Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Virginia Carry Law 
 Post subject: Virginia Carry Law
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 am 

Hello,

I'm about to take a trip to Virginia, and am looking for a link to the statutes concerning carry in Virginia. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Ya know, you can just call me. :lol:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:49 am 

mrokern wrote:
Ya know, you can just call me. :lol:

SMARTA$$ :!:

*mutters something that sounds like gratitude*

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

The one thing I can't find is whether or not I have an obligation to inform an officer, or whether it is similar to MN law where I only have to tell him if asked.

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
H. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; the date of issuance; and the expiration date. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police. The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 pm 

Yeah, I found that, but that only covers showing the permit and the photo ID. It doesn't cover whether or not I have to immediately inform an officer that I am carrying...

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most sites I've found list Virginia as not having a must-inform law. You may want to just call them, but so far my search has come up 100% in that direction.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 pm 

Virginia also has the novel situation of disallowing concealed carry in a restaurant or other establishment that serves alcohol while permitting open carry in such establishments. Permit holders must either disarm or OC. Also, their law regarding posted businesses has real penalties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:10 am 

Yeah, I saw that. Fun huh?

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

mrokern wrote:
Quote:
The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Apparently, a drivers license from another state doesn't qualify. If you don't have VA id, you need a passport.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm 
The Man

SethB wrote:
mrokern wrote:
Quote:
The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Apparently, a drivers license from another state doesn't qualify. If you don't have VA id, you need a passport.
Yup, in theory. In practice, it'd be real, real hard to find a cop who both a: knew that technicality and b: wanted to make it a problem for a person with a valid DL and outstate carry permit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm 

There have been some cases where VA cops have arrested people with out-of-state permits out of a mistaken belief that there is no reciprocity with other states, at all, passport or no. The last report of this I saw was about a year ago, though, and perhaps things have improved.

The overall level of awareness and acceptance of carry by LEOs in Minnesota is higher than most other places, as near as I can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

IANAL

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... d+18.2-308

Section H (quoted earlier) appears to only apply to the resident Virginia Permit to Carry.

Because the following are spelled out separately, there is likely no requirement for an out of state permit holder to follow section H:

Out of state permits ("issued by another state") is covered under section P. No requirement to show or even carry ID. Not being familiar with Virginia's legalese, I cannot tell if it continues after section P1. (Is P1 a subdivision? or it's own separate section?)

Non-resident permits are covered under P1. This section specifically includes the requirements of carrying the permit only. No other ID appears to be required.

Is the typical police officer going to have any idea about any of this? No. "Permit and ID please. Thank you."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.