Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Experiment with open Carry 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Widge wrote:

5) Using 'open carry' as a method of demonstration or an exercise of our constitutional rights is a two edged sword; the antis will use it as ammo (no pun intended) to prove that we want to walk around brazenly terrorizing soccer moms, the feeble minded, and the elderly with our evil bangsticks ('why couldn't he keep it covered, at least?, I woz terrified!'); those in favor won't even comment. As to whether people stereotype you as a 'raving gun nut' just waiting to go 'postal' when they see your holstered handgun, we won't change their minds by ramming the 2nd amendment down their throats...

To strain the metaphor, I think there are another couple of edges to the sword. Beside a) the antis and b) those in favor, there are c) those-on-the-fence and d) those-who-never-though-of-the-issue.

The fence-sitters may, in the end, come to realize that they have seen peacable folk with guns, and come over to our side, realizing that law-abiding citizens with guns aren't a threat.

The one who never considered the issue very much (like me, for instance, five years ago), seeing the open carry may be a wake-up call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:57 pm 
Delicate Flower

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Widge wrote:

5) Using 'open carry' as a method of demonstration or an exercise of our constitutional rights is a two edged sword; the antis will use it as ammo (no pun intended) to prove that we want to walk around brazenly terrorizing soccer moms, the feeble minded, and the elderly with our evil bangsticks ('why couldn't he keep it covered, at least?, I woz terrified!'); those in favor won't even comment. As to whether people stereotype you as a 'raving gun nut' just waiting to go 'postal' when they see your holstered handgun, we won't change their minds by ramming the 2nd amendment down their throats...

To strain the metaphor, I think there are another couple of edges to the sword. Beside a) the antis and b) those in favor, there are c) those-on-the-fence and d) those-who-never-though-of-the-issue.

The fence-sitters may, in the end, come to realize that they have seen peacable folk with guns, and come over to our side, realizing that law-abiding citizens with guns aren't a threat.

The one who never considered the issue very much (like me, for instance, five years ago), seeing the open carry may be a wake-up call.

You are quite correct, but (and a big 'but' it is)if we are going to do this kind of thing, and get a favorable result from it; we need a well managed and well directed propogan....err...publicity effort to counter the 'all access' pass the antis already have to the media. Until we have that in place (I know, I know, the NRA etc etc) we are fighting from behind. There is a limit to what we can do locally, we need a new national organization with some publically recognizable and credible figureheads behind it or we will be condemned to fight the same old battles ad infinitum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:57 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Andrew

Sitting the fence is where I am with open carry at this time. While I know it is your right to do so - perhaps prudence is the best option.

I have learned the following -

Perhaps the only people that really care about open carry is - well us.....

I suppose that the next thread that I start will be titled - "How many Greek Gods can dance on the head of a pin?"

I think that the debate will take the same tone and substance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Andrew

Sitting the fence is where I am with open carry at this time.

Oh, me too. I'm just not ready to dismiss any open carry as a means of P.R. as without merit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

If it is warm enought this weekend, I may have to open carry.

My wife asks why I carry 3 guns sometimes and I say, "because I can and want to see if it is difficult to do." That way if you feel you should you know what method works for you.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:18 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Oh, me too. I'm just not ready to dismiss any open carry as a means of P.R. as without merit.

On the other hand, I am not willing to accept PR as it's only virtue (nobody else has offered any other logical virtues of open carry in the previous 6 pages......) without any evidence that it would be positive PR. IMO, the RKBA is not like Hollywood, where ANY publicity is good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Many positive reasons for open carry have been offered. If you don't agree with any, that's fine.

Still, Reaver3 undeniably accomplished something positive with open carry.

Others have reported generating additional interest in permits among people who never would have considered it, and it can certainly spark reasoned conversations.

After I let on at work that I am a firearms instructor, people who I never might have suspected were interested came out of the woodwork and started asking good questions.

If we are too hidden, no one will even know we're here. That's fine, tactically, individually, but it does nothing to advance the pro-rights agenda. And if we're not moving forward, we're falling behind.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.