Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Experiment with open Carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Woodchuck wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
I'll be the one packing heat and wearing a "Celebrate Divisity" t-shirt with a bunch of guns on it!

Mostly-

Where can I get that shirt?!

http://www.thoseshirts.com/diversityfront.html

The new ones have the saying on the front so it isn't covered by my cover garment - lest I offend some of the "moral conservatives"

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 am 

http://www.thoseshirts.com/diversityfront.html

The new ones have the saying on the front so it isn't covered by my cover garment - lest I offend some of the "moral conservatives"

Some of us Pink Pistols have thought about buying some of these shirts to wear at Gay Pride to go with all the other "celebrate diversity" shirts other gay groups wear..

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:21 am 

What I take (passionate) issue with is the notion that we should not exercise our rights because someone will get offended.

Just to clarify my position again: I could care less about offending anyone. I just don't see any tangible benefit to open carry, and I see some serious downsides to it that could have a negative effect on my ability to stay alive, so I don't do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Just a thought about open carry.

A couple of years ago, I stayed in a nice hotel in Dallas and at breakfast I was busy munching away when a COP in his Civvies, badge, gun and all. He takes off his coat and sits down at the table in front of me, with his back towards me. Unremarkable, except he was carrying a 1911 in a jackass rig and I looked up to see the big black hole pointing right at me.
I politely walked around to the front of his table and asked him if he would mind putting his jacket back on, as I didn’t like the view. This 6’4/5” cop stands up and tells me in his most intimidating voice that he is a COP and he is required to carry a firearm and that he will not be putting his jacket on while he is eating. I asked him for his business card, thanked him politely, stepped around the corner and called his station.
He received a call on his cell about 5 seconds after I hung up with the desk sergeant after which he put his jacket on and growled something unintelligible. I walked back to his table, all sweetness and light, thanked him for his courtesy and returned his business card, sat down and finished munching.

The point of my rambling is that while we have the right to open carry, we should show some understanding of the feelings of others. I agree with Mostly’s stand about doing the most prudent thing to protect his family ( know the discussion didn’t include a situation, but it will at some time), but we should be a little careful who we upset, as we don’t know what kind of hornets nest we might be kicking over. It is possible to upset someone who can do our cause much harm, when we could solve the situation simply by covering up.

My .02.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10 am 
1911 tainted

Selurcspi wrote:
My .02.

A very good .02 though. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:12 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I am glad that I could start a 5 page thread with a post - some thoughtful posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 am 

Hi,

New guy here. I've been reading the forum for a bit and decided it was time to join and actually jump in here and participate. :shock:

I just received my permit about 2 weeks ago. I'm also new to this area (Minnesota) and the whole carry permit issue. So, if some of my comments or questions appear basic it's because I'm still trying to get a handle on it.

It seems to me there are a two basic sides when it comes to the open carry issue. There are probably others but these are the two I have seen the most on this board. One side seems to be of the opinion that open carry needs to be done as soon as possible, and the other side is that it needs to be done in a slower more deliberate way.

Regardless of what "side" you are on what is it that you hope to accomplish? In other words, is it just an issue of it's my right under the law, is it a matter of convenience, a political statement or is it that the more comfortable people become with seeing others carrying the less chance we have of our right being attacked and possibly reduced or even taken away?

Next question. Is there a specific or formal group that is set up to advance the open carry issue in Minnesota? Something like the NRA but more state specific. If not, has there been any attempt to coordinate one or is it still at the grassroots level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

TC95GT wrote:
Hi,

New guy here. I've been reading the forum for a bit and decided it was time to join and actually jump in here and participate. :shock:

I just received my permit about 2 weeks ago. I'm also new to this area (Minnesota) and the whole carry permit issue. So, if some of my comments or questions appear basic it's because I'm still trying to get a handle on it.

It seems to me there are a two basic sides when it comes to the open carry issue. There are probably others but these are the two I have seen the most on this board. One side seems to be of the opinion that open carry needs to be done as soon as possible, and the other side is that it needs to be done in a slower more deliberate way.

Regardless of what "side" you are on what is it that you hope to accomplish? In other words, is it just an issue of it's my right under the law, is it a matter of convenience, a political statement or is it that the more comfortable people become with seeing others carrying the less chance we have of our right being attacked and possibly reduced or even taken away?

