a great moment for the DFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:27 pm 
On time out

Not to take this thread off of the truly beneficial (and informed) political discussion it became, but FYI my friend got his AK this weekend. After not finding a stupendous deal at the MWCA show, he grabbed a Century Arms that Bill's had on the wall.

I have to say that an AK is not the rifle for me. It didn't feel like it fit well. It was a blast to shoot, but I don't think I'd be happy owning one. Guess that's why I wanted a friend with one! :D

Oh and if any of you on here truly are friends with me, who wouldn't mind me shooting your stuff, does anyone have a 10mm? I'm specifically thinking of getting a Witness, but I'd settle for just shooting the cartridge . (<-- period) since I've never fired one before.

I might be able to hold out for Bill's show next weekend, too. The GLOCK rep is bound to have a 20/29 on the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Prolix wrote:
I might be able to hold out for Bill's show next weekend, too. The GLOCK rep is bound to have a 20/29 on the table.

If I remember correctly, Glock didn't show at the fall show. For sure he wasn't there Friday. I'm pretty sure they'll have the most common calibers there... Never, it seems, do they bring many models.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:47 am 
The Man

Prolix wrote:
Oh and if any of you on here truly are friends with me, who wouldn't mind me shooting your stuff, does anyone have a 10mm? I'm specifically thinking of getting a Witness, but I'd settle for just shooting the cartridge . (<-- period) since I've never fired one before.
The many-caliber 1911 I got from Tom Castonguay (it can be set up to shoot 9mm, 9mm largo, 10mm, .22, .45, .45 Super, .38 Super) is set up for 10mm at the moment. My class schedule is at http://ellegon.com/courses, and I'll be at the range after every class; if you want to shoot it, I can bring it along.

(You'll have to dig up some ammo; I'm completely out of 10mm practice ammo, and only have the -- expensive -- carry ammo, and here's no good local place to get replacements.)

That said, there are some 10mm afficionados around.

As to shooting it, the way the gun's set up, it feels to me about like a .40 S&W from a polymer gun -- snappy, but by no means overpowering. About as controllable as .45, although the feel is very different.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:28 pm 
On time out

Thanks for the generous offer, Joel. I'll keep your schedule in mind and let you know if I can ever make it.

Thinking about how uncommon and expensive 10mm ammunition is, I did place a web order for some recently (just a box of UMC FMJ's & a box of 20 hot JHP's for comparison). I needed some shotshells anyway... So now I can bring my own rounds to the party anytime someone will let me try their ten.

I'll post a more conspicuous request if this doesn't garner as many offers as I would like :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.