Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 RedStar: Heather Martens: More must be done to protect kids 
 Post subject: RedStar: Heather Martens: More must be done to protect kids
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:09 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

http://www.startribune.com/562/story/341405.html
Quote:
Heather Martens: More must be done to protect kids from guns
MARTENS033106

Last update: March 30, 2006 – 7:39 PM

Heather Martens: More must be done to protect kids from guns
For starters, acknowledge government's failure to repair our weak gun laws.
Heather Martens

The Star Tribune's March 23 editorial "Perception of youth crime not a reality" discusses only a decline in the perpetration of violence by youth, totally missing a major problem we still face. Our children and youth are increasingly the victims of violence, particularly gun violence. Even as we remember the deaths of six children and four others at Red Lake a year ago last week, two more children were shot Sunday night in Minneapolis. Yet we as a state are not doing all we can to protect our children from gun violence -- not even close.
In 2003, 40 Minnesota children and youth were killed by gunfire, an increase over the year before. Non-fatal gun injuries in Minnesota children and teens have nearly doubled since 1999. In St. Paul recently, a 16-year-old girl was rescued from a convicted sex offender who had used a gun to kidnap and force her into prostitution. Children in some neighborhoods live in constant fear. To editorialize that "communities, schools and families" alone must act is to ignore the failure of government to repair our weak gun laws.

As the Star Tribune reported, there has been a nationwide decline in the number of federally licensed gun dealers. Thus, fewer gun dealers are required by the 1993 Brady Law to conduct background checks on gun purchasers. Because of a loophole in the Brady Law, criminals and other dangerous people can buy guns at gun shows without a background check -- as did the Hennepin County Government Center shooter. Despite the loophole, the Brady Law has prevented 1.4 million dangerous people from buying guns. Let's close the gun-show loophole. Let's publicly disclose the source of crime guns, so those channels can be closed to criminals. And let's adopt and enforce child access prevention laws with real teeth, as well as simple safety requirements for guns, such as chamber-loaded indicators.

U.S. children 5 to 14 are 17 times likelier to die from gunfire than their peers in other wealthy nations -- despite similar levels of violent crime. When we resolved to reduce traffic death and injury, we adopted a public health approach, and it worked. Despite gun-trade profiteers' claims that "nothing works," a public health approach to gun violence prevention does work. All that's lacking is the will.

Heather Martens, Minneapolis, is a board member of Citizens for a Safer Minnesota, www.endgunviolence.com.

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Among lots of other things, this one stuck out:

"as well as simple safety requirements for guns, such as chamber-loaded indicators."

If a child does not know how to use a gun, there is no way they are going to know what a loaded chamber indicator is, or why/when you should check it. Idiots.

EDIT- Found something else:

"When we resolved to reduce traffic death and injury, we adopted a public health approach, and it worked."

hmmm. Yes, to reduce speeding, MNDOT raised the speed limit. Public health approach would have said to reduce the limit. BTW- The study showed a reduction in average speed. So, I submit again that pushing more guns out there will reduce gun deaths.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Found a typo:
Quote:
Heather Martens, Minneapolis, is a board member of Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

Let me fix that...

Quote:
Heather Martens, Minneapolis, is <strike>a board member of</strike> Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

That's better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Criminals and other dangerous people"? To me Heather and her group pose a real threat to me and my safety. Doesn't that make her dangerous by definition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:06 pm 
Delicate Flower

Where is the "barf" emoticon when I need it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:18 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Found a typo:
Quote:
Heather Martens, Minneapolis, is a board member of Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

Let me fix that...

Quote:
Heather Martens, Minneapolis, is <strike>a board member of</strike> Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

That's better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.