Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Gun newbie here, questions re: buying, trying, and education 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:52 pm 
Journeyman Member

Pakrat wrote:

I think if I were to buy a Glock (which I would like at least 1), I would look into replacing the trigger or removing the so-called safety.

Why would you remove it? I have two Glocks (30 & 33) and have never had a bit of trouble with the trigger safety. It just doesn't get in the way, and doesn't slow you down at all. On the other hand, modifying the weapon by having the safety removed could cause you some interesting explaining to do should you ever end up in court with an aggressive prosecuting attorney bent on showing how you modified your sidearm to make it easier to gun down "innocent" criminals.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gun newbie here, questions re: buying, trying, and educa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
2. Wait until the shooter's show, it is the absolute best thing you can do when you are looking to try a bunch of guns and narrow down your descision. A couple of weeks is nothing, when it saves you from buying a gun you don't actually like.

Just where and when is this shooter's show? I'm in the market for my first center-fire semi-auto. Lack of knowledge makes it difficult for one to decide what to buy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:20 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

For info on the shooter's show, goto http://www.billsgs.com

Bill's Gun Shop in Robbinsdale
March 31, April 1st and 2nd

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Packrat:

I put a NY (8lb) trigger kit in my G30, and you will not AD with that. Also, to use it in self defense it will protect from ND/AD if you have a shakey finger.....Understand that it is not a target trigger/gun then, but it works great...........I personally love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm 
Delicate Flower

Lots of good info ..........definately take Mark up on his offer !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
plblark wrote:
In most cases, it looks like it would. Looking at their literature, the purpose is snags and / or unfirm grips. So, it wouldn't handle the kid who picked it up correctly and pulled the trigger but would prevent snags and other accidental trigger pulls without a full grip.

Thinking about it, it is more feel good than useful..

With not even a quater inch on either side of the trigger safety, there is little protection against snags. Is 5% of protection worth the illusion of 50%?

I think if I were to buy a Glock (which I would like at least 1), I would look into replacing the trigger or removing the so-called safety.

I was speaking of the XD series and the combination of grip and trigger safety. I have pretty much ruled the Glock out for now because I'm not that comfortable with the trigger safety alone.

when I visited the Last Gunshop yesterday, he gave me an interesting idea re: AD when holstering. BAsically, while holstering, move your thumb to the hammer. If you feel the hammer move, you KNOW something is up. Not all guns have hammers, but in the case of the XD, shidfting the thumb position slightly should relieve preassure on the grip safety without compromizing your control of the weapon. That way, even if you snag something, you're not going to get an AD. Definitely something to ask the vendor rep at the shooter show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

The following is all in good fun:

The glock has three safeties. I have included a picture of each one below for your reference: :P

The XD has a fourth safety located on the grip:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: a .22 target pistol?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
Here's a radical notion: Consider a used .22 target pistol (semi or revolver). No big bang, no real recoil, but really cheap to buy, cheaper still to shoot, and you can work on shooting fundamentals while you wait for the chance to pick the right larger-caliber gun.

Heretic!

That idea has merit save for the other constraints I did not mention. My wife. To say she's not a gun person would be somewhat mild. She is more resigned to my purchase fo a handgun than supportive. That means that the first gun better be a good gun, and the training/handling/shooting/storage better be pristine. It also means, when combined with my budget, that there's probably only one gun/holster/belt/class combo in my near future.

Last edited by plblark on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: three safeties
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
The following is all in good fun:

The glock has three safeties. I have included a picture of each one below for your reference: :P

Heh, that's pretty accurate. Note how the brain stem looks like a trigger in that first picture?

Personally, I'm looking for a slight edge in the reflexive reaction department. Something short of the typical lever safety but not to the level of NO safety at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Save for those PC locking devices on some of the new revolvers - have you ever seen a safety on your TYPICAL service or hunting Revolver?

Here is a tip - keep your finger off of the trigger until you are sure of your target and ready to shoot.

Make sure that there are no obstructions in your hoster when re-holstering - or at any other time.

There are lots of us out here that have drawn and reholstered - 10,000+ times a year or more without incident with glocks - it is a matter of due caution as with any firearm.

There is no such thing as an AD IMHO ND (neglidgent Discharge) is more the proper term.

Remember that when handling a firearm - the race to get it into action should be the quick part - reholstering should be very very deliberate and slow. Reholstering is not a race.

Post subject: Re: re: three safeties
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Heh, that's pretty accurate. Note how the brain stem looks like a trigger in that first picture?
Guns on the brain, eh? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
There is no such thing as an AD IMHO ND (neglidgent Discharge) is more the proper term.
Sure there is. But for it to happen there has to be mechanical breakage. Broken sear, perhaps. Defects like that are rare, but they do happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
What should I buy (I know, here comes the flood... ). I SHOULD buy a revolver. the logical side of me points that direction... but I think I've fallen for a XD something :-)

Ahhh! these people don't know what they are talking about... Try this one Try that one... The definative answere is to (drum roll please)

BUY ONE OF EACH!

Then call me, when you find the ones that you can live without, I'll take them off your hands for $60 for a revolver and $65 for an auto! Now no belittling from the peanut gallery please! That is a whole $5 bucks more then the police are offering!
:lol: :lol:

Mostly-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

lastgunshop wrote:
Come by the shop here and I will take time out to sit down with you and talk about everthing you what to know and can show you many things like guns ammo etc.....

You still allowed to do that Mark? I'd hate to see you get in trouble! :roll:

Mostly-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
plblark wrote:
What should I buy (I know, here comes the flood... ). I SHOULD buy a revolver. the logical side of me points that direction... but I think I've fallen for a XD something :-)

Ahhh! these people don't know what they are talking about... Try this one Try that one... The definative answere is to (drum roll please)

BUY ONE OF EACH!

Then call me, when you find the ones that you can live without, I'll take them off your hands for $60 for a revolver and $65 for an auto! Now no belittling from the peanut gallery please! That is a whole $5 bucks more then the police are offering!
:lol: :lol:

Mostly-

Gee, you're practically a saint :-) and providing such a public service with absolutely NO self serving motives at ALL.

:-) Thanks for the offer, I think I';ll pass ;-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.