Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Experiment with open Carry 
 Post subject: Experiment with open Carry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

As a proponent of CONCEALED carry

I decided that I would try something - I went ot my local grocery store conspicuously open carrying a firearm - firing hand side with a double mag pouch on my support side.

I walked throught the store - with a large firearm on my hip a double mag pouch in a t-shirt and jeans. Location #1 - NOBODY COMMENTED OR EVEN LOOKED TWICE (oblivious)

I went to the CUB down the way from the first store - same scenario - same result

HUMMMMM.... No wonder that people are victims - they are absolutely oblivious to their surroundings. I will mention this - I was very very nervous about the whole experiment - funny since I had been carrying for so long concealed.

Interesting - nobody and I mean nobody appeared to notice - I would look back as people passed me - NOTHING.

You would think that people would notice such things.. Perhaps I expect too much out of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not surprised. Well, maybe very, very slightly. Most people are not scanning everybody they see--giving gthem the once-over. In a grocery store, the only thing they'll notice about you is if you're standing by the lemons when that's where they want to be.

I love it when people carrying concealed obsess about "printing." Frankly, you have to go some to get most people's attention to the fact that you're carrying. If I were to walk into a Cub with my AK47 slung over my shoulder--that might get their attention. Emphasis on the word "might."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

You are not the only one who has observed this.

People (guys mostly) always seem to have stuff on their belts nowdays with cellphones, pagers, pdas and the like. I once spoke to the neighbor for like 20 minutes before he figured out I had a pistol on my hip.

Would be interesting to try this with a shoulder holster to see if you get the same response.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:51 pm 
1911 tainted

We get together with the kids at one of those Buffalo Wings restaurant every couple of weeks and basically pig out on wings. The kids enjoy it, college students on a limited budget, basically all they can eat on my tab and then showing up the old people on the trivia game.
Last week we went, must had been there for an hour or so when I heard wood hit wood, which was the exposed grip of my 1911, carried in an IWB holster, hitting the back of a chair. The place was fairly crowded, I looked around and it appears that nobody had noticed it at all, but then again I am not sure how long it had been exposed, I figured when I took my coat off it pull my sweatshirt up.
I think, unless you are good looking and shapely, which I ain't, most people wouldn't notice me or what is sticking out of my pants.

And yes, I am one of those that believe a weapon should be carried concealled, for several reasons. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:57 pm 

cobb wrote:
We get together with the kids at one of those Buffalo Wings restaurant every couple of weeks and basically pig out on wings. The kids enjoy it, college students on a limited budget, basically all they can eat on my tab and then showing up the old people on the trivia game.
Last week we went, must had been there for an hour or so when I heard wood hit wood, which was the exposed grip of my 1911, carried in an IWB holster, hitting the back of a chair. The place was fairly crowded, I looked around and it appears that nobody had noticed it at all, but then again I am not sure how long it had been exposed, I figured when I took my coat off it pull my sweatshirt up.
I think, unless you are good looking and shapely, which I ain't, most people wouldn't notice me or what is sticking out of my pants.

And yes, I am one of those that believe a weapon should be carried concealled, for several reasons. 8)

I dont necessarily think that open carry is the way to go - but like I said my experiment was a success in a way - Nobody either notices or cares - in ways I am glad that we have a carry law - not a CCW LAw -

Your jacket or shirt inadvertantly rides up - you are not a criminal. I prefer to be discrete whenever possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
...most people wouldn't notice me or what is sticking out of my pants.

WELL, ahhh :oops: :oops: :oops:

So if you decide to test this theory, besure and let the forum readers know how it goes :lol: :lol: Just hope its not your snubby - which is for POCKET carry!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:00 pm 
1911 tainted

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
cobb wrote:
...most people wouldn't notice me or what is sticking out of my pants.

WELL, ahhh :oops: :oops: :oops:

So if you decide to test this theory, besure and let the forum readers know how it goes :lol: :lol: Just hope its not your snubby - which is for POCKET carry!

Mostly-

Just what I thought, take and accurate and innocent description and make it into something dirty. Get your head out of the gutter. :P :P :P :P :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sorry, can't help it, it is with the rest of my body! Getting old sucks!

Could today take just a bit longer to finish?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Reminds me of the MASH episode where Hawkeye walked through the camp wearing only his dog tags to prove people were too wrapped up in their own little world.

I usually carry with the Smartcarry or shoulder rig and used to worry about printing but people are just plain blind. My biggest worry is an over zealous LEO.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 pm 
On time out

Good for you Pinnacle you have starter breaking the ice for open carry. It's going to take more but most won't do anything. As we have seen on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:07 pm 
The Man

Blackhorse wrote:
Good for you Pinnacle you have starter breaking the ice for open carry. It's going to take more but most won't do anything. As we have seen on this forum.
Well, no, Mark. What we've seen on the Forum is that most folks will take their time and do what makes sense to them on the issue -- as Pinnacle did, and as I hope all would, even if doing different things make sense -- rather than leaping to go with the latest flavor of the week just because somebody has sounded the charge. (It's Friday; the forecast is for mixed metaphors, with scattered similes.)

Others will, as some do, carry openly routinely.

Others will decide that it's a generally bad idea, for tactical reasons, and not go along with it.

Others will decide that carrying openly but choosing the occasions for open carry in a cautious, judicious manner (as at least several Forum members have seen me do), is the way to go, at least for now, as a tradeoff for acceptance vs. the tactical considerations.

Still others will criticize folks who carry openly, as, say, you used to -- say, in the wake of Bruce Krafft carrying openly at the Mall of America. (You weren't alone in criticizing that, by the way; I thought it unwise, and told Bruce that. I didn't think it was the right place, the right time, or the right strategy -- even though I did and do think that Bruce had good intentions.)

Gaining acceptance for open carry may be important -- I'm undecided -- but there's no good reason that I've seen to think that it's urgent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Blackhorse wrote:

There is a sizeable difference between "won't" and choose not to.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 pm 

Not for the purpose of breaking the ice - perhaps people did notice I dont know - this was a test

A test to see what peoples reaction would be - I am always interested in people - and the things that they notice -

Would I make a regular thing out of open carry - I don't think so as I do not feel it is a really great idea for a lot of reasons.

I find it interesting that people really are that oblivious. I tend to noticethings and size up everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:35 pm 
On time out

joelr wrote:
Well, no, Mark.
Another Well, no, Mark. or no I don't think you off base, I think you are wrong comment. Lets make a deal here I won't comment on your remarks and you don't comment on mine. Because I know I'm awalys wrong. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:46 pm 

There is a reason so many cops are killed with their own firearms. And most of them have a LOT more weapon retention training than the average permit holder.

Me, I don't really give a damn whether or not the sheeple are accepting of open carry, and I have yet to hear one good reason why open carry is a good idea in any situation where I would not be holding a rifle in my hands, so I choose not to do it.

IMO, he complete and utter absence of situational awareness in the soccer-mom and euphorian-dad crowd really doesn't have relevance to a discussion of the merits of open carry. The criminals who are targeting individuals to rob, assault or rape definately are aware of you, your willingness to make eye contact, and a whole lot else about you, including whether or not you are advertising that you carry a gun by wearing it in plain sight. Talking about the cluelessness of soccer moms in a discussion about open carry is akin to talking about criminals in a discussion about permits and handguns. The drama meter may max out, but the relevance meter is stuck at zero and holding.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.