Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Training from Suarez 
 Post subject: Training from Suarez
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:26 pm 
1911 tainted

Has anybody here taken any classes from Suarez?

http://www.suarezinternational.com/2006classes/crg-hibbing2006.html

I and a friend are signed up for his Close Range Gunfighting class in Hibbing on August 12th & 13th. I try to get into a class or so every year to help advance my ability, even though you can't tell it when I am shooting an IDPA course. :oops: Last year I did manage two classes, a Final Option and a Front Sight class. This year I am signed up for the Level II Defensive Handgun class given by FRI, the class that phorvick set up, and the Suarez class.

So any suggestions on Suarez, or maybe some suggestions that I can look at for next year?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

My, one could spend a "bit" of money at that place!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm 
1911 tainted

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

Mostly-

Yes, I agree. And I have zero problem spending that "bit" of money so that I am well versed in protecting myself and my family.

And yes, I spend that "bit" of money to repair may brakes, and do preventative maintenance on our family car, because that "bit" of money spent can save a bunch of money later and also keep my family out of a harmful situations because the family car fails for a lack of a "bit" of preventative action.

I apologies if I took your "bit" in the wrong context, but I also don't carry a Hi Point for a "bit" of self protection. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have his Combat Markmanship book and has helped me with many areas including my reloading, grip, drawing, failure handling and accuracy.

I'll have to see if there is room in the checkbook for the class. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:

Mostly-

Yes, I agree. And I have zero problem spending that "bit" of money so that I am well versed in protecting myself and my family.

And yes, I spend that "bit" of money to repair may brakes, and do preventative maintenance on our family car, because that "bit" of money spent can save a bunch of money later and also keep my family out of a harmful situations because the family car fails for a lack of a "bit" of preventative action.

I apologies if I took your "bit" in the wrong context, but I also don't carry a Hi Point for a "bit" of self protection. :?

You did, The bit I was speaking to is in the same league of "I could spend a bit of money at the gun show" It was not a reflection on their prices, but rather a measure of interest in their content as in there are many classes I would like to attend there.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:47 am 
1911 tainted

cobb wrote:

Mostly-

You did, The bit I was speaking to is in the same league of "I could spend a bit of money at the gun show" It was not a reflection on their prices, but rather a measure of interest in their content as in there are many classes I would like to attend there.

Mostly-

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I guess I just take some things too seriously.

Last edited by cobb on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
cobb wrote:

Mostly-

Mostly-

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I guess I just take some things to seriously.

AND WELL YOU SHOULD be - NOW "I" would never jump to conclusions! nor fly off the handle... :lol: :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject: Re: Training from Suarez
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:55 am 

cobb wrote:

I and a friend are signed up for his Close Range Gunfighting class in Hibbing on August 12th & 13th. I try to get into a class or so every year to help advance my ability, even though you can't tell it when I am shooting an IDPA course. :oops: Last year I did manage two classes, a Final Option and a Front Sight class. This year I am signed up for the Level II Defensive Handgun class given by FRI, the class that phorvick set up, and the Suarez class.

So any suggestions on Suarez, or maybe some suggestions that I can look at for next year?

I'll be interested to get hear how the class was after you take it.

There was a not so flattering article on one of his classes in SWAT magazine a couple of months ago. In fact the author took two classes of his and actually left halfway through the second class stating there was multiple safety violations that were never corrected in both classes. Actually, he said the final straw was when Gabe went downrange and stood next to a target and had an associate shoot the target that was next to Gabe, "just so he could remember what it was like."

I have two buddies, one is a former Army Ranger and the other is a former Marine, that were also going to take the class in Hibbing and after I showed them this article, they decided not to go.

This article had such a negative tone to it that I was surprised that they actually printed it for fear of it being looked at as slanderous.

Looking at his website, there are lots of glowing reviews from former students. So I don't know what to think.

If you're looking for stuff to do next year, John Farnham usually comes around at least once a year to do some training. He comes highly recommended. http://www.defense-training.com/

And The Chapman Academy down in Columbia, Missouri also has a very good reputation. They're both on my list if I get the chance.
http://chapmanacademy.com/about.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:58 am 
1911 tainted

keith wrote:
cobb wrote:

There was a not so flattering article on one of his classes in SWAT magazine a couple of months ago. In fact the author took two classes of his and actually left halfway through the second class stating there was multiple safety violations that were never corrected in both classes. Actually, he said the final straw was when Gabe went downrange and stood next to a target and had an associate shoot the target that was next to Gabe, "just so he could remember what it was like."

I have two buddies, one is a former Army Ranger and the other is a former Marine, that were also going to take the class in Hibbing and after I showed them this article, they decided not to go.

This article had such a negative tone to it that I was surprised that they actually printed it for fear of it being looked at as slanderous.

Looking at his website, there are lots of glowing reviews from former students. So I don't know what to think.

If you're looking for stuff to do next year, John Farnham usually comes around at least once a year to do some training. He comes highly recommended. http://www.defense-training.com/

And The Chapman Academy down in Columbia, Missouri also has a very good reputation. They're both on my list if I get the chance.

Man, that's really not what I wanted to hear. :shock:

How about a link to the article that you refer to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:16 am 

About the best I can do right now is this http://www.swatmag.com/archive_2005/dec05.html/

Scroll down for a short description of the article by author John Aaron.

I think I gave the magazine to a friend after I read it.

You can download the old mags for $4.99.
I'll do some more digging and see if anyone has posted the article somewhere.

Edit
Ok. Looks like you have to go into the archives section since the address didn't go where it should have. December 2005 magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:02 am 
Journeyman Member

Gabe Suarez is a monthly contributor to Concealed Carry Magazine. You can check their website http://www.concealedcarrymag.com/ and click on Sample Article 06.pdf, which appears towards the bottom of the home page, to see one of Suarez's articles and get a flavor of his style.

Last edited by APD on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: That seated shooting line gives me the heebie jeebies
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

It's tactical, it's real world, and it has TONS of muzzle sweep potential. That would NOT be a comfortable class for me at the moment.

Perhaps I'm over reacting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:23 am 

Still digging. I'll try and find a certain GlockTalk thread on exactly this magazine article and link it here. If I remember Gabe even chimes in at one point in this 5 page thread.

Take what you want from it. You get both sides of the story.

Post subject: Here is a link
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:43 pm 

keith wrote:
Still digging. I'll try and find a certain GlockTalk thread on exactly this magazine article and link it here. If I remember Gabe even chimes in at one point in this 5 page thread.

Take what you want from it. You get both sides of the story.

http://tinyurl.com/mncha

I've read the thread, I'll pass on Gabe, but each to his own

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 pm 

keith wrote:
cobb wrote:

John Skaggs, who took over Chapman Academy from Ray Chapman had a serious stroke last summer and to my knowledge is no longer teach. That said I've took a class at Chapman in 4/2003 and got a LOT out of it, Chapman Academy is still worth looking at, just set your expectations accordingly.

I friend from CO has taken several Gabe classes and has thought well of them. But given the safety issues expressed in the SWAT article and the number of quality instructures around, I'd pass on Gabe as well.

There are lots of other quality schools or instructors who travel to MN. Farnham is one, Final Option out of St. Cloud is another. LFI comes to MN and WI. Just some of the many training options out there.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.