Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wanted: Advice On Selling/Trading A Handgun 
 Post subject: Wanted: Advice On Selling/Trading A Handgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

OK, so I was at Gunstop and saw a revolver I want. Only problem? Can't really justify spending the money so I want to sell or trade one of my 1911s. Per the rules here, this does not constitute a 'For Sale' offer, rather I'm looking for general advice, as I've never sold a gun, so please advise me on the what's the best way to go:

1. Trade the 1911 to Gunstop for the revolver. Convenient, but would I get a decent price?

2. Sell the 1911 on an auction site. Seems like it might get me the best money but of course I don't want to deal with the waiting, shipping to an FFL, paperwork, whatever. Or is it really pretty easy?

3. Post a For Sale card at local ranges, etc.?

4. Sell it on consignment at Bill's or someplace?

5. Gun show?

Something I haven't thought of? Anyway thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Guys, rules are rules. Private messages are a different matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:43 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't think I've ever heard a guy say he was glad he sold one gun to buy another. (unless the gun he dumped was a booger)

I've heard a million guys say they regret selling a gun.

Can you put the one you want on layaway? Maybe find a new credit card with no interest for six months?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard a guy say he was glad he sold one gun to buy another. (unless the gun he dumped was a booger)

I've heard a million guys say they regret selling a gun.

Can you put the one you want on layaway? Maybe find a new credit card with no interest for six months?

Heh, I've heard all the same things. And another credit card is the LAST thing I need! Thanks, though.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Advice On Selling/Trading A Handgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:51 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
OK, so I was at Gunstop and saw a revolver I want. Only problem? Can't really justify spending the money so I want to sell or trade one of my 1911s. Per the rules here, this does not constitute a 'For Sale' offer, rather I'm looking for general advice, as I've never sold a gun, so please advise me on the what's the best way to go:

1. Trade the 1911 to Gunstop for the revolver. Convenient, but would I get a decent price?

Very convenient. Decent price - doubtful. I'm guessing, maybe half what you paid??

2. Sell the 1911 on an auction site. Seems like it might get me the best money but of course I don't want to deal with the waiting, shipping to an FFL, paperwork, whatever. Or is it really pretty easy?

I've had some guns I wanted to sell, so I looked into this somewhat. Pretty easy, if you sell to somebody within Minnesota. Things get tricky trying to ship out of state, without an FFL. Lots of regulations, and very expensive!

Easy and free, but lousy coverage.

Might be the best bet. I understand Bill's charges 20%.

5. Gun show?

If you mean setting up your own booth, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this would require an FFL. Would also likely be pricey, for one gun. Or selling to somebody there - who knows??

Something I haven't thought of? Anyway thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.

I'm not an expert - just my thoughts.

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:42 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:

Howard is the exception, he generally marks guns for $50 more than he paid you for them, so the price is dent if the gun is maketable, like a Glock, Sig, etc. EAA different deal.

5. Gun show?

Option 6 - You can post it on our Yahoo forum
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/twincitiesidpa/

Not a lot of members, but most are gun guys who teach, and locate guns for their friends. I'll put it in this weekends newsletter if you want and you can put it on the safety table at TC on 4/9 or Minnetonka on 4/16.

I'll only do this for active IDPA members as a club service.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:51 am 
Longtime Regular

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Option 6 - You can post it on our Yahoo forum
Did that, thanks for the suggestion.

IDPA Shooter wrote:
I'll put it in this weekends newsletter if you want
That would be cool, here's a link to my Yahoo post so you don't have to go looking: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/twincitie ... ssage/1451

IDPA Shooter wrote:
and you can put it on the safety table at TC on 4/9 or Minnetonka on 4/16.
I'm hoping to be there!

Many thanks,
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:50 am 
Forum Moderator

I think selling guns is always a compromise between a timely, simple sale and maximum dollar return.

I think the ugly reality is that the wholesale price of most used guns isn't nearly as high as we think it should be relative to the retail prices one sees, which makes the simple trade-in sale less than financially rewarding.

Maybe I'm a spendthrift, but I always am a sucker for the easy way out, but I justify the money "loss" as actually time purchased, since you can spend a great deal of time trying to sell something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I just hate to part with any of my guns (as my wife will attest) because they all have meaning for me from the selection, purchase, use and sometimes because I built them myself.
I just hate to part with any of my guns!

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

My taste in guns has changed over time. And the guns I own reflect that. In fact, I have one now that I am thinking of trading for something I would use more often.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.