Next question. Is there a specific or formal group that is set up to advance the open carry issue in Minnesota? Something like the NRA but more state specific. If not, has there been any attempt to coordinate one or is it still at the grassroots level?

The media has a habbit of equating gun with bad guy or red neck. Lack of incidences involving permit holders is one way to fight that spin, but who will report it? Not the media, if its not bleeding then its not leading. If the average Joe and Jane get use to seeing a clean cut individual carring a gun and NOT committing a crime then they are forced to question what is being force fed to them through the media. I saw a lady with a gun and she didn't shoot anyone! WOW!

This is not my intention. I open carry when I drive for ease of access - this is all I hope to accomplish. I belive BigRob's description fits me really well - "I'm a causual concealer"

I don't belive there is an "open carry" club, nor do I believe anyone is trying to coordinate one and I think many would advise against it.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

TC95GT wrote:

I think there are as many answers to that question as there are open carriers.

There is a legitimate argument that if it's legal, we should do it once in a while to remind people that it is, because a right never exercised is a right lost.

There is a legitimate argument that the careful introduction of open carry into society may change minds about the gun issue in a positive way.

There is an equally legitimate argument that reckless introduction of open carry could polarize opinion against carry laws.

There is a very legitimate argument that there is a great tactical personal tactical advantage to keeping it concealed, so that you aren't a target for a gun grab or preemptively shot in a robbery.

There is also a legitimate argument that there is a societal strategic advantage to concealing, so that the bad guys never knw who may be carrying.

There is a related legitimate argument that a small fraction open carrying may enhance the above advantage by reminding the bad guys that for every openly carried gun they see, there are probably fifty concealed.

There is a legitimate argument that open carrying may lead to more interest in carry permits, leading to more permit holders and a stronger political base.

And there's definitely a commercial argument: I'll bet if I open carried everywhere I'd have a lot more conversation that would result in people signing up for my carry class.

But I'm not quite compfortable enough with the idea to do that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:56 am 

I suppose that next time that I try and experiment - I will just keep my mouth shut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
I suppose that next time that I try and experiment - I will just keep my mouth shut.

Why? This topic brought out some strong opinions and some strong arguments. As such, I see it as a positive thing.

Even if some don't agree with your decision, we can all learn from its outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Of all the people who posted that you did a bad thing, how many supporters have not said anything? You have not done anything wrong. This forum is the right place to discuss these things. You get a lot of varying positions. I enjoy the discussions.

My opinions so far-

Open carry as a demonstration:

Sends a message that we are getting fed up with criminals. But, a great public speaker would be needed for the cameras. A woman would be good. But, would news cover it?

Mark K's goal in having the cameras there would comfort the people in that area (only). So they do not freak out. But, a group of people shopping with guns isn't really news. The newsworthy part would be the mass of people, but I think they would have to be demonstrating to get covered.

Then again, any public demostrations could tip off the anti-gun crowd. Then they may get all up in arms and demonstrate and protest.

Laying low is a good idea. What the anti's don't see, won't piss them off.

Open carrying on your own:

Do it. But, be prepared to get asked questions. DO NOT BE A SMARTASS. This is your time to educate people.

Even if someone doesn't say anything doesn't mean they didn't see it.

You could go anywhere late at night. I'd guess that either people won't look at you, or they might understand why you're carrying.

Carry open during the day, little more risky because people don't understand why you're carrying. Daylight = SAFE environment to anti's. Anti's seem to push this way of thinking. 'Criminals are only out at night.'

If you go to a gas station, who would care? A coffee shop, expect a few calls to the cops.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

If the average Joe and Jane get use to seeing a clean cut individual carring a gun

Mostly-

Well, that leaves ME out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:15 pm 

What I did was an experiment - I do not consider it right or wrong - I prefer to conceal carry - Never having open carried ever before for any reason - I was meerely interested in what would happen and if anyone would notice.

I have posted here and in other places that open carry is not a great habit for a lot of reasons.

Here is the thing - right wrong or indifferent it was an experiment and nothing more - not a habit or something that I would do as a course fo normal doing business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

And it was a good experiment.

I think that I may decide to carry openly from time to time, especially at places like the grocery store where I don't feel at a tactical disadvantage. I think it could be a great teaching tool.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.