Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Stephen Hunter on Northern Alliance radio 
 Post subject: Stephen Hunter on Northern Alliance radio
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Stephen Hunter -- if you don't know who that is, you probably don't like novels about guns -- will be on the repeat show today of Northern Alliance, 1280 AM, at 9 pm.

I caught just the tail end of the show yesterday. It's usually great stuff. Most of 1280's programming is good, especially Dennis Prager and Michael Medved. Northern Alliance is several local bloggers, including the guys who helped bring down Dan Rather.

The only problem is, the station only has about 1.5 watts of power, so you have to be pretty much next to the transmitter antenna and turn your radio just right to hear it, and even then, after dark, it fades out pretty badly.

Anyway, Hunter will be talking about his new book, about the attempted assassination of Truman in 1950. Fascinating stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:07 am 
Longtime Regular

The reason it fades out after dark is due to an FCC rule about reducing power output so it doesn't interfere with other radio stations throughout the US. The reasoning behind it is because the upper layers of the atmosphere combine at night, actually making a transmission go farther. Many AM stations are required to do just that.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
The reason it fades out after dark is due to an FCC rule about reducing power output so it doesn't interfere with other radio stations throughout the US. The reasoning behind it is because the upper layers of the atmosphere combine at night, actually making a transmission go farther. Many AM stations are required to do just that.

Yup, a radio announcer for a tiny AM station once explained about that to me over a beer back in the 1970s -- back when you still had to get some sort of FCC radio-operator's license to be an announcer. He said, and I have noticed, that you can pick up AM stations from very far away after dark. Supposedly they can get WCCO in South America or whatever.

But of course, that's only if you have the kind of huge antennas people used to use when AM radio was big. The AM antennas built in to the standard radio today apparently are just no good at picking up signals from any distance. So my evening listening is pretty well reduced.

Come to think of it, though, you can supposedly listen online. I never have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Most AM antennae are copper wound ferrite bar antennae, built right into the receiver. All in all, they pretty much suck. At night, if I want to listen to AM, I usually have to be in my truck. :(

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Yup, I used to work for the campus radio station, and learned a lot from a grumpy engineer.

There are a (very) few "clear channel" AM stations allowed to broadcast at full power at night -- and they have nearly nationwide coverage at night. `CCO is, I think, one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

When I was a kid in California, I used to DX AM radio stations at night just to see what I could pick up. Of course, XERB out of Tijuana, broadcasting at several gazillion watts, would come in like gangbusters.

A small, low-powered FM station with a good antenna location can broadcast quite a distance. Back in the early 70s, I volunteered for KTAO radio, a 250 watt station with "studios" in Los Gatos, California--Silicon Valley. Our transmitter was on Mount Umunhum (sp?) and we could be heard quite well over a fairly large area. That meant I could annoy people in several counties with Balinese Monkey Chants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
When I was a kid in California, I used to DX AM radio stations at night just to see what I could pick up. Of course, XERB out of Tijuana, broadcasting at several gazillion watts, would come in like gangbusters. . ..

"Border Radio" is a recently published book about high-powered stations just across the Mexican border that used to pump out a widely heard bunch of programming. Lot of country music and Bible thumping, plus life-enhancing elixirs. You might look into it and do us a book report.

Sorry, guess we're drifting away from guns here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Not really...up until last summer I had a SONY radio that had an extremly bad antenna....thus I shot it with a pre 64 Winchester in 308, with a five shot group somewhare in 1 MOA.....................radio doesn't work any more, but the rifle still shoots sub-MOA...........

There, now we are back on track............... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 am 

You can listen to their intenetcast if you have broadband. Click on the "Listen live" button at
http://www.am1280thepatriot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:17 am 

Even some of the big guys have to change pattern and/or power after sunset. I used to work for KXEL, a 50kw, station in Waterloo, IA. Their pattern was omnidirectional during the day, but a north cardioid pattern after dark to protect a small station down in AR or TX. You can hear KXEL at night all the way north of Red Lake, Ontario, but you probably can't pick it up in the daytime north of the Twin Cities.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.