Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mahnomen County Deputy Critically Wounded 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:48 pm 

How's he doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:
How's he doing?

KVLY TV from Fargo is doing a story tonight. If there's a link I'll post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:39 am 

:shock: Sounds like he's doing pretty good all things considered http://www.valleynewslive.tv/artman2/pu ... 0619.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for posting the link. I went to bed.

Post subject: Re: Mahnomen County Deputy Critically Wounded
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:03 am 
Longtime Regular

INJUSTICE

Accomplice in Dewey shooting sentenced to 24 months in prison

Quote:

By: Jason Adkins, Detroit Lakes Tribune
MAHNOMEN, Minn. — The wife of injured Mahnomen County Sheriff’s Deputy Christopher Dewey implored during a sentencing hearing Wednesday for Daniel Kurt Vernier to answer why her husband was shot earlier this year.

Vernier, the admitted accomplice of the man accused of shooting Dewey, was sentenced to 24 months in prison for his role in the incident during the hearing.

Emily Dewey, in making her first visit back to Mahnomen since her husband was transferred to Colorado for medical treatment, said that the shooting turned her and Dewey’s life upside down. However, she said she may never know why her husband was shot.

“Only you, Fairbanks and God knows what went on that day,” she said to Vernier.

Dewey wasn’t the only person to speak during Wednesday’s hearing. The Mahnomen county attorney stated she didn’t believe Vernier was apologetic for his actions the morning Deputy Dewey was shot. And the Mahnomen County sheriff told the court he thought Dewey was going to die from his gunshot wounds.

Vernier, 27, pleaded guilty in July to the charge of failure to render assistance to the wounded deputy. Vernier also was sentenced to 30 months in prison on an unrelated domestic violence charge that had been suspended.

He could be out of prison in less than 18 months because of time served and due to the fact that only two-thirds of the sentence is served in prison, while the other third is spent in supervised release if Vernier maintains good behavior.

Vernier also will have to testify in the trial of the accused shooter, Thomas Fairbanks, and pay a portion of restitution that will be due as a result of Dewey’s injuries.

His testimony is needed because aggravating factors need to be proved to lengthen Fairbanks’ prison time if he is found guilty.

“It’s going to be essential because there were other shootings that were happening besides Chris,” said Mahnomen County Attorney Julie Bruggeman on Vernier’s testimony. “There were shootings in the house aimed at Vernier and at law enforcement, which will aggravate the sentence a little bit.

“This is someone who is dangerous and that we don’t want out on the streets,” Bruggeman said of Fairbanks.

Dewey was shot early in the morning on Feb. 18 in Mahnomen. He is undergoing extensive rehabilitation therapy at Craig Hospital in Englewood, Colo.

Before Ninth District Judge Michael Kraker pronounced sentence, he gave victims of the crime an opportunity to address the court and Vernier.

Emily Dewey went on to tell the court that these past months have been hell and she implored Vernier to do something with his life.

“You’ve spent your life as a criminal, do something with it,” she said.

Chris Dewey’s stepmother, Jennifer Dewey, said her stepson lost the chance to say goodbye to his grandfather, who died recently.

“You helped by not acting,” she said.

Mahnomen County Sheriff Doug Krier showed anger in his remarks.

“I thought I was going to go to a funeral,” he said of seeing Dewey for the first time in the hospital lying on a table. “That pissed me off. There was no reason for that.”

For such a small sheriff’s department, the shooting is a burden to the public because Dewey is needed and his injuries left the department shorthanded, Krier said.

Vernier’s girlfriend, Rachel Fairbanks, who is also the sister of the accused shooter said her family has been victims as well.

She is the mother of Vernier’s three children, including twins who were born a few months after the shooting.

“You’ve been in our thoughts and prayers,” Rachel Fairbanks said of the Dewey’s.

But she said that because of the shooting, her family has suffered repercussions.

“I’ve been ostracized as well,” she said.

After the sentencing hearing, Rachel Fairbanks said that Vernier has another chance at turning his life around from a life of crime.

“Danny has been given another opportunity at life,” she said.

Vernier didn’t make a statement.

Bruggeman said that despite pleading guilty, she feels that Vernier hasn’t accepted responsibility.

“Do I think he’s taken responsibility for his actions yet? In my opinion I don’t think so,” Bruggeman said.

Vernier will be transported to the Minnesota Correctional Facility in St. Cloud where it will be determined what prison he’ll eventually serve the bulk of his sentence.

Fairbanks faces an omnibus hearing in November, with a tentative trial date in late January or February.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:40 am 

Read the journal that Deputy Dewey's wife Emily has been keeping and then decide for yourself if 18 months is fair punishment:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisdewey

My reaction is not only "no" but "hell no."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

#1: Wood shed

#2: .30-06

#3: Shovel

#4: Lyme

#5 Cold beer

#6 Justice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fubar wrote:
Read the journal that Deputy Dewey's wife Emily has been keeping and then decide for yourself if 18 months is fair punishment:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisdewey

My reaction is not only "no" but "hell no."

I have been getting the daily email updates. I encourage everyone to post an encouraging note in the guest book. Emily reads them, she reads them to Chris, and she very much appreciates them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

We always say that in a defensive shooting to not look at the LEO as our friend and buddy but as someone who is not on our side, as someone who may work against us. We are to clam up and ask for a lawyer.

But when something like this happens it pisses me off at the scum bag who did this :evil: The cops have helped me when i have been injured or in an accident and i appreciate and respect them for that. They do put their lives on the line - and this shows what can happen at any moment to any one of them.
That this guy would only get 18 months is unreal, he should have to do longer and that crap about time off for time served and if he is a good prisoner getting out earlier...... I feel that when he gets a job that they garnish his wages to help pay for some of the medical costs. that they leave him only what is needed to survive so that he can stay healthy and continue working and making money to pay for the Deputys care.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 am 
Longtime Regular

You'd think the least these two guys could have done is shot themselves in the process.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.